IGNORED

The New Women's Movement

fundies_like_zombies

Besides the sexims of this, the classism pisses me more off here is the face

POOR WOMEN HAVE ALWAYS WORKED

My ancestors were not pampered princess making dollies and having tea parties, they were out on the farm working up a sweat, like the men.

They ignoring of poor and lower class women historical role in this 'anti-feminist' movements is just so...ahg....

Well, during all of their badly done 're-enactments' the majority of fundies dress like the upper class 1%. And even more fundie blogs will harken back to upper class victorian 'ideals' in terms of what they want for their life. So to them they would be rich. It's only due to ebil feminism that they are poor right now. Back then, when everything was right, they would be rich because they are not like the 'disgusting' 'lazy' poor people.

And they totally ignore that the women's movement was responsible for laws that considered work in the home to be equal to work outside it--for example, if you stayed home and raised the children and supported your husband's outside work for 40 years, and then he left you for a hot young thing--the stay at home mom is entitled to be paid for her contribution and to get her hands on his pension or social security. Oh, and the "feminists" were responsible for changing laws that until the 1970s allowed men to rape their wives with legal impunity.Or that women who work in the home and have outside sources of income--either through "extra" work (say, an at-home-based business) or, for example, inheritance or gifts from their families--get to keep that money for themselves and even (gasp!) establish credit in their own names.

When I was a kid in a backwater Catholic school in the 50s we used to get anti-Communist comic books that showed the "communists" (who motly looked like Aryan Nazi storm-troopers but had hammers and sickles on their uniforms) bursting into people's houses to take the children away to day care.

As the child of crazy people, I could only dream...

See, it's crap like this that makes me embarrassed to be high femme. Fashion and makeup are my hobby and passion, kind of like painting and sculpting for someone else would be. I use my tools and consumables to achieve an aesthetic display that I personally find pleasing. Unfortunately, what I find pleasing is twee 50s-retro, long flowy skirts, and neo-Victorian steampunk, all of which these bass-ackward privilege-denying harpies would probably give me kudos for. Stop liking what I like, you slut-shaming, tittering fluffernutters! [/feminist rage]

As reiterated in past threads, when the fundies play dress up, they always assume that the Victorian upper class "ideal" as the common set up for most families back then. It does make me wonder what fundies say when asked about the enormous poverty most Victorians lived in?

I really want to shake those crazy nutties who think that all women did back then was spent quality, one-on-one time with the kids, sipping teas in the afternoon and working on their crotchet.

No, you stupid idiots, most kids were working fulltime by the time they were 12! Preteens who weren't able to work on farms or sweatshops were caregivers to even younger siblings. Meanwhile, mom is busy with backbreaking labor around the farm, or running a side business or working for a pittance outside the home.

It may be even more surprising to most fundies that the British Victorians commonly sent boys to boarding school from the age of 6 or 8. Or how about the wealthy Victorian habit of outsourcing childcare to nannies and wetnurses? The "average" Victorian/Edwardian women who could not afford nannies and boarding schools put their kids to work as soon as they can walk. There were no time for homeschooling and quality time with mom. And even when mom was around the home, that doesn't mean kids were more supervised or did much learning.

I can't imagine how anyone thought kids were better off in the past. Sure, rich kids were well taken care of by modern standards. For everyone else, the modern American would consider Victorian childhood closer to abuse than idyllic.

YPestis, that continues to the modern day. I know girls who were sent to boarding school on full board at 7 or 8 years old.

Besides the sexims of this, the classism pisses me more off here is the face

POOR WOMEN HAVE ALWAYS WORKED

My ancestors were not pampered princess making dollies and having tea parties, they were out on the farm working up a sweat, like the men.

They ignoring of poor and lower class women historical role in this 'anti-feminist' movements is just so...ahg....

Most anti-feminist return home drivel you read at least attempts to refer to periods across history; what is quoted above is the most explicit proof that these idiots are just thinking of middle-class white 1950s American housewives. It screams "50s 50s 50s" to me.

YPestis, that continues to the modern day. I know girls who were sent to boarding school on full board at 7 or 8 years old.

Well, I am aware that upper class children are sent to boarding schools, especially boys. However, fundies don't do fantasy dress up with the modern wealthy Brits. It's just hypocritical that fundies are so enamored with the tea and crumpet set of the 19th century but turn around and berate modern families for "dumping" kids in public schools for 8 hours a day. That seem to forget that wealthy families of past would send their kids away to live in schools for weeks and months at a stretch. Again, more evidence that fundies don't know what they are talking about. :roll:

Most anti-feminist return home drivel you read at least attempts to refer to periods across history; what is quoted above is the most explicit proof that these idiots are just thinking of middle-class white 1950s American housewives. It screams "50s 50s 50s" to me.

