IGNORED

Seven Sisters' bathtub full of tomatoes, Seinfeld anyone?

TheJewAmongUs

Of all the things that we can snark on the SS about, tomatoes in the bathtub seems fairly innocuous. I would probably have given the bathtub a scrub first, but I don't see any problems with this.

I agree that lots of us in the first world have gone completely overboard with hygiene. Every surface everywhere is covered in bacteria - your kitchen benchtops, plates, shower, not to mention the stuff that's crawling around on our own skins! Our bodies have evolved to fight off all the nasty ones and take advantage of the ones that can be beneficial. Anti-bacterial cleaning products don't discriminate and kill everything, depriving our immune system of some great challenges. Of course, if you're dealing with someone with an under-developed immune response, it's a different ball game, but for the rest of us, we'll be ok. I work with a germophobe who even cling wraps individual apples in a fruit bowl and scrubs all surfaces if someone with a cold has touched... makes me wonder how she gets through the day at work, using communal facilities and public toilets on a large university campus - it must be terrifying and exhausting!

I'll give the SS a pass on this one. Women in their mid-twenties still being kept as young girls at home and not given the skills or opportunities to find their own way in life, not so much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG some of you crack me up.

You realize tomatoes grow in DIRT and are fertilized with cow SHIT right?

Wash them eat them get over it.

You stole my line.

I grew up hearing stories of mothers who kept live carp swimming in the bathtub in preparation for making gefilte fish. Tomatoes seem pretty tame in comparison.

You stole my line.

I grew up hearing stories of mothers who kept live carp swimming in the bathtub in preparation for making gefilte fish. Tomatoes seem pretty tame in comparison.

A fish was in there? So there was a live thing watching you have a pee? :shock:

I'm going to tell Small and Smaller that, they'll be enchanted. They love that kind of story.

I'm going to tell Small and Smaller that, they'll be enchanted. They love that kind of story.

There's a children's book about it -- I posted a link upthread.

Not MY bathtub - my mother never made anything from scratch - but at one time it was fairly common to by live carp to make sure that the fish was as fresh as possible.

[instead, my not-at-all-kosher mom and grandma once bought and boiled a live lobster, and I remember the whole thing was like a traumatic comedy. I think it may have been crawling around the kitchen.]

Not MY bathtub - my mother never made anything from scratch - but at one time it was fairly common to by live carp to make sure that the fish was as fresh as possible.

[instead, my not-at-all-kosher mom and grandma once bought and boiled a live lobster, and I remember the whole thing was like a traumatic comedy. I think it may have been crawling around the kitchen.]

Wasn't that in Annie Hall? :lol:

Wasn't that in Annie Hall? :lol:

I had the same thought.

Talk to him -- you speak shellfish!

us-eob6rX-c

Excellent, thank you thoughtful! I'm going to have a look right now.

2X, I'm not sure S&S know what a lobster is but I bet they would love that story too. I might show them a picture and explain that folk eat them, then tell them. I think they would be very intrigued.

Excellent, thank you thoughtful! I'm going to have a look right now.

2X, I'm not sure S&S know what a lobster is but I bet they would love that story too. I might show them a picture and explain that folk eat them, then tell them. I think they would be very intrigued.

Yeah, apparently it was a thing.

We had a story tape that we listened to growing up about Jews living on the lower east side who had a fish in their bathtub and their uncle thought it was a monster. Well, that's not what the story was about, but that was one part of it.

Yeah, apparently it was a thing.

We had a story tape that we listened to growing up about Jews living on the lower east side who had a fish in their bathtub and their uncle thought it was a monster. Well, that's not what the story was about, but that was one part of it.

Fish in the bathtub was regular? Here we say "coal in the bathtub" which is shorthand for being Northern and poor. Rude shorthand, mind.

I liked thoughtful's book! It's a bit too far ahead for S&S but when the time comes...Small will love it. Smaller will worry about the fish, I can see her being a green anarchist some day, I can see Small being a Stalinist :lol:

Ruth Reichl the cooking writer also has a good story about the carp in the bathtub. Really it wasn't uncommon in the '50's in Jewish households.

Archived