IGNORED

Are there other gamers here?

mebeforee

I can't possibly be the only gamer on FJ. I refuse to believe it.

I mostly use Playstation (though I only have a PS3 now, a PS4 is outside of my financial means atm), but I also tend to follow Nintendo legacy games like Mario and Zelda. I'm a huge fan of Steam, so anything you can get for PC on Steam is fair game for me.

My favorite games are things like Okami, Red Dead Redemption (and a number of other Rockstar Games), Dead Island, and my apparently endless addiction to Don't Starve. I also love Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, anything Zelda... but also multi-console series like Portal, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Max Payne, GTA, etc.

I love little games like The Cave, Thomas was Alone, Papers Please, and Limbo.

I also love big ass games like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls (and Heavy Rain, for that matter) and my all time favorite game forever is Shadow of the Colossus. Right now I'm playing the Walking Dead game by Telltale games, because I haven't had a lot of time to give to it so I'm way behind. I'm also currently replaying Brothers, which is fucking gorgeous. Please someone talk about games with me!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha YES! warning this post is going to be so nerdy. 8-)

My hubby is a gamer, he loves Call of Duty and plays it a lot with two of his brothers who live nearby, when he can. (they're both Air Force so it's a big deal to them too, like relaxing in alternate but close-to-reality)

i grew up playing old NES, so that's what i play now. I wish i manage the more modern games, and eventually i'll get there, but please don't laugh. :lol: Playing old 1985 Mario takes me right back to the days before my family was fundie. i love all the mario versions, but the new ones are a little overwhelming for now. Games are so awesome because they NEVER CHANGE. It's the same music and the same thing is going to happen every time, you just perfect the speed and find out new secrets. i think that's why i love the show The Goldbergs so much too. Those days in the 90's before my parents dived into the fundie weirdness and decided to homeschool/be mennonite/have a second herd of kids (i love my siblings, it's just it was a different life than we started out as, and i never fit into fundie-land no matter how hard i tried -- good fundie girls just can't care about gaming or anything techy because that would make them seem too bold and too boyish)

Have you seen this? SO funny. This guy is totally channeling Samir from Office Space. :D

youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8

(just a fyi: for bad language on the video)

haha YES! warning this post is going to be so nerdy. 8-)

My hubby is a gamer, he loves Call of Duty and plays it a lot with two of his brothers who live nearby, when he can. (they're both Air Force so it's a big deal to them too, like relaxing in alternate but close-to-reality)

i grew up playing old NES, so that's what i play now. I wish i manage the more modern games, and eventually i'll get there, but please don't laugh. :lol: Playing old 1985 Mario takes me right back to the days before my family was fundie. i enjoy all the marios, but it's a little overwhelming for now. Games are so awesome because they NEVER CHANGE. It's the same music and the same thing is going to happen every time, you just perfect the speed and find out new secrets. i think that's why i love the show The Goldbergs so much too. Those days in the 90's before my parents dived into the fundie weirdness and decided to homeschool/be mennonite/have a second herd of kids (i love my siblings, it's just it was a different life than we started out as, and i never fit into fundie-land no matter how hard i tried -- good fundie girls just don't give a shit about gaming or anything techy)

Have you seen this? SO funny. This guy is totally channeling Samir from Office Space. :D

youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8

(just a fyi; graphic language)

Lmao I love old school games! (And Office Space, for the record). And that storytelling aspect is present from the very beginning, seriously. Zelda and FF originated in that turn-based combat that was just a structure around which the story took place. And if you like that stuff, you should go ahead and buy a used PS2, play all the Final Fantasy games that happened between (especially 7 and 9, imho). Also buy a Wii and get some of those zelda games - there's a collection of n64 zelda games along with things like Wind Waker that were made for gamecube but can play on the Wii. Wii also has games like Okami and No More Heroes which are amazing. (And idk, I can't make claims about the new Wii thing, WiiU or something, I think. I don't have money so I can't go that route, lmao)

I do feel obligated to say, gaming has crazily changed since the n64 or even ps2. But the goal of gaming hasn't changed! It's all about the player and their experience. It's about you, making choices, making stories, and dealing with challenges that come of those choices. Of course there are some games that (like movies) are more about special effects and visuals and sound etc, but those don't get the same kind of response or ratings, because that's not what gaming's about! Seriously, my thought is that anyone who loves fiction and storytelling should go ahead and get involved in gaming. Because it might just be the best way to experience fiction (and I say this as a novelist, unfortunately). It has the unique aspect of pulling the audience into what is happening, and it's their choices that make the difference. You can't do that in any other medium.

