IGNORED

Fundie Sighting

Ralar

I'm on my wat to pick up my daughter at summer campin the Pocomos. We stopped in a Dunkin Donuts a few minutes ago. Ahead of me inline was a young Amish couple. I thought they were Amish, but to strike p a conversation, I asked if they were Amish or Mennonite. The woman responded that hey were Amish. I mentioned that my fiancée lives near Lancaster (PA) and the man said they originate from that area. They were working at a flea market across he treat from the DD.

They spoke wih only a slight accen and were very polite. They let a couple go ahead of them, while they decided what to order. There must hve been others working with them because hey left with several coffees and Hot chocolates, and a box of donuts.

My fiancée said the man used the electric hand dryer (in the woman's restroom, there was both an electric dryer and paper towels). I guess they can use electricity outside their homes?

Not much to share, but I thought I'd hare anyhow.

Interesting encounter, thanks for sharing :)

I think ( no expert on Amish rules) that there are different levels and guidelines among different groups, but even the strict no-electricity Amish will often have a communal phone, say, so using public amenities would probably be okay for most.

Interesting encounter!

From what I've read, some of the Beachy Amish will even use computers. I know there's a Beachy congregation near Bird-in-Hand--perhaps they were converts from a more conservative order. Or maybe they just have a liberal bishop (by Amish standards).

The Amish religion is very much based on the idea of avoiding pridefulness. Therefore, owning a car or electrical devices might incite pride and envy but, hiring someone to drive you doesn't count. ALthough there are some Old Order Amish that are very strict even about usage of appliances outside of the home, like in a public bathroom, I believe that most of them aren't that strict anymore. Some have been against the orange signs on buggies because they are too decorative, but those are the super conservative Amish folks. I've seen Amish folks in modern sneakers, but then they will all have basically the same pair of sneakers. It's almost like if one person has something, then everyone needs to have it in order for it to be okay (if everyone has the sneakers no one will have pride over them). I used to take Greyhound a lot and saw quite a few Amish on nearly every trip Upstate. They didn't seem to have an issue with bathrooms (not sure about their handryer use!) and although they'd always have food with them I did see them use vending machines for coffee and such.

In some orders you can have a gas powered frig and in some areas you can go into stores that have refrigeration (probably gas powered) and instead of lighting they'll have solar tubes (which are really expensive, but also eco-friendly, I totally want them in our house!)

Anyhoo, there are varying amounts. Lots of Amish won't talk to folks in line, they have a very large distrust of "the English" but, I suspect that if they deal with outsiders and have to sell to them that they're more used to talking to random folks. I see them sorta the way I see observant Jews. There are those who are friendly and somewhat lenient and then you have the really closed off anti-social super strict ones and often its hard to tell the difference at first glance!

I used to temp at a Children's hospital in college. And in that 3 months I think that there was rarely a day that didn't go by that I didn't see at least one Amish family. Usually they came to the hospital in large groups. I'd sometimes see the kids that were going to the hospital. The Amish have a very high incidence of several genetic conditions. I was told that they have run electricity to some towns in order to power the machines that the kids need to survive as well as phone service or cell phones for the parents. They've also built mini-clinics in their towns and employed "English" doctors to care for the children. They do this without insurance and as a community. They will not, even the really liberal ones, use birth control so some families have several very ill children. I find this to be incredibly unfortunate. On the other hand, their sense of community and helping each other is so amazing and admirable.

The Amish around here are very friendly with the "Englischers." The kinds of things they are allowed to use and wear has to go through the Bishop. Usually the Bishop of the district decides whether an issue (hooks and eyes rather than straight pins, or riding in a van with a hired driver, just for random example) is worthy of a vote, and if he decides it is then the men of the district vote on it. This only applies to what I know of the Amish communities around here in Ohio. Other communities might do things differently.

Me too me too!

My fundie encounter took place at an indoor pool where my sons take lesson. I passed a woman in the hallway wearing a black lycra headcovering which sparked my interest, and then later I saw her walking by the pool in full out frumper swimwear. It was blue and brown floral pattern with sleeves covering the elbow, a full skirt, and the leggings. She was covered.

