IGNORED

Seven Sisters' bathtub full of tomatoes, Seinfeld anyone?

TheJewAmongUs

I don't understand why it is disrespectful of her to wear a military jacket. There's tons of army surplus stores and the stuff gets used in very different way than it was purposed! Recycling a jacket into a purse is awesome. Who would use that jacket? Would it be better if it was filling landfill? And even more she's doing it to honor their work, having a reminder on her of their work.

Yes it would be better for her to get out of that house and be on her own (I don't necessarily agree she should go in the army for other reasons) but I don't see how recycling a military jacket is something bad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I don't think wearing, using, or cutting up a discarded military jacket is disrespectful. Maybe if it was of historical interest, it would be a waste to cut it up, but I imagine there are plenty of five-year-old jackets out there that the military doesn't want to use any more.

But GET OFF THE FUCKING TRAIN TRACKS.

I've used the bathtub to make wine in before, let alone drink it in. It was the only receptacle big enough to hold all the crushed apples. That wine was some concoction. You could sort of feel it burning the backs of your eyes when you swallowed it! :lol:

:obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Your house must have smelt fantastic while you were doing this. Do you live alone or just have a very tolerant family? My hubby would think it was funny for a day or two then he would pull the plug ... literally.

I almost guarantee that someone has peed in the bathtub during shower or bath time. If that makes any difference. I would never store food in my tub because I know for a fact mine has been peed in. And has residual grime and bathroom chemicals in it. I don't put food in the sink either unless I've disinfected it with boiling water. Sinks are full of germs.

I tend to use big bowls and other containers for fruits and veggies- but I am not grossed out by somebody else putting a bunch of tomatoes in the bathtub for a short time. I'm sure that some of them got pooped on by bugs and birds outside, and I also think that being TOO careful about germs can cause more illnesses too. (yeah, it's good to be careful about many, but extreme sanitation is not good either, it's not good to be too lax as well, but food that is going to be washed, cooked for a long time, then canned, which hits temps that are going to kill anything that could live in the food, really isn't a big deal.)

Guys, pee is not the only thing that goes down a bathtub drain! Your Divacup is just the right size to store a cherry tomato, does that mean it's a good place to keep it until you get home and wash it before popping it in your mouth?

I just can't with this thread. :twisted: *dry heaves*

:obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Your house must have smelt fantastic while you were doing this. Do you live alone or just have a very tolerant family? My hubby would think it was funny for a day or two then he would pull the plug ... literally.

I didn't actually leave it in the bath! We just used the bathtub for the initial apple crushing operation. It was then put into smaller tubs for a while, then demijohns for fermentation (in the airing cupboard which did indeed smell like a brewery!). Done the same with plums as well - that stuff ended up like sherry.

Guys, pee is not the only thing that goes down a bathtub drain! Your Divacup is just the right size to store a cherry tomato, does that mean it's a good place to keep it until you get home and wash it before popping it in your mouth?

I just can't with this thread. :twisted: *dry heaves*

Seriously- you are THAT germaphobic? Pee that has been washed away right away, or for your case menstrual blood, is a lot less full of germs than that shopping cart you're putting the food into in the store.

In nature, some animals need to eat their own poop in order to keep a healthy digestive system.

Won't most germs be killed after the tomatoes are cooked?

As long as the bath has been scrubbed before being used for the tomatoes I don't see the big deal.

OMG some of you crack me up.

You realize tomatoes grow in DIRT and are fertilized with cow SHIT right?

Wash them eat them get over it.

Guest Anonymous
I don't understand why it is disrespectful of her to wear a military jacket. There's tons of army surplus stores and the stuff gets used in very different way than it was purposed! Recycling a jacket into a purse is awesome. Who would use that jacket? Would it be better if it was filling landfill? And even more she's doing it to honor their work, having a reminder on her of their work.

