IGNORED

Partying down at Chez Maxwell

gardenvarietycitizen

Growing up we were allowed to play UNO and Skipbo because they were games that didn't use "real cards". The ones with hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds were a "no-no".

Was there a reson for that?

I have noticed that her game nights with friends usually consist of stuff like Phase 10, Name 5, Apples to Apples type games. I know Mormons are against gambling and I wonder if some of them avoid board games like Monopoly as a result.

None that I know of. There were some families that did not allow "face" cards. Is there gambling in Monopoly?

Well at least they have lots of choices of salad dressing. I'm sure that makes up for having no choices in other areas of their lives.

i don't know about the maxwell family, but it seems monopoly would be right up jim boob's alley. it's all about owning properties and collecting rent. maybe they could use it in homeskooling.

oh wait, there are cards for winning beauty contests and get out of jail free cards. maybe they should rewrite those cards to win a beautiful countenance contest card, and get out of hell free. instead of going directly to jail on that space on the game board, you could go directly to heaven.

i don't know about the maxwell family, but it seems monopoly would be right up jim boob's alley. it's all about owning properties and collecting rent. maybe they could use it in homeskooling.

oh wait, there are cards for winning beauty contests and get out of jail free cards. maybe they should rewrite those cards to win a beautiful countenance contest card, and get out of hell free. instead of going directly to jail on that space on the game board, you could go directly to heaven.

Or jail could be the prayer closet.

The way that Bethie was looking at the cards, is that normal? Her face is sooo close to them. If one of my kids looked at things like that I'd have them to the eye doctor in a heart beat.

I didn't think of that or notice anything odd about it. On a completely unrelated note, the first time I went to an optometrist at age 7, my mother ended up nearly crying in the corner, saying aloud "I'm so ashamed, I'm so ashamed," because my vision was really awful and nobody had noticed.

These people are SO BORING! Ugh!

I'm glad that she at least got to choose her favorite salad dressing for her birthday. Do you think she got croutons too?

These people are SO BORING! Ugh!

I'm glad that she at least got to choose her favorite salad dressing for her birthday. Do you think she got croutons too?

She got 2 croutons. Everyone else only got one.

I didn't think of that or notice anything odd about it. On a completely unrelated note, the first time I went to an optometrist at age 7, my mother ended up nearly crying in the corner, saying aloud "I'm so ashamed, I'm so ashamed," because my vision was really awful and nobody had noticed.

Man. My own bad eyes were found in junior high 3rd grade (equivalent of US 9th grade) at a national health screening. I'd been noticing for a while I couldn't see the board or the clock well (we had assigned seats) and a friend visiting me for the summer from the US had contacts and was always "can you read [something far away]" and I had to admit, no, I can't. So I told the teacher, and he said, well, in two weeks there's the health screening they'll find it, and they did! So I got glasses and it was wow I can see leaves on trees and read license plates from a block away... never would I think to hate these miracle glasses...

...which I only say to contrast with my uncle. My mom's brother. He really didn't want glasses ever ever EVER, and so at HIS school health screening (decades before me) he took advantage of being at the end of the line to memorize the answers to the vision test. So he answered everything correctly but at the very very end they suspected something was up and asked him another round of questions which he failed spectacularly, and it was glasses for him :)

In my adult life I never consider to get contact lenses as I know I'd mess it up and I can't imagine touching my eyes and I'm used to my look with large nerd wire frame glasses, but I am definitely dependent on them, I've had the metal break before and taken the rest of the day off to go to the jeweler to get it welded.

I need new ones now actually, hoping this time I go that large round wire frames will once again be popular enough to be on offer. It's not about what I look like in them so much as what I can see THROUGH them.

As for croutons heck yeah I love the croutons. Not a big salad dressing person but I do put croutons on. MMM.

She didn't even get to blow out her own candles- had to let the little nieces do it. It makes sense really, as her party was more suited for a 5 year old anyway.

She didn't even get to blow out her own candles- had to let the little nieces do it. It makes sense really, as her party was more suited for a 5 year old anyway.

I was surprised they were allowed to do that. You would think with all the rigorous discipline and boundaries and rules in that family, the younger children (who are blanket trained, for God's sake) would understand that when it's not their birthday, those are not their candles. Period.

I was surprised they were allowed to do that. You would think with all the rigorous discipline and boundaries and rules in that family, the younger children (who are blanket trained, for God's sake) would understand that when it's not their birthday, those are not their candles. Period.

Do the Maxwell's not know that birthday candles are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Taryn says it's so, it's so.

"Anna Marie" almost always has her hair tightly pulled up in a bun, but just a couple photos in the past she had her hair down and it is very, very long (and really pretty, too). Ever since then, whenever I see pix of her & Chris together, I think of that old country song, Behind Closed Doors:

The chorus:

And when we get behind closed doors

Then she lets her hair hang down

And she makes me glad I'm a man

Oh no one knows what goes on behind closed doors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN2rsc6Vnp4

Probably really dirty of me to think like that, but her long, long hair was kind of defrauding, and I couldn't help myself.

I don't get the having a party early because you will be away. Some of Creaky family's best birthday celebrations happened on the road.

This is OT, but my all time favorite birthdays was with one brother, my parents, and one set of grandparents in a super tiny no-electricity no-indoor-toilet cabin in the middle of nowhere USA. 'Course, if I lived like the Anast's all the time it wouldn't have been nearly as fun but since it was vacation, I had a blast! :D

I don't get the early party thing either, unless they just want to be sure that ALL the family is in on the party.

I will be having my birthday while I'm away at a conference with various of my work teammates, soon, and I just figure I'll buy a round at the bar, or something.

Archived