I've seen her more than once now. She takes an aqua aerobics class with about a dozen other mature ladies, all of whom wear the regular one-piece swimming suits. I wanted to try to get a photo with my phone, but I don't want to stalk her. Also, I have a feeling from observing that the other women treat her with curiosity while keeping her at arms-length.

Me too me too!

My fundie encounter took place at an indoor pool where my sons take lesson. I passed a woman in the hallway wearing a black lycra headcovering which sparked my interest, and then later I saw her walking by the pool in full out frumper swimwear. It was blue and brown floral pattern with sleeves covering the elbow, a full skirt, and the leggings. She was covered.

I've seen her more than once now. She takes an aqua aerobics class with about a dozen other mature ladies, all of whom wear the regular one-piece swimming suits. I wanted to try to get a photo with my phone, but I don't want to stalk her. Also, I have a feeling from observing that the other women treat her with curiosity while keeping her at arms-length.

Good for her for taking the class even though she stands out and people treat her differently.

I served a group of fundie women at work last week. This is an extremely rare sighting around here. No idea what denomination they were. The one who came in the restaurant and bought sandwiches for her group - I knew she was a fundie at first glance even though there was no headcovering. The way she wore her hair, the untweezed eyebrows and complete lack of makeup, the long skirt, very modest top (in the middle of a heat wave), and shoes - it was just the way these were combined that I knew. So I served her and she was nice and everything. Then I watched her go out to her car, and there were several other women dressed exactly like her but with headcoverings the likes of which I've never seen before. They were these white tubes of fabric that hid all their hair and the end that wrapped around their foreheads appeared to be held in place by coloured bands of fabric. Ontario's got some Mennonite communities, but not near me as far as I know.

I admire anyone who has the willpower to exercise regularly! It's got to be daunting to stand by your convictions like that even though you are the only one and it sets you apart for special, not necessarily wanted, attention.

I've seen the tube-like head coverings before as well. At a conference I attended there was a Muslim woman, (a convert by her own admission,) who wore a tube underscarf at all times. It was made of lycra, although she had different patterns and colors and I thought perhaps she made them herself. The tube by itself was not terribly attractive since it hangs awkwardly without a veil covering it. She presented a paper on the "burkini" -- modest swimwear for Muslim women.

I also live among the Amish in Ohio. A few things that surprised me about them : They use disposable diapers. I'm not sure why I found this so surprising, but I did. The teens and 20's watch movies on portable dvd players. The teen boys REALLY go all out on their buggies, with cool lights and wicked stereo systems. They listen to rap and rock and country...everything Yankee boys listen to. The teens like to drink...a lot. They have big field parties.

I have seen Amish girls trying on high heels and running up and down the aisles at Walmart, which made me laugh. My kids went to school with some Amish kids ( until the 8th grade ) and I was room mom to them all. Nice, well behaved kids, with nice parents.

I can't say for certain, but I strongly suspect that they are able to have many modern day (propane powered ) conveniences. I also think that their "outhouses" are actually not too bad...at least, not the kind you'd find at, say, a campground. Again, I don't know for sure. Never been inside an Amish house, only on the porch or in the yard. We have them butcher our leftover 4H poultry every year. ( And they do it for CRAZY cheap! ) :)

I just returned home from the grocery store, where I had the delightful experience of being harassed by a huge family of fundies. I should've known when I saw the 15 passenger van in the parking lot with JESUS SAVES!! followed by a phone number on the back window - but hey, this is tourist season, and I see a lot of very strange things.

So here I am with my younger two (both sarcastic, intelligent 10 year olds) and a cart full of random food as well as an 18 pack of beer. My boys were surrounded by four boys about their age (wearing long pants and polos) while the mom and sisters (looong denim skirts and long sleeved shirts) who told me how alcohol is ebil and we need to accept Jesus, for then I won't need beer. The mom was speechless when I informed her I did not *need* beer, I simply enjoy it.

