IGNORED

Paul Ryan: Rape is just another form of conception

Lillybee

Females are not a minority in the US; we actually outnumber males!

We totally outnumber them, but not in places of power. That does not matter if we vote in one giant not-white-heterosexual-male-protestant block. They are the true minority in numbers, and they only have power because people let them have it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My magical baby place just shrank in disbelief and horror:angry-fire: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

This is a first for me. I have never been on the verge of tears because of some shit a politician said.

You're not alone there, this upset me a lot more than most of the shit people spew.

My mother worked really hard to give me a better world in which to be female. She burned bras, was harassed and hit by policemen at protests, and just generally pissed people off. Her generation did a great job of making headway for us. I want the same for my daughters, for them to have it better than my generation did. I am willing to fight for it, and I am willing to be the evil bitchy feminazi stereotype if I have to.

Jesus H Fing Christ - what is happening in this country? Seriously, someone tell me what is happening in this country?? What disgusts me more than I can say is that I heard NPR interviewing some woman who said that while she thinks that perhaps (!) Akin shouldn't have said it, the bottom line is that she is proud of his pro-life stance. Seriously?? In the 21st century we are at a place in this country where we would condemn a rape victim to a forced pregnancy??? Every single day I hear something else from some mouth-breathing asshole in politics reminding me that as a woman I am less worthy of the respect and autonomy due a man. Fuck them. Fuck them hard.

My mother worked really hard to give me a better world in which to be female. She burned bras, was harassed and hit by policemen at protests, and just generally pissed people off. Her generation did a great job of making headway for us. I want the same for my daughters, for them to have it better than my generation did. I am willing to fight for it, and I am willing to be the evil bitchy feminazi stereotype if I have to.

I think you've really hit the nail on the head, Emmie. We are a generation removed from the struggle for women's rights, and as a result, we've largely forgotten the hurdles our parents and grandparents have jumped through in order to secure a better world for us. Feminism needs more attention in schools and the world at large.

I think you've really hit the nail on the head, Emmie. We are a generation removed from the struggle for women's rights, and as a result, we've largely forgotten the hurdles our parents and grandparents have jumped through in order to secure a better world for us. Feminism needs more attention in schools and the world at large.

This and this. Every time I hear a young woman express a feminist thought but say she isn't a feminist, part of me dies.

Whew! I thought the article said that Ryan thought that rape was a form of contraception (as in agreeing with Akin and one-upping him). :shock:

I really hope that's not the next step.

Jesus H Fing Christ - what is happening in this country? Seriously, someone tell me what is happening in this country?? What disgusts me more than I can say is that I heard NPR interviewing some woman who said that while she thinks that perhaps (!) Akin shouldn't have said it, the bottom line is that she is proud of his pro-life stance. Seriously?? In the 21st century we are at a place in this country where we would condemn a rape victim to a forced pregnancy??? Every single day I hear something else from some mouth-breathing asshole in politics reminding me that as a woman I am less worthy of the respect and autonomy due a man. Fuck them. Fuck them hard.

Gizmola, you said this much better then I could have. The R politicians in this country are really starting to scare me. They don't value 50% of the country which they are supposed to be representing. I don't like where the country is going to go if the crazies get elected and are able to appoint 3 supreme court judges too, it makes me very scared to even envision that. The country would be going in the wrong direction!

This and this. Every time I hear a young woman express a feminist thought but say she isn't a feminist, part of me dies.

Seriously. I am taking a women's studies class at a university and most of the classmates are like, "I would never call myself a feminist, tee hee. I took this class because women are such nasty bitches and I want to understand why we are all so dumb and evil." It is hard not to lose it. They are at college because of feminism, show some RESPECT.

I agree, while I don't have any daughters, I do have my niece to fight for, as her rights are in danger because of these women hating assholes. I'm willing to be called a feminazi, and I consider bitch to stand for "Being In Total Control of Herself." I refuse to let this country enter another Dark Ages as that period as well as the medieval era were when women were burned at the stake because their gender made it easy to accuse them of witchcraft.

I can picture him trying to counsel couples with infertility problems. You could try fertility drugs, IVF, rape...what...why are you yelling and throwing stuff at me? You didn't know rape is another form of conception?

One of emmie's pet fundies came out to play when this went up on facebook. She attempted to defend Ryan and failed. Hard.

ETA:

Seriously. I am taking a women's studies class at a university and most of the classmates are like, "I would never call myself a feminist, tee hee. I took this class because women are such nasty bitches and I want to understand why we are all so dumb and evil." It is hard not to lose it. They are at college because of feminism, show some RESPECT.

I would have fucking lost it. They would have had to remove me from the damn class. I'm mad at your instructor.

You're not alone there, this upset me a lot more than most of the shit people spew.

I wanted to quote all of you, frankly. (Emmiedahl gets a merit badge for her fantastic smackdown, even if the little lambie was too dumb to understand your excellent points).

The last couple of elections have really made me wonder what the fuck is going on in this country. What did my mothers' peers (because she thinks feminism is evil), and my friends of a certain age fight for? Why is the US going backward with all of this "personhood" crap? I am both furious and deeply sad, and I am not at all being articulate right now. He's a very, very dangerous man.