But they're actually obsessed with a fictional sitcom image of the 50s. Both of my grandmas were young mothers in the 50s. Both of them worked. And only one of them was poor; the other was solidly middle class.

Really, that's the most accurate recreation of the Goode Olde Dayes these fluffy-pastel scented-candle "ladies" have accomplished. Upper-class Victorian women subscribed to the cult of motherhood, with exquisitely dressed rosy-cheeked tots gazing adoringly at Mama and hanging on her every word, and they also followed the cult of ladyhood, putting on special garments that signaled their leisure and moral superiority by their elaborate but modest construction in order to sit around drinking tea with other ladies and tutting over the lax moral fiber of society. But it was all made possible because they had people for that. Even super-domestic mamas usually didn't see or hear their children except during family outings like church or for an hour or so in the evening, when they were let out of the nursery under the supervision of a paid caregiver. Cooking, cleaning, mending: they had people for all of that too. Modern family-cultists do the same thing, but without the bother of paying servants; they make their older daughters do it all instead.

Whenever hear/read this shit I get so enraged! My dad worked until he was disabled in an accident, then my mom went to school, got a degree, and is still working today at age 66 to pay off medical debt. What do these people want families like mine to do? Roll over and die?

Of course, I shouldn't be born in the first place, according to them and their precious God. (IVF)

And I can't believe anyone with the title "Alaska" in their heading would believe in the Victorian women swooning myth. Everyone in Alaska works. Everyone. If she'd ever been to any of the history museums or the Heritage Center or talked to an elder, she'd know that stay at home people work (oh but village life is communism). Or the history of settling this state? Women worked! When we built the pipeline and people moved into Anchorage in droves, men worked in high paying labor positions, leaving women to run businesses and retail and offices.

A little bit from the Glacial Erratics:

It's a dirty dusty town to be livin' in

It's a dirty, dusty, drivin' wind that blows.

It's a dirty lousy shame that this place ain't got no rain.

It ain't Heaven and it ain't Hell; it's just home.

I ain't tooken off my boots since last November;

I ain't seen any green since last July.

I ain't been messin' with my mind more than half the time,

But honey, you can't say that I didn't try!

'Cause we're rough, rude, raw and rugged,

Yukon women are we.

We wear plaid jackets and we build our own cabins

And we all drink rose hip tea--

Independently.

Well, we're in top condition and we go on long hikes

And we aren't afraid of bears.

We wear woolly socks, woolly shirts, woolly woollies

Till it gets kinda itchy under there.

We go to the sauna with no clothes on

An' if the boys look, we don't care.

We've heard all the news about who's lovin' whose

And we don't shave our armpit hair.

Yukon women are we.

And we all vote NDP--

Independently.

Yeah, we're rough, loose, raw and rugged,

Yukon women are we!

A little bit from the Glacial Erratics:

It's a dirty dusty town to be livin' in

It's a dirty, dusty, drivin' wind that blows.

It's a dirty lousy shame that this place ain't got no rain.

It ain't Heaven and it ain't Hell; it's just home.

I ain't tooken off my boots since last November;

I ain't seen any green since last July.

I ain't been messin' with my mind more than half the time,

But honey, you can't say that I didn't try!

Yukon women are we.

And we all drink rose hip tea--

Independently.

Well, we're in top condition and we go on long hikes

And we aren't afraid of bears.

We wear woolly socks, woolly shirts, woolly woollies

Till it gets kinda itchy under there.

We go to the sauna with no clothes on

An' if the boys look, we don't care.

We've heard all the news about who's lovin' whose

And we don't shave our armpit hair.

Yukon women are we.

And we all vote NDP--

Independently.

Yeah, we're rough, loose, raw and rugged,

Yukon women are we!

I haven't heard that song in forever! It is now on my iPod.

Come to that, Alaska Native women have always worked; if they didn't work, their families would quite literally die. Only the southernmost parts of Alaska--basically salmon and tall trees country--provided enough resources for stratified societies with relatively leisured upper classes. Russia moved some farming families here from (IIRC) Ukraine, and you can bet that everyone in those families worked. U.S. immigrant women in the first decades after purchase nearly all came up here to sell something--sex, clean laundry, groceries. These days you're pretty much either part of the cash economy, so you both work at least part time, or you're part of the subsistence economy, so you both bust your butts all the time.

Looks like she's in the interior.

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/au ... ynenikkih/

Her husband owns a wood cutting business so I'm guessing they are on the road system. I am so fascinated by Alaska Fundies. I'm assuming it's the lack of homeschool rules, no state income tax, and space that brings them here?

I left a comment that was not approved and deleted on the The New Womanhood article that was linked earlier. There was nothing rude or incendiary, just asking what she would have someone do if, say, her husband was disabled.

Archived