She also told me all about how my children as well as myself were improperly dressed. I laughed at this, not only because we live on a southern NC island, but I was picturing Zsu and her need to inappropriately tell others how to live. It's approximately 95ish degrees, both boys were wearing swim trunks and tank tops, I'm wearing a bikini with shorts and a tank top over it. I'm looking forward to when she walks into any other store, as most locals don't bother with the tank tops. My boys were polite to the other boys even when my kids told them we are Catholic and believe in God, and the boys said Catholics go to hell. One of my kids did tell him it's not nice to say hell. (YAY me! I raised well mannered kids!) When we got into the car, they both fell over laughing and discussed the Duggars the entire way home. Also they placed a bet on which kid falls over from heat exhaustion first.

My boys also asked me why in the world they were here if they don't like people like us. I'm fairly certain they meant people who live in swimsuits and drink beer (the bars outnumber the restaurants here about 3:1)

My favorite part of the experience was when she asked me if I had more kids. I told her yes, I left the other 15 outside to stare at the store as punishment. Yes, I know. I've had my seat reserved on the bus to hell for years.

!

. I wanted to try to get a photo with my phone, but I don't want to stalk her. Also, I have a feeling from observing that the other women treat her with curiosity while keeping her at arms-length.

Um, don;t ever take a photo with a phone at a pool. That will get you in trouble- in the health clubs here in WI that will get you banned. If god forbid you do it with kids nearby you can get end up getting your hard drive seized and your house searched. Drastic, I know, but they are coming down hard on that kind of stuff. A guy here just got 20 years for taking 'upskirt' photos of little girls at picnic tables and monkey bars. No nudity or genitals, undie pics.

Also, is she fundie Xtian or Muslim? Her attire sounds an awful lot like what the Muslim students wear here.

I just returned home from the grocery store, where I had the delightful experience of being harassed by a huge family of fundies. I should've known when I saw the 15 passenger van in the parking lot with JESUS SAVES!! followed by a phone number on the back window - but hey, this is tourist season, and I see a lot of very strange things.

So here I am with my younger two (both sarcastic, intelligent 10 year olds) and a cart full of random food as well as an 18 pack of beer. My boys were surrounded by four boys about their age (wearing long pants and polos) while the mom and sisters (looong denim skirts and long sleeved shirts) who told me how alcohol is ebil and we need to accept Jesus, for then I won't need beer. The mom was speechless when I informed her I did not *need* beer, I simply enjoy it.

She also told me all about how my children as well as myself were improperly dressed. I laughed at this, not only because we live on a southern NC island, but I was picturing Zsu and her need to inappropriately tell others how to live. It's approximately 95ish degrees, both boys were wearing swim trunks and tank tops, I'm wearing a bikini with shorts and a tank top over it. I'm looking forward to when she walks into any other store, as most locals don't bother with the tank tops. My boys were polite to the other boys even when my kids told them we are Catholic and believe in God, and the boys said Catholics go to hell. One of my kids did tell him it's not nice to say hell. (YAY me! I raised well mannered kids!) When we got into the car, they both fell over laughing and discussed the Duggars the entire way home. Also they placed a bet on which kid falls over from heat exhaustion first.

My boys also asked me why in the world they were here if they don't like people like us. I'm fairly certain they meant people who live in swimsuits and drink beer (the bars outnumber the restaurants here about 3:1)

My favorite part of the experience was when she asked me if I had more kids. I told her yes, I left the other 15 outside to stare at the store as punishment. Yes, I know. I've had my seat reserved on the bus to hell for years.

:clap: I wish I could sound that clever when random strangers are rude to me.

Um, don;t ever take a photo with a phone at a pool. That will get you in trouble- in the health clubs here in WI that will get you banned. If god forbid you do it with kids nearby you can get end up getting your hard drive seized and your house searched. Drastic, I know, but they are coming down hard on that kind of stuff. A guy here just got 20 years for taking 'upskirt' photos of little girls at picnic tables and monkey bars. No nudity or genitals, undie pics.

Also, is she fundie Xtian or Muslim? Her attire sounds an awful lot like what the Muslim students wear here.

Thanks for the reminder about photos at the pool! It was just a passing thought to snap this woman's pic which I rejected immediately since it would be rude, (much less all that other stuff.) Your comment made me realize that the parents at this pool take photos of their children, (and anyone else nearby,) in swim lessons all the time. I see it every day. I don't know why it's okay -- maybe because it's a really small private pool that only gives lessons?