(And that's really just in the more victorious vein of the same thing you linked, lmao. It just reminded me of the same thing.) Yours is really more the individual's experience of any game, ever. The "how the fuck did that happen. Seriously, I was inside of the tube. Okay, here we go... alright! Oh, shit. Goddamn." part. Doesn't matter what the game is, you build and build and then lose. And then you have to resist the urge to smash your controller into every smashable thing in proximity.

Really, trying to beat something like Ecco The Dolphin will teach these quiverfull kids more about self-control than any other medium they could ever encounter. (SERIOUSLY ECCO THE DOLPHIN IS THE WORST BULLSHIT EVER IT MAKES ME WANT TO KILL SHIT I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN)

I grew up with an Atari 2600, then an NES. Zelda is also my favorite. I got Wii when it came out specifically for Twilight Princess. I didn't get far into Skyward Sword, though, because of frustrating changes Nintendo made to the gameplay.

I can't play console games anymore because of motion sickness. I do play Minecraft and some other games on my phone. Right now I'm playing The Room.

I want to play the original unpatched Red Dead Redemption with the Manimals bug. ;)

I am a gamer. Mr CR is a gamer as well its one of the things we do to spend time with each other. We play Xbox. Currently we are playing call of duty black ops 2 cause the new one sucks. We play gta v and minecraft from time to time. I grew up with play station but I couldn't play with my brother because he always cheated. By cheating I mean he was better that me and I was a sore loser.

Does playing Pikmin on the WII and Candy Crush on the phone count as gaming?

I've been a gamer all my life, ever since I was 13 and I'm 50 now. Work and family and church and stuff has severely cut down on my gaming lately. A few years ago I played WoW for about a year.

I don't even play Farmville anymore. /sigh

I game with my kids but I suck. My two love Minecraft, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, GTA V.

We have a Wii (original) that we use for Mario games. Also a PS3 and XBox 360.

I struggle because of motion sickness so I'm usually dragged in to play if they need an extra person for finding easter eggs.

for myself i play Doctor Who Legacy on my phone. Gem matching time filler while I commute plus i love the Doctor.

Does playing Pikmin on the WII and Candy Crush on the phone count as gaming?

I've been a gamer all my life, ever since I was 13 and I'm 50 now. Work and family and church and stuff has severely cut down on my gaming lately. A few years ago I played WoW for about a year.

I don't even play Farmville anymore. /sigh

me either! is it even available still? :lol: i used to play that when our first kid was tiny and i struggled to get through days. I'd use crops as motivation to get things done in a certain time. We even saw someone's REAL farmville farm on a road trip. :D

post-10046-14451999393127_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I play Minecraft (rather badly), am a long term Tex Murphy fan (was a bit displeased with the game recently released that we waited 14 years for) and play quite a few mystery games off game house. Not a hard core gamer but do enjoy it.

Not hard core, but have played WOW off and on for five years. Enjoyed The Sims franchise up to the Sims 3 but am going to pass on the new Sims 4 release based on poor reviews. (Hopefully someday EA, like Microsoft will release a title that is fully formed and not essentially still a beta.) Sims Medieval was pretty entertaining partially because IRL I am a history buff and loved what the programmers did around common beliefs of the era.

Dabbled with Minecraft, found it utterly addicting. Waiting for Steam's Christmas sales to pick up new titles I want to check out.

Have stuck with PC games since the hard core gamer's around me custom build absurdly oversexed gaming machines. (Recently passed on an old gaming PC that was still three times the machine my non-gamer friend would ever need despite being five years old.) :lol:

i didn't grow up gaming, so i'm not great at it, but i do enjoy certain games. particular favourites are lord of the rings: the third age, star wars: the force unleashed, tekken, guitar hero, marvel: ultimate alliance, and one wwf game that i can't remember the name of (i made an owen hart character :) ). i also like god of war, but haven't played it in forever.

N64 is my favorite system. It's the system of my college years. BanjoKazooie, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time. I don't own one currently, but I'm tempted every time I walk into our local used bookstore, because they sell bundles.

I have a regular Wii, and I like Legend of Monkey Island.

I loved console games in the 1990's (see my icon). Legend of Kyrandia was SO AWESOME. I played it for an entire summer (this was before the internet had walk-throughs for every game). Zork Nemisis.

• 11 months later...

So I noticed another poster had a NukaCola avatar and went searching for a nerdy gamer thread. LO AND BEHOLD. I know this is an ancient thread I'm dredging up, but I can't start a new thread yet.

Anywho, I can't possibly express my excitement for Fallout 4. I'm playing Fallout 3 now and I'm playing the Fallout Vault game on my iphone. I get a little obsessive.