Yes it would be better for her to get out of that house and be on her own (I don't necessarily agree she should go in the army for other reasons) but I don't see how recycling a military jacket is something bad.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with repurposing military uniforms. Where she may be on touchy ground is that one of the patches (the one under the flag) is EARNED when a soldier deploys. It represents the unit the soldier served with on the deployment. The patch on the other side is simply the current unit patch of the soldier. While wearing a deployment patch it isn't exactly the same as wearing a military medal one didn't receive, it is something that is earned and respected.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with repurposing military uniforms. Where she may be on touchy ground is that one of the patches (the one under the flag) is EARNED when a soldier deploys. It represents the unit the soldier served with on the deployment. The patch on the other side is simply the current unit patch of the soldier. While wearing a deployment patch it isn't exactly the same as wearing a military medal one didn't receive, it is something that is earned and respected.

I remember this debate coming up in the cosplay fandom with some regularity, this is how I feel about it.

I just feel sorry for her, though, she might have a very good career as a soldier if she could overcome her upbringing.

And, not get hit by a train. :roll:

I take issue more with the person who sold the jacket with the patches on it than the person who wears it, or repurposes it.

I'm amazed that they seem to be using metal strainers and wooden spoons to push the juice and "meat" through, leaving skins and stuff behind.

We canned a lot of stuff when I was little but never that many tomatoes and we had a dedicated food mill thing to deal with that sort of stuff. It would make their job a lot easier!

I'm amazed that they seem to be using metal strainers and wooden spoons to push the juice and "meat" through, leaving skins and stuff behind.

We canned a lot of stuff when I was little but never that many tomatoes and we had a dedicated food mill thing to deal with that sort of stuff. It would make their job a lot easier!

Yea I have an attachment for my Kitchen Aid, Foley Food Mills work great and there are some other neat ones at Lehmans.

I take issue more with the person who sold the jacket with the patches on it than the person who wears it, or repurposes it.

Totally agree.

I wear army boots. Mine are secondhand, German army NATO issue. Army discards (maybe the soldier left the service or something, I dunno). You don't earn those, naturally, it would be a bit funny if you had to wear ballet pumps or something until you earned the right to wear boots :lol:

It could even be that the bloke who had these died. It's a thing one considers. (And it was a bloke, the foot size would be unusual in a woman. I have big feet and the boot size is two sizes bigger than mine). I got them because I have a dodgy ankle and they have a grip where my plate is, as well as me being an ageing punk and they look good.

But I would find it a bit creepy to wear a decoration. I'm a frustrated soldier - I can't join due to a combo of Marxism, shattered ankle and height. But it was my ambition growing up and I think I would have been alright at it. She's IMO made the right decision by repurposing - wearing it as originally intended would be far worse.

A jacket would look like you earned it. I would not do it myself but I don't think she's doing harm, the seller of such things is the harmful person here. She probably doesn't know what it means. But a jacket with a decoration on should not be sold IMO.

Yeah, honestly, I don't see what the big deal about the tomatoes is. Those things come into contact with worse things than bathtubs while they're growing. Which is why they're washed and/or cooked before they're eaten. My great-grandma used to take carrots straight out of the ground, wipe them on her apron, and give them to me to eat. I probably ate a lot more dirt that way than would the Seven Sisters from their bathtub tomatoes. It's okay.

I want the kitchen aid attachment, but I have an old metal cone shaped strainer with a pestle that I use, it has a French name, but I can't remember it right now. Mine was my great grandma's, but they still make them and they are a lot more effective than just plastic strainers and spoons. Like this http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___ ... 3410?Args=

[

I want the kitchen aid attachment, but I have an old metal cone shaped strainer with a pestle that I use, it has a French name, but I can't remember it right now. Mine was my great grandma's, but they still make them and they are a lot more effective than just plastic strainers and spoons. Like this http://www.groworganic.com/cone-straine ... e-set.html

I've heard them called 'Turks'.

I've heard them called 'Turks'.

I haven't heard that term, but I have heard a french name for them, we've always just called it a strainer.

Archived