I believe she is fundie Xtian, and she does not wear the tube-style head covering but more of a snood in lycra.

So today I walk to the local yuppy market, do my shopping and get in line behind two women wearing hijab and abaya all black no veils on over their faces. One woman puts a divider down on the belt and I say 'As-Salamu Alaykum'. She ignores me. Most of the woman I greet in town who have unveiled faces will reply accordingly. She doesn't. I smile and continue to observe these woman. Moments later a tall lanky tanned caucasian hippy guy with miles of natty dreds down to his waist and the commensurate tie dyes , walks up to the first woman and hands her a baby and kisses her on the lips while slipping one hand down to her butt cheeks. I avert my eyes and start to fondle my avocados. They check out and exit stage left.

I live in a town with a small Moslem community, little mosque, and all kinds of fundies but I could not figure those three out. I was so WTF when the guy showed up, it was obviously his partner and their child. I'm wondering if they are some skewed Christafarians, but all the local one's I know the women dress like our run of the mill hippy ladies. I've got a text in to a pal who is also a fundy stalker and business owner. I'm anxiously awaiting her input.

riffles due to heat

I have a fundie family that regularly come into my restaurant and request me as their server. For fundies, they're extremely liberal, which might just be par for the course in this area. The father wears a shirt from a screening of Courageous, and the mother and the daughter always wear long skirts and no makeup, but they keep their three younger boys between them and don't seem to pass them off to their daughter- she's usually reading while they take turns carrying a screaming toddler in and out of the restaurant. They never tell me I'm going to hell for wearing pants, and always ask me how school is going. I have a little rainbow pin that my best friend gave me when he went to pride, and they were eyeing it when I first began wearing it, but didn't seem to think I'd taint their food with my hypothetical gayness, and have continued to request my section and leave me 25% tips since. I'd almost think they were some kind of hippie and not overly religious, but they always leave a little, "Jesus loves you!" card in their checkbook and an invitation to their church.

This past weekend I did the annual bike ride my club puts on that goes down to Amish Country here in Ohio. I'm fascinated by the Amish. I guess I kind of admire them in a way, for keeping their culture going and forsaking all this tempting technology that I so enjoy. I dont know what it would be like to be them, but I'd love to spend a day shadowing them. It would be so fascinating.

But, anyway, the lunch stop on this ride is on an Amish farm. (Oh, boy, it's just sandwhich plates but the meat and the bread is SOOOOOoooooOOO good. Not to mention the cookies.) We noted that they actually had solar panels on the roof and a propane powered grill. So I supposed that those fuel resources were okay by God. ;)

Thank you for the compliment Minerva, but credit for my smartass comeback goes to FJ and my years of lurking and laughing here.

Turns out the fundies from yesterday's store trip are renting a house close to ours. My kids just ran back in from the beach to report this to me. They also told me they're all wearing wetsuits (I'm assuming it's that modest swim stuff) and that the boys won't play floatball with them. "Floatball" is a made up game where a kid gets in the huge blow up ball we have while the other kids push them out on the water. Gee I can't imagine why the wetsuit kids won't play with my wild boys.

I'll be going out later to see the wetsuit kids for myself. I doubt the mom will speak to me again tho ;)

A few weekends ago we went to the zoo. There was a large group of either Mennonites or Amish there. The thing that struck me were the shoes - almost all the kids were in Crocs. You'd think the Duggars could at least spring for Crocs for their girls instead of flip-flops.

Anyway, on our way into the zoo I had noticed a large tour bus. After seeing all the Mennonite/Amish folk, I told my husband I bet that they had rented the bus for their trip.

A few weekends ago we went to the zoo. There was a large group of either Mennonites or Amish there. The thing that struck me were the shoes - almost all the kids were in Crocs. You'd think the Duggars could at least spring for Crocs for their girls instead of flip-flops.

Anyway, on our way into the zoo I had noticed a large tour bus. After seeing all the Mennonite/Amish folk, I told my husband I bet that they had rented the bus for their trip.