I'm outing myself now as a total nerd by admitting that I used to play MUDs on a 2400 baud modem. I have a pet named after Cloud of Final Fantasy VII and I once had a life size Cloud cut out in my living room. As an adult. Young adult, but still, over 18, a grown ass woman, paying my own bills and shit. I played Everquest way before it was a thing and used to have big debates over Everquest 2 vs WoW before they came out. I'll spare you all the rest of my gaming history (it started with PONG for f's sake).

Anyone else counting down the days for Fallout 4 or any other game?

mebeforee, I loved the first Walking Dead game, you're in for a rollercoaster of emotions if you're still at the beginning of the story!

I can't recommend other Telltale games enough - The Wolf Among Us was my favorite because I love fairy tales and it's soo atmospheric, beautiful noir, neon-style art, but really anything they release is awesome - Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, those two are still going at the moment and the waiting time between the episodes is always killing me!

so several months ago, i fell down the skyrim rabbit hole...and haven't quite emerged since! i'm almost afraid to touch oblivion at this point.

i'm considering getting minecraft sometime in the relatively near future, but i'm slightly hesitant as i may never come back to the land of the living...

so several months ago, i fell down the skyrim rabbit hole...and haven't quite emerged since! i'm almost afraid to touch oblivion at this point.

i'm considering getting minecraft sometime in the relatively near future, but i'm slightly hesitant as i may never come back to the land of the living...

If you like Skyrim, you might also like Elder Scrolls Online. It's an MMO, so the game functions differently, but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my PS4 is gone (stolen, burglary, booty hooty hoo) so my account is in hiatus and I doubt I'll re-up since we're not replacing the PS4. I may try the PC version of it though.

If you like Skyrim, you might also like Elder Scrolls Online. It's an MMO, so the game functions differently, but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my PS4 is gone (stolen, burglary, booty hooty hoo) so my account is in hiatus and I doubt I'll re-up since we're not replacing the PS4. I may try the PC version of it though.

is eso only for ps4? we had to sell ours so we could fix our brakes, so it'll be a while before we get another one. my ps3 isn't so good with staying online lol.

i've never played an mmo before, and i wouldn't have any friends going into it, would i be able to get the most out of it playing as a single player?

is eso only for ps4? we had to sell ours so we could fix our brakes, so it'll be a while before we get another one. my ps3 isn't so good with staying online lol.

i've never played an mmo before, and i wouldn't have any friends going into it, would i be able to get the most out of it playing as a single player?

No, they make it for PS4, Xbox One and PC, however each platform uses its own megaserver, meaning that if I play it again on PC, I won't be able to use my character I had on PS4. I only played it for a month or so, so I didn't get to any endgame type stuff but I'm sure you'd eventually have to group up if endgame is what you want. I enjoyed it solo and was planning on just going solo until I couldn't anymore. It was fun and weird to play an MMO on a console.

No, they make it for PS4, Xbox One and PC, however each platform uses its own megaserver, meaning that if I play it again on PC, I won't be able to use my character I had on PS4. I only played it for a month or so, so I didn't get to any endgame type stuff but I'm sure you'd eventually have to group up if endgame is what you want. I enjoyed it solo and was planning on just going solo until I couldn't anymore. It was fun and weird to play an MMO on a console.

well, it'll be a while before i get it, then, if i get it. i'm a little ocd about completing end game stuff...which is what is currently driving me crazy about skyrim.

Oh hey, I'm your evil twin! My husband makes fun of me because I rarely (like really rarely) ever finish a game. I'm the fuckin' master at go go go go go go go go yay go go go yay go go fun! go go go I'm done. It makes him nuts so he stopped paying attention to what I play and how I play. Which is fine because it makes me nuts that he doesn't check out every single little nook and cranny and read all the text at whatever game he's playing. Our kiddo takes after him, so they just blaze through games while I putter along smelling the virtual roses and then finally wander off to some other game.

With Skyrim, I completed a bunch of stuff I liked, like the thieve's guild stuff and most of the assassin's guild stuff and then... wandered off. That's just my steez.

bwahaha. i've done the main questline, the college questline, the bard college questline, and the stormcloak side of the civil war. i have a character lined up for the imperial side of the civil war and the dark brotherhood as well. i haven't come up with a solid character for the companions guild and i suck so badly at stealth, i'll probably never get the thieve's guild completed. :/

my favourite thing i've done so far, though, is getting the oblivion walker trophy. 15 daedric artifacts are a pain in the ass to get, but it was so worth it.

Archived