IGNORED

Free Birth Control

InkyGirl

It's free in the UK - we should take them there and give them all a stroke

Not only has contraception of any kind been free in the UK for many years now, at least until '96 when I left, Doctors were paid Ten Quid ($18 or so)/Year/Patient they prescribed birth control to. That should freak some fundies out!

Oh NOES. Our tax dollars are going to support poor people having the evil SEX. :roll:

ETA: Although I bet the fundies wouldn't like "paying for" all of the heathen baby "blessings" that people would have without contraception either... clearly the only solution is abstinence for everyone who is not fundy approved.

Isn't it already free in the United States? I got it free at PP and my younger sister still does.

Isn't it already free in the United States? I got it free at PP and my younger sister still does.

Planned Parenthood provides it free to those in "need." Its on a sliding scale otherwise. When I was in lawschool (with a negative income), it was $5 per month. Now I get it from my insurance for the same rate...

Michelle is probably having some form of a freak out over this considering all their whining about the miscarriage. I'm glad it (may) be available, but the biggest problem is getting people to take it.

People are more likely to take it (and use it reliably) if it's free. Women often have to make a choice between birth control and paying things like rent, etc. I remember what a HUGE shock it was once I got out of college and instead of paying $10 for 4 months of BC, it was $35 per month (even as broke as I was, that was PP's lowest price). I couldn't afford it, and because I wasn't in a relationship I decided to go off birth control. By the time I was in a relationship again I had health insurance that covered my BC. I was always very, very vigilant about protecting myself but one broken condom could have spelled disaster. A good friend ended up not getting adequate health care because she wanted to be able to afford BC- she was super accident prone and ended up getting stitches a few times AT HER VETS office (she worked there, he was a friend) because she couldn't afford to go to the ER or doc. She moved to the UK and her first phone call to me was about the wonders of NHS and the free birth control.

Birth Control is preventative care....it should absolutely be free. If fundies cared half as much about preventing abortions as they say they are, they'd be fighting to have BC be as widely available as possible. But it's not really about babies- it's about denying women the right to be sexuali.

Thanks for posting the petition Austin, signing it now!!!

Archived