IGNORED

The Bible Says More About Unicorns Than Abortion

debrand

http://www.alternet.org/bible-says-more ... loser-read

Here is an interesting article that I found on Alternet

It is easier to prove the existence of unicorns by using the Bible than it is to establish the personhood of a fetus. In fact, it is so hard to make a case against abortion using Christian scripture that for decades most Evangelicals did not even try. Instead, their leaders were silent on the issue or told their followers that abortion was part of the larger feminist agenda to destroy families.

Once I stopped believing, I found that I could appreciate the bible as a work of literature. It amazes me how many Christians don't read their own holy book or if they do, its only a quick read through without any deeper studying. I have a lot of friends who claim that one time they read the bible in a year. My goodness, this is a book that is supposed to answer all the mysteries of life, why read it one time instead of taking your time to study it deeply?

There is nothing in the bible that states that a woman can't have an abortion. It simply isn't there. There are a few verses about specific holy men, but those verses don't apply to the rest of us.

Several verses discuss killing infants and fetuses. Christians dodge these verses by claiming that the bible is only reporting the deeds. Yet, in some cases God either rewards the participants or they are held up as examples of godly men. In other cases, god does indeed order genocide.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonab ... d-killing/

God will punish women by aborting their fetus through a miscarriage.

“Give them, O LORD–what will You give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts.†(Hosea 9:14)

God teaches the use of a bizarre ritual using cursed “bitter water†to abort a fetus who was conceived through infidelity. (Numbers 5:11-21)

God orders Moses to kill every Midianite woman who was no longer a virgin. (many of these women would obviously have been pregnant) (Numbers 31:15-18)

God promises to destroy the infants of Samaria and rip open the stomachs of pregnant women.

The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open. (Hosea 13:16)

God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah to be ripped open.

At that time Menahem, starting out from Tirzah, attacked Tiphsah and everyone in the city and its vicinity, because they refused to open their gates. He sacked Tiphsah and ripped open all the pregnant women. (2 Kings 15:16)

God commands the killing of infants and nursing babies.

Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. (1 Samuel 15:3)

God repays your enemies by destroying their babies.

Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us. He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. (Psalms 137:8-9)

• 1 month later...
http://www.alternet.org/bible-says-more-about-unicorns-fetuses-maybe-anti-choice-christians-should-take-closer-read

Here is an interesting article that I found on Alternet

Several verses discuss killing infants and fetuses. Christians dodge these verses by claiming that the bible is only reporting the deeds. Yet, in some cases God either rewards the participants or they are held up as examples of godly men. In other cases, god does indeed order genocide.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonab ... d-killing/

Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us. He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. (Psalms 137:8-9)

So much for the "innocence of the unborn" argument, which is the fallback response of the anti-choicers when asked why they aren't so terribly concerned about the babies who are already born.

I never understood how being anti-abortion is Biblical. It's much easier, and more logical, if such a word could apply to the Bible, to use Biblical backing for why abortion is just fine. If you say the Bible is perfect and the answer to everything, why wouldn't you want to read it to know exactly what it says? I am totally pro Unicorn:)

The penalty for striking a woman and causing a miscarriage is damages, while causing someone to die gets the death penalty. That's the clearest example of how death of fetus does not = death of person.

The penalty for striking a woman and causing a miscarriage is damages, while causing someone to die gets the death penalty. That's the clearest example of how death of fetus does not = death of person.

Yes. There is really no biblical justification against abortion. Now that I'm not a Christian, I realize that a lot of what is accepted as Christian by conservatives is actually cultural not biblical.

Interesting, now I want the unicorn verses!

It is from the KJV and is a mistranslation of the original text

Nu 23:22 - God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Nu 24:8 - God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Job 39:9 - Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Job 39:10 - Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Ps 29:6 - He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Ps 92:10 - But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

A little OT: I explained to my brother last week that he's going to hell anyway because he wears mixed fibers (when he insults gay and lesbians when talking about him with my mother who doesn't like that like me), eats animals that were onced hooved. He asked me where I got it from; and I explained Leviticus, where it also supports for gays and lesbians to be stoned. I told him I read the Bible almost every Sunday, that's how I know. He told me that I shouldn't read it because that's messed up, and I'm thinking WTF? :shock: Are we still living at the beginning of the Reformation where people had to be told by hypocritical crusader priests what was in the Bible, rather than anaylsing and interpreting it; thus concluding that most of its ancient laws aren't fit for modern times? I can't believe he has that mindset.

I wanted to remind him that the whole point of Christianity was to live by Jesus's teachings, not Paul and Peters', because Jesus wanted a less strict Jewish law during his life, but I bet that he wouldn't understand that.

