IGNORED

Fundie Sighting

Ralar

Fundie update from the beach: I went out with the kids' cooler (btw my eldest is the lifeguard) and the fundie mom walked right over to me, gave me what I thought were tracts, and told me my sons need to be covered up. Thanks, random stranger whom I did not asked for advice. BTW, those kids are wearing the modest wear suits we've seen here, not wetsuits. So here's the best part.. I came back home and actually looked at the tracts before I threw them away and they are.. wait for it.. advertisements for the next Gothard conference, as well as a character thing, and "Why Homeschool?". I had to come share this randomness with you all. Yes, I'm completely obsessed with these goofballs. I don't see the yard getting mowed today.

Wow, that is some serious nerve right there. :doh:

That's unusual. Usually the men are in long sleeved white shirts and long black pants. The boys and men also wear undergarments called Tzitzit which must be friggin' awful in hot weather. The girls don't wear a head covering until married, but the boys cover their heads from 13 on. Where the boys and men's heads covered? Did they have little strings hanging out from underneath their shirts? If not then they were most likely not Orthodox Jews. What they were might be harder to determine.

Yes, the men and boys wore yarmulkes. I think there was a mix of groups so it was hard to determine who belonged with who. I saw a few older men dressed in white shirts and pants but the women seemed to be wearing at least two layers on all body parts AND doing all the donkey work. The smaller boys with them wore shorts and the little girls wore lots of layers so I'm not sure what was going on, as much as I would have liked to ask!

So a couple of weeks ago I went to lunch with my coworkers at a local diner. It's a small place, so we were seated fairly close to another semi-large group. They weren't fundie, exactly. More like mainstream evangelical. I think I noticed it first but eventually all of my coworkers noticed the extensive Jesus talk. I actually burst out laughing when I heard someone say something about being on fire for Jesus. I just couldn't help myself. Apparently they were planning/putting together some big revival concert thing at their school in California? I don't even know. It was funny though.

grateful1230, I'm kind of jealous that you have your very own fundie antagonists.

Another update from the beach: Yes this woman has amazing nerve, and I'd like to take a bow for my ability to bite my tongue. It's honestly more than I thought I ever had, but I believe part of it is because I can't wait to come home and tell you all :)

I never thought Gothardites were actively recruiting, perhaps she was out of the Jeebus saves tracts? Around here, I'd find that believeable. It's a great community, but we certainly have our share of alcohol swiggin, swearing, bikini clad, etc. locals.

So...the boys were invited over for an "early supper". Needless to say I went with them. Yes, I was picturing insane things, and some of them I saw. First off, the "early supper" was the kids actual dinner. It consisted of some casserole (I swear, but it wasn't TTC) and cheezits. My boys did eat what was on their plate and turned down seconds. I did not eat, instead I played off like I simply had to watch my kids and couldn't be bothered with eating (hahaha). There was the oddest Christian music I have ever heard playing, and the Headship was not there. I'm not sure that he's here at all, as I have yet to see him. Also, my boys were asked to take off their shoes (sandals) at the door, and yes I made them put on tshirts before we went over.

There's a million other details, and I also took some pics of the kids together but I don't have photoshop etc on my computer. I don't want to post pics of kids without blocking out faces at least. I've got to go finish my kids' actual dinner. Random comments from my smart ass kids: MOM! What did they do to get fed that junk? Hey mom, I know I said I wanted a sister but I was kidding ok? Mom, can I tell them you're a lesbian (Sure buddy)

I'll come back in a bit and post more. There are a zillion random details floating around in my FJ rattled brain that I want to share, but the stove and dinner are calling.

Where the boys and men's heads covered? Did they have little strings hanging out from underneath their shirts? If not then they were most likely not Orthodox Jews. What they were might be harder to determine.

I work with a man who converted to Orthodox Judaism due to his wife who is Orthodox. There is a small but thriving Orthodox community in my town and one Orthodox shul, (that I know of.) However, if you were to look at them, you would never know this family is Jewish, much less Orthodox. The woman wears pants, shorts, t-shirts at times, but when in public mostly wears dresses, skirts and a kerchief on her head. Her husband's name is Kristian, which is an ironic complication. My friend told me that depending upon his conversion he might be asked to change his name. So far, he has not.

They don't keep kosher and at times Kristian has to work on Saturdays, so that must be somewhat difficult. They have avoided cutting their child's hair and will not until he's three, since that is Jewish custom. Go figure. I realize it's none of my business but I have tried to think it through from time to time.

I work with a man who converted to Orthodox Judaism due to his wife who is Orthodox. There is a small but thriving Orthodox community in my town and one Orthodox shul, (that I know of.) However, if you were to look at them, you would never know this family is Jewish, much less Orthodox. The woman wears pants, shorts, t-shirts at times, but when in public mostly wears dresses, skirts and a kerchief on her head. Her husband's name is Kristian, which is an ironic complication. Another Conservative Jewish friend told me that depending upon his conversion he might be asked to change his name. So far, he has not.

They don't keep kosher and at time Kristian has to work on Saturdays, so that must be somewhat difficult. They have avoided cutting their child's hair and will not until he's three, since that is Jewish custom. Go figure. I realize it's none of my business but I have tried to think it through to no avail.

Another update from the beach: Yes this woman has amazing nerve, and I'd like to take a bow for my ability to bite my tongue. It's honestly more than I thought I ever had, but I believe part of it is because I can't wait to come home and tell you all :)

I never thought Gothardites were actively recruiting, perhaps she was out of the Jeebus saves tracts? Around here, I'd find that believeable. It's a great community, but we certainly have our share of alcohol swiggin, swearing, bikini clad, etc. locals.

