IGNORED

Male Birth Control in the news again

Swamptribe

I don't see how they could use the "Hormonal bc is an abortifacient!!11!!!" argument, so it'll be interesting to see how/if they argue against it.

Now they'll have an excuse to sing Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred." They will sing it outside of every Planned Parenthood or other clinic that offers this pill. Because every sperm is sacred, and if you're killing the sperms you're killing TEH BABEHS.

Now they'll have an excuse to sing Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred." They will sing it outside of every Planned Parenthood or other clinic that offers this pill. Because every sperm is sacred, and if you're killing the sperms you're killing TEH BABEHS.

Oh they would have a ball with vasalgel then! That's that polymer in development that literally tears sperm apart as they pass through the vas deferens. I can only imagine the outrage if that ever hits the market.

If sperm counts for the "personhood" laws being enacted, the country will need to build giant internment camps for teenage boys.

I wouldn't trust any man to take this regularly. I just wouldn't. I know that makes me a BCPs are for women only bigot but I just wouldn't trust a man who told me, "I'm on the new male BCP."

I wouldn't trust any man to take this regularly. I just wouldn't. I know that makes me a BCPs are for women only bigot but I just wouldn't trust a man who told me, "I'm on the new male BCP."

I would argue that men shouldn't trust a woman to take her pill regularly either. Both partners should take equal responsibility for contraception. When you leave it all up to the other person, you are losing control of the situation. Just like how you should never trust a partner when they say they're disease free. Women take the pill and carry condoms often because they feel the need to take responsibility. Men should be allowed and expected to do the same.

I would argue that men shouldn't trust a woman to take her pill regularly either. Both partners should take equal responsibility for contraception. When you leave it all up to the other person, you are losing control of the situation. Just like how you should never trust a partner when they say they're disease free. Women take the pill and carry condoms often because they feel the need to take responsibility. Men should be allowed and expected to do the same.

I definitely agree with this. It does not have to be intentional, but some people just have a very difficult time remembering to take an oral contraceptive at roughly the same time every day. I've advised my sons to always assume that the responsibility is theirs, which means a condom each and every time, no exceptions no matter what their partner says, until they're ready to bring a child into the world.

I can't blame you too much is at risk. But it remember it works the other way too.

I see a problem of more unprotected sex because of this.

Male birth control like this would be most useful within a marriage or monogamous relationship where it would take the place of a vasectomy or of the woman getting a tubal ligation. I don't think it's intended for hook-ups and casual flings, in which case condoms should be used regardless.

Male birth control like this would be most useful within a marriage or monogamous relationship where it would take the place of a vasectomy or of the woman getting a tubal ligation. I don't think it's intended for hook-ups and casual flings, in which case condoms should be used regardless.

much better said then what I wrote. though it would still be good to use it to make sure accidents are reduced.

I definitely agree with this. It does not have to be intentional, but some people just have a very difficult time remembering to take an oral contraceptive at roughly the same time every day. I've advised my sons to always assume that the responsibility is theirs, which means a condom each and every time, no exceptions no matter what their partner says, until they're ready to bring a child into the world.

Agree with this. I'd definitely use my own pill for back-up. I think it would be good though for each party to have their own and combined it would be more effective. I can see some people trusting their male partner with it (especially those women who get bad pill side effects) but it depends on your relationship. This boyfriend and the last both trusted me with the pill but I did try to remind them it's their decision and they can use if they aren't comfortable with that.

I agree with this. And I'm certainly teaching my son about personal responsibility and will tell him when he's old enough to use condoms until he's ready to be a father.

But if I were single and could still have babies, I just wouldn't trust someone else to take care of the BC.

I completely agree that this is not for casual sex. I think the real benefit here is that men could double up the way women often do--pill + condom.

A male birth control won't change fundies' view on BC. Fundies say that children are a gift from God and any interference (except for NFP) is in violation of that. They like to talk about the evils of the OCP because it helps reinforce the idea that birth control is bad. However, for the rest of us, male BC would bring relief to many men who can also take control of their reproductive rights. Men often end up relying on women to do this. Although birth control for men won't be as revolutionary as when the pill came out for women, it will change things for men as well. That said, it's also important to stress that condoms should still be worn to protect against STD (unless in a monogamous relationship).

I completely agree that this is not for casual sex. I think the real benefit here is that men could double up the way women often do--pill + condom.

I agree, male birth control could also be used as a backup with a condom, especially when antibiotics make female birth control pills less effective.

If sperm counts for the "personhood" laws being enacted, the country will need to build giant internment camps for teenage boys.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Re the "but is he REALLY using it???" question: When I was young and naive and dating the-person-I-eventually-married-but-shouldn't-have, I asked my gyno, during a checkup, how you can tell whether a guy had had a vasectomy. My very wise doctor replied, "If you have to ask a question like that, you shouldn't be in bed with him."

Archived