I remember somewhere in my history textbook that the Church didn't want the Catholic Bible to be published in people's native languages after Martin Luther's translation, because it was immoral. :lol: How can a holy book that they used for crusades and torture to back up their heinious crusades, and inquisitions can be immoral, I wonder? :whistle:

Also, you can make pretty solid case for fire-breathing dragons in the Bible too ;)

From Job 41

18 His sneezings flash forth light,

and his eyes are like the eyelids of the dawn.

19 Out of his mouth go flaming torches;

sparks of fire leap forth.

20 Out of his nostrils comes forth smoke,

as from a boiling pot and burning rushes.

21 His breath kindles coals,

and a flame comes forth from his mouth.

I never can understand the need for an arguement with some towith becausr the bible says so. I feel that once a discusion comes to because the bible says so ding you losr. On most occasions.

A little OT: I explained to my brother last week that he's going to hell anyway because he wears mixed fibers (when he insults gay and lesbians when talking about him with my mother who doesn't like that like me), eats animals that were onced hooved. He asked me where I got it from; and I explained Leviticus, where it also supports for gays and lesbians to be stoned. I told him I read the Bible almost every Sunday, that's how I know. He told me that I shouldn't read it because that's messed up, and I'm thinking WTF? :shock: Are we still living at the beginning of the Reformation where people had to be told by hypocritical crusader priests what was in the Bible, rather than anaylsing and interpreting it; thus concluding that most of its ancient laws aren't fit for modern times? I can't believe he has that mindset.

I wanted to remind him that the whole point of Christianity was to live by Jesus's teachings, not Paul and Peters', because Jesus wanted a less strict Jewish law during his life, but I bet that he wouldn't understand that.

I remember somewhere in my history textbook that the Church didn't want the Catholic Bible to be published in people's native languages after Martin Luther's translation, because it was immoral. :lol: How can a holy book that they used for crusades and torture to back up their heinious crusades, and inquisitions can be immoral, I wonder? :whistle:

Snark: The translation itself isn't immoral- people deciding for themselves what the bible says is immoral.

History: IIRC, it was the languages themselves that were considered to be immoral, Latin was the language of the Church and thus the language of God, by translating the Bible, you were defiling God's word.

Snark: The translation itself isn't immoral- people deciding for themselves what the bible says is immoral.

History: IIRC, it was the languages themselves that were considered to be immoral, Latin was the language of the Church and thus the language of God, by translating the Bible, you were defiling God's word.

Some parts of the Bible are immoral, though. God ordering genocide? How is that not immoral to the 10 Commandments? Wouldn't it (the language of Christianity) technically be Hebrew, because that's what Jesus spoke and not Latin? :? But then again the various Christian branches claimed that a Jew killed Jesus even if it was a Roman. Maybe the Church used "the it's a Jew who killed Jesus and that's why we speak Latin" to make themselves look good so that people wouldn't rebel? :whistle:

The author misses one very special before-birth relationship - that of Jesus/virgin birth.

Otherwise yeah, there isn't a lot of anti-choice/abortion stuff in the bible at all.

The "original" organized church, Catholicism, originally allowed abortion within the first 3 months...much like the norm today.

It is from the KJV and is a mistranslation of the original text

Nu 23:22 - God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Nu 24:8 - God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Job 39:9 - Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Job 39:10 - Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Ps 29:6 - He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Ps 92:10 - But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Yes, it's a mistranslation: the animal referred to in the original Hebrew was the aurochs, or wild ox. Hardly anyone in 17th-century England had heard of the aurochs and even fewer had seen one (the last one in existence died in captivity in 1627 in Poland). OTOH, everybody knew about unicorns. They were popular subjects for art.

BTW, an aurochs bull resembled a Spanish fighting bull, except about 50 percent bigger, and with longer horns. Reread the above verses with that in mind.

Back on topic: Correct the translation and there's still more evidence in the Bible for the existence of unicorns than there is for divine forbiddance of abortion.

This is for reals??? Unicorns are in those verses??? Your not just being snarky???

It is in the King Jamers Version of the bible and is a mistranslation of the original language. But yes, unicorns are in that particular version of the bible.

The author misses one very special before-birth relationship - that of Jesus/virgin birth.

Otherwise yeah, there isn't a lot of anti-choice/abortion stuff in the bible at all.

The "original" organized church, Catholicism, originally allowed abortion within the first 3 months...much like the norm today.

I lurked on Yahoo!questions, and some1 asked why abstinance didn't work for Mary. Biblical leg-humpers thought this person was sick in the head, or used the she was impregnatedbyGod!excuse because Jesus's an exception, what with being the Son of God and all. :roll:

Archived