IGNORED

Doug's Blog and the Blessing of the Sung Words of Patrick

clarinetpower

Doug's blog has a video of some of the ladies of Vision Forum singing today.

Which is fine, really. I mean, more power to them. A cappella in harmony, not easy. And they struggle with pitch (they really, really do. Especially the melody singer), but many people do. This is why I, and many of my friends, have jobs.

BUT.

The 2011 European Faith and Freedom Tour travelled to the holy land of evangelical Christianity—-the ancient Island of Iona, a 2mile by 1 mile plot of land from whence Christianity was preserved promoted and promulgated throughout Europe and the world. We walked in the footsteps of Columba, climbed ancient mountains once inhabited by pagan druids, and stood on beaches where Viking raiders killed monks.

But on this glorious day, the lovely Mrs. Becky Morecraft and Laurie Manteufel offered a blessing to our team from the 800 year old chapel of Oran as they sang the words of Patrick.

What I don't understand... well, no. IF I WERE THERE, what I would have said is "what an honor it is to sing in a place that has seen such history, to glorify God with a gift given to me in a place where people have given their lives for Him. I am deeply humbled."

Not "Oh what a blessing to our team their voices are!" :violin:

But that's just me. :roll:

Yep, and that's just Doug & the rest of the works-righteous [sic], father-idolizing crew that give Christianity such a bad name.

I sa that, too, and felt the same disappointment that these guys (lierally, guys) just can't get it right-- because they ca't take their eyes off themselves.

Guest Anonymous
Doug's blog has a video of some of the ladies of Vision Forum singing today.

Which is fine, really. I mean, more power to them. A cappella in harmony, not easy. And they struggle with pitch (they really, really do. Especially the melody singer), but many people do. This is why I, and many of my friends, have jobs.

BUT.

What I don't understand... well, no. IF I WERE THERE, what I would have said is "what an honor it is to sing in a place that has seen such history, to glorify God with a gift given to me in a place where people have given their lives for Him. I am deeply humbled."

Not "Oh what a blessing to our team their voices are!" :violin:

But that's just me. :roll:

It's just Dougie selling more Sea Monkeys

It's just Dougie selling more Sea Monkeys

I may be a weird person(ok, ok, I am) but as a child a really, really wanted those sea monkeys. :oops: Now thanks to Dougie another childhood dream has been crushed :evil: ....that and I found out about 20 years ago they were just some kind of nasty shrimp thing.

Guest Anonymous

I may be a weird person(ok, ok, I am) but as a child a really, really wanted those sea monkeys. :oops: Now thanks to Dougie another childhood dream has been crushed :evil: ....that and I found out about 20 years ago they were just some kind of nasty shrimp thing.

If it's any consolation, so did my sister and I. We were so annoying about it that my mother sat us down one day and asked some questions. "Do you really believe that these, um, Sea Monkeys are smart enough to build house and other things underwater?". "Um, yeah, I quess so". "Well, don't you think that they're also smart enough to hate being cooped up up in a fish tank, with no place to go?".

That was the end of our joint infatuation with Sea Monkeys. I'd like to see them find new life as an alternate double-entendre, especially for those who, like me, are getting bored with anacondas.

:banana-jumprope:

Edited because I just couldn't get my smilie to behave itself

Also, according to wikipedia, someone name Dallan Forgaill is supposed to have written "Be thou my vision"; however Doug attributes it to St. Patrick. I think he's confused; St. Patrick is supposed to have written something called "The Lorica" which is a lovely hymn to the Trinity.

Also, weren't those 8th century monasteries...gulp...Catholic/Orthodox...as in, not Protestant???

Also, um, Henry VIII, that bastion of Christian greatness (ahem), closed and looted the monasteries as part of his Reformation. Since the VF crowd venerates Anne Boleyn and the Reformation in England so much, you think they'd be less...enamored with the monastic tradition.

But hey, what do I know???

Laurie Manteufel

Nothing against her, but the German word for devil is Teufel. Laurie Man-Devil. Of course, a man-devil is something that might appeal to our Dougie in a wicked, wicked way... :angry-devil: :lol:

Dougie and his anaconda chasing manly men claim its all about God, but really its all about him. All the time. Peirod.

Also, according to wikipedia, someone name Dallan Forgaill is supposed to have written "Be thou my vision"; however Doug attributes it to St. Patrick. I think he's confused; St. Patrick is supposed to have written something called "The Lorica" which is a lovely hymn to the Trinity.

Also, weren't those 8th century monasteries...gulp...Catholic/Orthodox...as in, not Protestant???

Also, um, Henry VIII, that bastion of Christian greatness (ahem), closed and looted the monasteries as part of his Reformation. Since the VF crowd venerates Anne Boleyn and the Reformation in England so much, you think they'd be less...enamored with the monastic tradition.

But hey, what do I know???

Hey, what you know is accurate . . .

This is the hymn of St Patrick: http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/t/stpatric.htm

And of course all those monks were Catholic. Dougie doesn't understand the chronological paradox of attributing evangelical 'Protestantism' to religious communities centuries before the 'Protestants' (Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Huss) lived. However, I think the reason he assigns evangelical tendencies to them is because in the UK there were some doctrinal differences between the Irish version of Catholicism and the Roman version, and anything that isn't Roman is good.

Way way back on a freejinger yuku thread, I addressed the issue of their Anne Boleyn veneration. Wish I could find the post.

Way way back on a freejinger yuku thread, I addressed the issue of their Anne Boleyn veneration. Wish I could find the post.

I can't find your comments at FJ yuku, but I suspect that this (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/docs/Reformation_Character_Sketches.pdf) was part of them; the flyer is from Dougie's "Reformation" extravaganza in Boston a couple of years ago or so. Here's the passage on Anne Boleyn:

"Anne Boleyn, as queen of England and the second wife of the notorious Henry VIII, worked to further the spread of the Reformation in England. Accused by Roman Catholics of being, 'more Lutheran than Luther himself,' she firmly believed that the Bible should be translated into the vernacular and encouraged King Henry VIII to read protestant books including William Tyndale’s The Obedience of a Christian Man. She also opposed the confiscation of church property by the Crown. In 1536, Henry had her beheaded on false charges and married again three days later."

Considering Anne Boleyn was educated in French at the very French court, I find it hard to believe that she was a Protestant sympathizer in any way shape and form.

It will be interesting in years to come when actual history will be taught and all these VF/Botkinettes heads will explode.

NB: St Patrick's Breastplate is one of the songs I have on my list to play at my funeral, along with Children of the Heavenly Father and My Hope is Built on Nothing Less (Melita Tune).

Actually, she was indeed a Protestant sympathizer. Most of what Doug writes there about her is true, possibly with the exception of opposing the confiscation of Church property.

Archived