IGNORED

Wheaton College Birth Control Oopsy

happy atheist

http://jezebel.com/pill-baby-pill/

Wheaton College, a private christian school, does not qualify for an exemption to the new birth control insurance mandate because they already cover emergency contraception. Oops! :oops: :lol:

They won't say how long they've been covering it. I guess it's too embarrassing.

:laughing-rolling: That is hysterical. Now if only we could find out how many times women have used their coverage for emergency contraception. :D

I can't believe they won't say how long they've been covering it. I mean, the ship has sailed, what would it hurt to admit how long now?

:lol: I am happy that they were covering emergency contraceptive. I think all schools should along with condoms.

If nothing else health center condoms provided for hours of amusement. We would blow them up like balloons. Sneak into the pool after hours and place them in the pool.

Ugh. I am always so surprised by that school. They seem pretty fundie-lite to an outsider, but I bet once you get inside it's all cray. I live about 45 minutes away and I'm not ashamed to admit that I took a little tour one day so I could check it out. ;)

I can't possibly imagine why they only started being morally opposed to contraception when it became a political issue. :roll:

I got my doctorate at a Christian school. I had to pay for birth control out of pocket when i was on the school health care plan because they would not cover it...even AFTER i got married.

Edited to note that it was a fully accredited University...not a college minus type :D

Yeah my parents work at a fully accredited Christian college and growing up and in college when I was on their healthcare plan I had to pay for my birth control out of pocket, too. $110 a month. Then I got a real job and was astonished to find out my insurance covered it and I only had to pay $5.

Yeah my parents work at a fully accredited Christian college and growing up and in college when I was on their healthcare plan I had to pay for my birth control out of pocket, too. $110 a month. Then I got a real job and was astonished to find out my insurance covered it and I only had to pay $5.

May I ask what type of contraception costs $100 a month? :o

Here my run-of-the-mill pill costs €30 for 3 months, so just curious...

Sad impact of the current situation is that some people are now losing coverage. One of my friends teaches at a Catholic high school and their insurance covered birth control until the bishops felt they had to take a stand. The policy for this school year dropped it because of fear of the bishops.

Many in the US are more then that. Pharmaceutical companies here expect Americans to pay 3x what the same medicine costs in mexico and canada.

Many in the US are more then that. Pharmaceutical companies here expect Americans to pay 3x what the same medicine costs in mexico and canada.

Makes me want to scream. Back in the early '70s, my BC pills cost me about three bucks a month--out of pocket, because we had no health insurance--and the hormone dosages in them were way higher than in oral contraceptives today.

Makes me want to scream. Back in the early '70s, my BC pills cost me about three bucks a month--out of pocket, because we had no health insurance--and the hormone dosages in them were way higher than in oral contraceptives today.

Capitalized Health Care: Better than Universal because you totally pay more money for so its just gotta be better right?... Right?... *crickets*

Capitalized Health Care: Better than Universal because you totally pay more money for so its just gotta be better right?... Right?... *crickets*

Wow, just wow. :shock:

My pills cost about $10/month or $30 once every 3 months for Camrese (generic of Seasonique), but...that's because insurance takes care of the rest. If insurance didn't cover it, I'm not sure what the cost would be. :shock: $100 wouldn't surprise me.

Exactly! When I lived in NM, many people would go over the border to a dentist office that was just barley on the mexico side. The dentist had a parking lot on the American side and took American insurance. He even provided a shuttle to get people from one side to the other side. His prices were 1/3 of an American dentist. He even used the same stuff that American Dentist use to make crowns and fillings.

My pills cost about $10/month or $30 once every 3 months for Camrese (generic of Seasonique), but...that's because insurance takes care of the rest. If insurance didn't cover it, I'm not sure what the cost would be. :shock: $100 wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't a law in the US just go into effect where physicals, pap smears, mammograms and birth control are now all free? :clap:

Didn't a law in the US just go into effect where physicals, pap smears, mammograms and birth control are now all free? :clap:

I think all those items have to be covered by insurance or something? I doubt it's free. A law that states providers must work for free would be challenged on constitutional grounds. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't help take a jab at that. Nothing is ever "free". Someone is always paying for the services or products given out.

I believe providing easy access to preventative medicine is key to decreasing cost of health care in this country. That said, it won't solve many of our problems. We still need to convince people to take responsibility for themselves. My SO and I have dealt with patients who have gov't insurnace who are no-shows for appointments despite the fact they pay nothing for it, their appointment are set for them before they leave, and a phone call is made to their house the day before the exam. I think making things too easy for people actually convinces some to take the health care system for granted. The county hospital here provides free physicals, paps and mammograms for years. Half the patients actually show up as scheduled.

When I first started bc I took the pill form and it was only $80-something a month. I forget the brand, but I kept forgetting to take the pill daily so I switched to a patch you only need to apply weekly, much easier to remember (for me) and equally as effective. The $110, and later $5, was for the Ortho Evra patch, filled at a CVS pharmacy.

I think all those items have to be covered by insurance or something? I doubt it's free. A law that states providers must work for free would be challenged on constitutional grounds. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't help take a jab at that. Nothing is ever "free". Someone is always paying for the services or products given out.

I believe providing easy access to preventative medicine is key to decreasing cost of health care in this country. That said, it won't solve many of our problems. We still need to convince people to take responsibility for themselves. My SO and I have dealt with patients who have gov't insurnace who are no-shows for appointments despite the fact they pay nothing for it, their appointment are set for them before they leave, and a phone call is made to their house the day before the exam. I think making things too easy for people actually convinces some to take the health care system for granted. The county hospital here provides free physicals, paps and mammograms for years. Half the patients actually show up as scheduled.

Well pap smears and mammograms are free up here. Doctors' salaries are paid by our taxes and insurance companies only deal with prescriptions, eye care and dental care. And I've never heard of this people not showing up to appointments thing. At my university health centre, they charge you 50$ if you don't show up to an appointment, which leads me to believe this may have been a problem among students (before they started charging anyway), but I've never seen this fee at facilities frequented by adults. You go to the doctor's office and unless you're the first appointment of the day, they're running behind because not only does everyone show up, but they'll "squeeze" appointments in for people who are really sick. The wait is usually no longer than 15 minutes. Unless you're late, in which case they'll take the person after you and then you have to wait for their appointment to be over before you get your turn.

Archived