All I can say is: If you are in the US, make sure you vote. Make sure each and every person you know is registered and ready to vote. If you know a single woman (or thinking man) who is thinking about voting for Mittens and RyRy, show them this article.

To him, inhaling paint fumes is surely just another form of breathing.

I can think of no possible reason beyond severe brain damage for anyone to a) believe 99% of the anti-human nonsense being spread around by an alarming number of Repugs, or b) join fortunes with Mitt Romney. (If the United States is lucky, those two will never see the inside of the Oval Office except to tour it, by special invite from a better leader who has taken pity on those idiots, or to empty the trash cans.

But then how lucky can America actually be when those nutbars are the least of the worst the mainstream GOP can barf up to run against a sitting president?)

BTW, America, you're likely about to face another economic crisis – one that will make 2008 look like happy fun times. Which guy – Obama or Romney – do you think will have your best interests in mind when that happens? The answer is most likely 'neither,' in which case you're boned. The second best answer is 'Obama.' (Romney isn't even a viable option, actually. He's more in the nature of a cataclysmic “judgment from God†aimed at the fundies, but who would also screw the rest of you over just because he can.)

I really can't believe this. I really can't believe that this is real. Seriously. I have no way to express my anger! :evil:

By the way, I knew lots of people in college (in Germany though) who were like "oh we don't need feminism/gender studies/etc. anymore, we all have the same rights now!" and I was about to explode everytime I had to listen so something like that. Those people really really annoy me.

To my fellow FreeJingerites thinking about fleeing the country and settling in Europe: I'll consider throwing an asylum party for you. I'll also bake cookies. Seriously, how do you endure this? :?

Another problem is, you have women like my mother. I was talking to her on the phone recently, and she said " I don't like Obama" to which I replied "why?". She said something about her friends not liking him, and that was why. My point is, there are a LOT of people who don't pay attention to politics for a variety of reasons....sometimes people are too busy, or not educated enough to understand. And that is what the GOP thrives on...tired/busy/ignorant people who listen to a couple sound bites, or just vote a certain way because that is what they have traditionally done. I'm working on getting my parents to at least not vote for Romney...they have 4 daughters and are moderately socially liberal. Romney does not represent them at all.

I don't understand why the American election is focussing entirely on UTERUSES (uteri?). Or at least, that seems to be all the news I hear (my news sources are probably biased though).

Who cares what these men think about random women?? Just fuck off and let them make their own decisions. Why do we have to hear all their revolting opinions constantly, do they think anyone cares? MY BODY MY BUSINESS

As I've said before though, I do think if you're pro-life it's more logical to be pro-life for all reasons rather than make exceptions. The people who are pro-life for all reasons are of course, completely crazy, but at least they are consistent and they believe the foetus is a life and shouldn't be able to be aborted because it is a life. The people who say it's okay for disability and rape, but not for choice? They think women should be punished for having sex they enjoy. I actually think they're worse.

I don't understand why the American election is focussing entirely on UTERUSES (uteri?). Or at least, that seems to be all the news I hear (my news sources are probably biased though).

I can't wrap my head around that either. The last couple of days I really tried to understand WHY there is this debate about women's bodies in the first place and why changing legislation concerning abortion and rape are suddenly the most pressing political issues according to conservatives. Is it because focusing on the pro life agenda helps to shift the attention away from other issues such as economics / war / etc.? Or do they think it helps to distinguish themselves from Obama?

I can't wrap my head around that either. The last couple of days I really tried to understand WHY there is this debate about women's bodies in the first place and why changing legislation concerning abortion and rape are suddenly the most pressing political issues according to conservatives. Is it because focusing on the pro life agenda helps to shift the attention away from other issues such as economics / war / etc.? Or do they think it helps to distinguish themselves from Obama?

I don't get it either, and it would be driving me crazy if it was happening in my country. How is abortion something a presidential candidate can even talk about? I also don't get the focus on homosexuality by American politicians. Here if someone wanted to be Prime Minister so much talk on abortion or gay rights would be political suicide. I think, judging on some things our current Prime Minister has said in the past, that the might currently be personally against abortion and same-sex marriage. But he won't "re-open that debate", because holding such views publicly isn't considered an acceptable position for someone in political office.

Is this election really focused as much of UTERUSES as the media is leading me to believe? I find Paul Ryan and other candidates in the American election fucking scary, and I'm still having trouble believing there's a legitimate possibility anyone like that might win anything. If Obama doesn't win the election, I will be legitimately afraid about what the US might become and eternally grateful I don't live there.

Yeah I think it would have horrible consequences for the US if Obama doesn't win. I hope that the way those Republicans act towards women, gay people, African Americans and others helps to convince a lot of people that having Romney and Ryan in charge would make their life truly miserable.

I would really like to read an analysis about how this debate unfolded. Because at first it seemed to me from what I read that it was mostly Santorum who was at the extreme end of things due to religious reasons and so on, but now it seems that the whole GOP Is on board with this rigorous pro life stance.

Archived