Ya, it seems like Crocs are Amish approved, but only in sedate colors! no hot pink!!! The older folks seem to prefer those white or black sneakers that have orthopedic qualities. I think Amish folks, for the most part, put value on comfortable and serviceable shoes.I think that as long as the shoes don't have velcro or fancy embellishment they are okay. I guess if I were part of a community that did a lot of physical labor comfortable and washable shoes are a big win :-)

We went to Hershey Park in PA last week and we saw few Orthodox Jewish groups. The women and girls were dressed in long skirts, stockings and long sleeves while the boys were dressed in conservative but weather appropriate (90's) clothing. It really burned my butt to see all the women sweltering in their black clothes and pushing massive baby carriages while the men and boys scampered along unencumbered. Does their god really want women to have heat stroke? My friend and I are both atheists and we were marveling at the self delusion that must take place in order to justify that behavior.

We went to Hershey Park in PA last week and we saw few Orthodox Jewish groups. The women and girls were dressed in long skirts, stockings and long sleeves while the boys were dressed in conservative but weather appropriate (90's) clothing. It really burned my butt to see all the women sweltering in their black clothes and pushing massive baby carriages while the men and boys scampered along unencumbered. Does their god really want women to have heat stroke? My friend and I are both atheists and we were marveling at the self delusion that must take place in order to justify that behavior.

That's unusual. Usually the men are in long sleeved white shirts and long black pants. The boys and men also wear undergarments called Tzitzit which must be friggin' awful in hot weather. The girls don't wear a head covering until married, but the boys cover their heads from 13 on. Where the boys and men's heads covered? Did they have little strings hanging out from underneath their shirts? If not then they were most likely not Orthodox Jews. What they were might be harder to determine.

Our local zoo is very popular with plain people. I think it's a half-way point or a rest stop for them when they are travelling between communities (Lancaster to Ohio/Indiana and back) for events, family stuff, weddings, etc. My sons saw some the last time they went to the zoo with grandparents. Ds1 identified them as "the ladies who wear baskets on their heads".

Fundie update from the beach: I went out with the kids' cooler (btw my eldest is the lifeguard) and the fundie mom walked right over to me, gave me what I thought were tracts, and told me my sons need to be covered up. Thanks, random stranger whom I did not asked for advice. BTW, those kids are wearing the modest wear suits we've seen here, not wetsuits. So here's the best part.. I came back home and actually looked at the tracts before I threw them away and they are.. wait for it.. advertisements for the next Gothard conference, as well as a character thing, and "Why Homeschool?". I had to come share this randomness with you all. Yes, I'm completely obsessed with these goofballs. I don't see the yard getting mowed today.

Woah, you got your own real life Gothard case study right in your backyard!

I didnt know Gothard people went around actively recruiting. What's up with that? On the show, Michelle always acts like what she and her own are doing is their own thing but that they accept the rest of their environment for doing their own thing. For example, they dont go telling random strangers that they need to cover up if they are all at the pool...

So today I walk to the local yuppy market, do my shopping and get in line behind two women wearing hijab and abaya all black no veils on over their faces. One woman puts a divider down on the belt and I say 'As-Salamu Alaykum'. She ignores me. Most of the woman I greet in town who have unveiled faces will reply accordingly. She doesn't. I smile and continue to observe these woman. Moments later a tall lanky tanned caucasian hippy guy with miles of natty dreds down to his waist and the commensurate tie dyes , walks up to the first woman and hands her a baby and kisses her on the lips while slipping one hand down to her butt cheeks. I avert my eyes and start to fondle my avocados. They check out and exit stage left.

I live in a town with a small Moslem community, little mosque, and all kinds of fundies but I could not figure those three out. I was so WTF when the guy showed up, it was obviously his partner and their child. I'm wondering if they are some skewed Christafarians, but all the local one's I know the women dress like our run of the mill hippy ladies. I've got a text in to a pal who is also a fundy stalker and business owner. I'm anxiously awaiting her input.

riffles due to heat

IDK. One of my friends is hiding some pretty impressive dreads under her hijab, so the guy could have been a Muslim hippy convert, and the lady could have just been not in the mood to talk or something. IDK. Fonddling her butt in public is weird though. Most Muslims wouldn't do that.

Archived