IGNORED

Go Bill Nye!

deelaem

How long before Zsu and the others jump on this gorgeous tidbit?

Credit: Araya Diaz/WireImageIn a clip posted to online knowledge forum Big Think via YouTube, former children's show host Bill Nye spoke out against the denial of evolution, saying such views harm young people especially and hamper scientific progress.

Nye, who hosted the educational show "Bill Nye the Science Guy," which aired on PBS Kids from 1993 through 1998, made the statements in a clip posted online on Thursday, and has since been viewed over one million times. In the clip, Nye praises the United States for its contribution to technological innovation, but says that the denial of evolution is unique to the country.

"People still move to the United States. And that's largely because of the intellectual capital we have, the general understanding of science," Nye said in the clip. "When you have a portion of the population that doesn't believe in that, it holds everybody back, really.

"Evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology. It's like, it's very much analogous to trying to do geology without believing in tectonic plates. You're just not going to get the right answer. Your whole world is just going to be a mystery instead of an exciting place," he added.

Nye made a three-stop tour through New Hampshire earlier this summer to tout President Obama's education policies while making a push for science and engineering programs. He has endorsed Obama's reelection bid.

In the clip, Nye said that one's "world just becomes fantastically complicated when you don't believe in evolution."

"Here are these ancient dinosaur bones or fossils, here is radioactivity, here are distant stars that are just like our star but they're at a different point in their lifecycle. The idea of deep time, of this billions of years, explains so much of the world around us. If you try to ignore that, your world view just becomes crazy, just untenable, itself inconsistent," he said.

Nye then goes on to urge adults not to deny the teaching of evolution to young people.

"And I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that's fine, but don't make your kids do it because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need people that can - we need engineers that can build stuff, solve problems.

"It's just really a hard thing, it's really a hard thing. You know, in another couple of centuries that world view, I'm sure, will be, it just won't exist. There's no evidence for it."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bill-nye-science-guy-hits-evolution-deniers-123047918--abc-news-tech.html

I love me some Bill Nye.

The US really has an interesting blend. We have some of the most awesome research going on here. Scientists from all over the world come to my university to participate in research.

And at my children's school, evolution is never addressed because then they would have to teach Biblical creation in science class.

I think Bill Nye should talk to Kirk Cameron and his banana loving friend Ray Comfort.

I think Bill Nye should talk to Kirk Cameron and his banana loving friend Ray Comfort.

And would OWN him, whilst wearing a bow tie and a blue lab coat.

I love the 1 commenter who called Bill Nye a supporter of the "Obuma" agenda and said that science is the devil. But the Christian domionism agenda's alright, amirite? I also love 1 commenter that said they won't allow science to take their child. These people are fuckin' crazy nuts! I seriously wonder if they read here sometimes... Oh well. We may never know. * shrugs shoulders *

I love the 1 commenter who called Bill Nye a supporter of the "Obuma" agenda and said that science is the devil. But the Christian domionism agenda's alright, amirite? I also love 1 commenter that said they won't allow science to take their child. These people are fuckin' crazy nuts! I seriously wonder if they read here sometimes... Oh well. We may never know. * shrugs shoulders *

For the sake of my blood pressure and mental health, I try never to read the comments. But I imagine that if our fave fundies blog about this, their words will be about the same.

Bill Nye :bow-yellow: :bow-blue:

Well there's another reason people should want to be educated: so they don't back up their opponents' points without realizing it.

Clearly, Neanderthals still walk among us.

I puffy heart Bill Nye and I'm glad he called it like it is.

All the while they are enjoying the benefits science has given us, including the internet where they can make ridiculous comments like this.

For the sake of my blood pressure and mental health, I try never to read the comments.

I read some, and the calm and logical pro-science folks are holding forth in large numbers and quite nicely, especially by Youtube-comment standards.

And may the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless Bill Nye. (we need an FSM smiley!)

I admit that Bill Nye and Mr. Wizard were my pin up mens, in place of Kirk Cameron, when I was a teen.

Oh, Bill Nye, you're smart, unafraid to speak up, and you look fantastic in a bow tie. What's not to love?

And at my children's school, evolution is never addressed because then they would have to teach Biblical creation in science class.

This stance never makes sense to me. Why not also address every culture/religion's creation story then? Why is it "teach biblical creation as well or nothing at all"?

Drives me crazy.

Dear science hating fundies:

Please take off the eyeglasses, because they were created by science. Take off your pants and dresses that were sewn by machines- science. Turn off your stoves and ovens that you use to cook- cooking is a form of chemistry, which is a science (and don't grow your own food, because that will use crop science perfected over many generations of time). Get out of the car, turn off your heat/AC, don't ever use a canned good, take aspirin or any other medication. Don't visit a hospital. Don't use electricity in any form. Don't flush the toilet or use running water. Don't live in a house that has any kind of energy-saving mechanisms, even insulation. All these things exist because intelligent scientific minds created them, and if you hate science so much, stop benefiting from it. Now.

Love, Reality

For the sake of my blood pressure and mental health, I try never to read the comments. But I imagine that if our fave fundies blog about this, their words will be about the same.

I told myself not to read the comments. Unfortunately, I did not listen.

I hate it when people try to disproove something they do not understand and do not want to research by providing a snazzy quip. Fundies are very good at this. Of course in the comments was one of my favorite ones (and by favorite I mean maddening): "It takes as much faith to believe in science as it does to believe in god".

No it doesn't take faith, it takes data.

ETA: bad fundie science makes me riffle a lot

Anyone know where you can buy/see old episodes of Bill Nye? I'd LOVE them for my kids and they aren't airing locally.

Check Amazon and your library. I know there are Bill Nye DVDs; we've gotten a few from our library because I missed the Bill Nye years on PBS. There's one on pseudoscience. :) Not sure if they're still easy to get, but they do exist.

(Also, not kid-level, but the Bad Astronomer has a good blog with lots of sciencey fun.)

From the comments on the CNN article about this:

If you study the evidence you would be certain that evolution is not a viable option. Just super silly.

Oh, how I wish I had my thesis defense to do all over again.

Dr. X, your alternative hypothesis explaining the hyper-activation of the enzyme by my mutated protein is not an option. It is just super silly.

Go Bill Nyel! !!!!! My hero. I am a science teacher and I get so tired of hearing we dont need science.t

Bill Nye came to my Dad's work for Bring Your Child to Work Day. That was such a thrill for me as a kid and I still remember it vividly.

Denial of evolution is to deny that everything in life is in a constant state of change. Nothing is in a fixed state. I find that to be beautiful and awe-inspiring.

I don't get why Fundies think that you can't believe in G-d and accept that evolution is truth. I believe in G-d, and I believe that evolution is true. Not that difficult.

Thanks for the great idea of checking the library. Ours had 147 titles when I searched for Bill Nye. I don't know if they're all his show. I put "Evolution" & "Fossils" on hold for my kids in honor of this thread

Parents, are there any science shows on the teevees anymore? I was having this discussion with my friend the other day, that when I was a kid/teens we had Bill NYE, Beekman's World, and Mr. Wizard. I wasnt sure if there arere science shows left on teevee or not.

Bill NYE FTW. I am so grateful growing up with a father who loved science. His favorite book was Cosmos by Carl Sagan, and he would sit and watch Mr. Wizard with me. I now realize how lucky I was.

Archived