So...the boys were invited over for an "early supper". Needless to say I went with them. Yes, I was picturing insane things, and some of them I saw. First off, the "early supper" was the kids actual dinner. It consisted of some casserole (I swear, but it wasn't TTC) and cheezits. My boys did eat what was on their plate and turned down seconds. I did not eat, instead I played off like I simply had to watch my kids and couldn't be bothered with eating (hahaha). There was the oddest Christian music I have ever heard playing, and the Headship was not there. I'm not sure that he's here at all, as I have yet to see him. Also, my boys were asked to take off their shoes (sandals) at the door, and yes I made them put on tshirts before we went over.

There's a million other details, and I also took some pics of the kids together but I don't have photoshop etc on my computer. I don't want to post pics of kids without blocking out faces at least. I've got to go finish my kids' actual dinner. Random comments from my smart ass kids: MOM! What did they do to get fed that junk? Hey mom, I know I said I wanted a sister but I was kidding ok? Mom, can I tell them you're a lesbian (Sure buddy)

I'll come back in a bit and post more. There are a zillion random details floating around in my FJ rattled brain that I want to share, but the stove and dinner are calling.

I'm kinda confused. How did you make the transition from the beach to an alien strangers house?

I'm kinda confused. How did you make the transition from the beach to an alien strangers house?

I was side-eyeing the first post, and I'm assuming I'm far from the only one. We'll see how this pans out...

Fundie update from the beach: I went out with the kids' cooler (btw my eldest is the lifeguard) and the fundie mom walked right over to me, gave me what I thought were tracts, and told me my sons need to be covered up. Thanks, random stranger whom I did not asked for advice. BTW, those kids are wearing the modest wear suits we've seen here, not wetsuits. So here's the best part.. I came back home and actually looked at the tracts before I threw them away and they are.. wait for it.. advertisements for the next Gothard conference, as well as a character thing, and "Why Homeschool?". I had to come share this randomness with you all. Yes, I'm completely obsessed with these goofballs. I don't see the yard getting mowed today.

Well I think we know whose house the FJ reunion will be at.

So a couple of weeks ago I went to lunch with my coworkers at a local diner. It's a small place, so we were seated fairly close to another semi-large group. They weren't fundie, exactly. More like mainstream evangelical. I think I noticed it first but eventually all of my coworkers noticed the extensive Jesus talk. I actually burst out laughing when I heard someone say something about being on fire for Jesus. I just couldn't help myself. Apparently they were planning/putting together some big revival concert thing at their school in California? I don't even know. It was funny though.

I once overheard a fundie light guy arguing with a girl (maybe fundie light but questioning, or maybe he was trying to convert her) in the library about whether something or other was acceptable...Jesus and love and sin came up a lot. The guy honestly just sounded like a bully. He was talking over her and being condescending. It was one of those conversations where one person (the guy) is probably wrong and the other person (the girl) knows that but the wrong person's got a bunch of random facts memorized (or Bible verses in this case) and the right person can't argue against them with no means to do research so the person with all the "facts" struts triumphantly all over the metaphorical chessboard and gets an unwarranted ego boost. I hope he wasn't the girl's boyfriend, because he was talking to her like she was a particularly stupid child.

I saw Andrea and Rusty Yates and all their children this weekend.

But seriously, I was at a festival in Kansas making pizza. It was Sunday afternoon. Five little stair-stepped boys come running up to my booth, and their mother comes straggling along behind them, pushing the stroller. Dad is not far behind.

Dad ordered a pizza, while the mom and kids wandered over to the playground. I made it and asked him if he would like 8 slices cut, since there were so many boys (I usually cut 6 in a 10" pie). He left and came back a little while later and ordered another pizza. This time he was carrying the baby girl that I didn't see in the stroller before. He ordered another pizza. I had a hard time not asking him all about the five boys, and I DID say, "Now that you have your girl, you can stop!" cheerfully, as he walked away. There was more conversation than that but I kind of feel bad for saying that. But really, all I could think of was Andrea Yates.

We live across the street from the beach. The Interesting People are renting a house four down from ours.

ETA:My boys were invited over while I was out with them for the early supper. That's an odd phrase even around these southern parts, nevermind the fact that these are Interesting People, so I went with them to the aliens house

Dragging this thread back up to announce that I had a Mennonite woman hand me a tract today on the street. Tract was from Chrisitan Light Publications, which is an American Mennonite company. The "About Us" section of its website sounds distinctly evangelical, though. Her tract states she was from the Maranatha Conservative Mennonite Church. My city is definitely not the closest city to her Church, so she must be making a point of hitting up different cities with her tracts. Her tract tells the story of a man named George Mueller, who sounds like your typical evangelical.

I didn't realize evangelical Mennonites were a thing. Is this a recent trend, like with evangelicals among the Amish?

There were some garden variety skirts-only kids running in a fun run earlier this summer. It seemed totally miserable. There were three or four tween/teenage girls wearing mid-calf dresses and tennis shoes. Their three or four younger brothers ran in Dockers-style pants and polo shirts. Some of them still beat me, though. :(

• 5 weeks later...

Today I met up with some people off craigslist to buy a n ew tricycle they had. Never used and only 20 dollars. Anyways,t was a fundie family the mom drove a suburban with "they wages of sin is death" across the back. Mom was typical skirt only and long hair. I handed her the money and they husband snatched it out of her hand and told her to get in the car, then they drove off. I was so sad when I left she seemed so sweet and he was scary. He had the most evil eyes.

Archived