IGNORED

Stop the pussification of America ya'll

antares

We need to go back to sex segregated school! The feminization of schools is ruining our boys! Never let a smart boy near a school with girls, they'll ruin everything!

Fuck, why is it always womens fault when shit happens?

takimag.com/article/notes_on_the_pussification_of_america_fred_reed#axzz2lWu2gAY1

When exactly did girls have separate school? Well, maybe rich folk did. From what I understand the poor just didn't get educated, or they had one room schools, like Laura Ingalls wilder.

In Atlanta for many decades, there was a Boys' High and a Girls' High, both public schools (whites only). I think that up until the 1920s or so in the US that single-sex schools were the ideal, especially for older students. It seems that there might be a general co-Ed grammar school and then single-sex high schools. Remember, the Ivies weren't open to women until the early 1970s or so, and the public military colleges were all-male until the late 1990.

In Atlanta for many decades, there was a Boys' High and a Girls' High, both public schools (whites only). I think that up until the 1920s or so in the US that single-sex schools were the ideal, especially for older students. It seems that there might be a general co-Ed grammar school and then single-sex high schools. Remember, the Ivies weren't open to women until the early 1970s or so, and the public military colleges were all-male until the late 1990.

There is a charter school in East Atlanta that is still separate. And the Atlanta Girls School is alive and well

I attended an all-girls high school. Now I need to pick on him a bit.

First: By their nature, females are far more interested in social relationships than in academic substance. If you are a man, ask yourself how often you have serious intellectual discussions of politics, science, history, or society with women as compared to men. Seldom. Degrees and exceptions, yes. Still, seldom

True. Why? Because teen boys tend to be bullies and take over the conversation. Back in my high school we had serious intellectual discussions all the time, and we were never interrupted by a guy trying to prove that he had the largest...

Second: Women are totalitarian. Men are happy to let boys be boys and girls be girls. Women want all children to be girls. In school this means emphasizing diligence—neat homework done on time, no matter how silly or academically vacuous—over performance, meaning material learned. Women favor docility, orderliness, cooperation in groups, not making waves, niceness, and comity. For boys this is asphyxiating.

Yes, because who in their right mind would want a calm and peaceful learning environment? My high school didn't come with bullies or cliques or violent jocks picking on the short kid or the fat kid. Heck, I was the fattest kid and the only one who ever said anything was the school nurse.

Third: Women prefer security to freedom, males freedom to security. In politics, this has ominous implications for civil liberties. In the schools, this means that wrestling and dodge ball are violence, that tag might lead to a fall and scraped knees, that a little boy who draws a soldier with a rifle is a dangerous psychopath in the making. This is hysteria.

What's funny is how much freedom we had. No bells, no security guards on campus, no fear of being caught in the wrong corner at the wrong time. We had an amazing amount of trust and respect from our teachers and we rarely let them down. Over four years and four hundred student I can only remember two serious disciplinary issues involving six girls. Somehow this managed to work.

Fifth: In the United States, women simply dislike men.

Then why are there still straight marriages?

Finally: Women display a pedestrian practicality alien to males. If a woman needs to use a computer, she will learn to do it, and do it well. She won’t learn assembly-language programming for the pure joy of it. She can drive a car perfectly well but has no notion of what a cam lobe is or the difference between disk and drum brakes. This is why men invent things and women seldom do

And we're stopping you from this how? Somehow having a calm learning environment keeps you from learning computer languages or how to repair your car? How, exactly?

Personally I'm all for single sex schools. Calm, respectful, low-stress learning environments are so much better for girls.

Something I've never understood is why if men is supposedly the stronger sex (according to conservatives) then why are they so easily derailed by women? The ATI and VF crowd says that men are such horndogs that the mere sight of a bare ankle drives them insane. But if that's true, why should men be in charge? By the way they make it seem, women should be the leaders, since they aren't as liable to fall victim to sex scandals. Or now that women are entering college more than men, you have people like Taki complaining about the "feminization" of education. But shouldn't men welcome the challenge to beat the women if they're so competitive?

I also don't understand it when people like Taki say that modern co-ed school are forcing boys to be girls by making them stay still. When school generally were single-sex, the kind of discipline that was meted out for boys, at least, was pretty harsh (e.g., Birchings and canings, not "time out" or trips to the principal's office).

I'd consider a single sex high school for a daughter, for exactly the reasons Annie stated. For a boy, no way. They need the moderating influence of girls.

I went to a co-ed, regular, public school.

First: By their nature, females are far more interested in social relationships than in academic substance. If you are a man, ask yourself how often you have serious intellectual discussions of politics, science, history, or society with women as compared to men. Seldom. Degrees and exceptions, yes. Still, seldom

I call bullshit on this one. I was interested in only academics and sports while in high school. I didn't date and had few friends. My goal was to get into a military academy, so I studied my ass off. I was always part of whatever discussion we had in class. None of the boys tried to out talk the girls. Everyone had their fair say and everyone respected each other's opinions. Of course, I was in accelerated courses. It might have been different in the regular classes. To this day, I still love to talk politics, history, and science. My husband and I have discussions and debates constantly. If he can't find an intelligent woman to talk to, then he's either looking in the wrong place or (and probably more likely) he's a dumbass and intelligent people of all genders flee his presence.

Second: Women are totalitarian. Men are happy to let boys be boys and girls be girls. Women want all children to be girls. In school this means emphasizing diligence—neat homework done on time, no matter how silly or academically vacuous—over performance, meaning material learned. Women favor docility, orderliness, cooperation in groups, not making waves, niceness, and comity. For boys this is asphyxiating.

There's something wrong with diligence? I work in a male dominated field. Male dominated to the point that the female to male ratio in my career field is 15% to 85%. Even so, I still have to do pointless work. I still have to make sure my reports are neat, legible, and done on time. That is part of life. If you can't master it in high school, then you're in trouble. Life is full of deadlines and paperwork no matter what profession you chose. Suck it up and learn how to deal with it.

Third: Women prefer security to freedom, males freedom to security. In politics, this has ominous implications for civil liberties. In the schools, this means that wrestling and dodge ball are violence, that tag might lead to a fall and scraped knees, that a little boy who draws a soldier with a rifle is a dangerous psychopath in the making. This is hysteria.

Since when do females prefer security over freedom? If I remember correctly, it was a large majority of Democrats (the party with more women) that protested that passing of the Patriot Act. I railed against it when it was passed. I marched in protests over it. It was the old white guys (like my dad) who thought it was a great piece of legislation. In my experience, it's always been women who are most vocal when a piece of legislation is passed that strips away freedom (of course, that could be because legislation restricting women's freedom seems to the be the popular thing as of late).

Fifth: In the United States, women simply dislike men.

This statement is so incredibly stupid it doesn't deserve a comment.

Finally: Women display a pedestrian practicality alien to males. If a woman needs to use a computer, she will learn to do it, and do it well. She won’t learn assembly-language programming for the pure joy of it. She can drive a car perfectly well but has no notion of what a cam lobe is or the difference between disk and drum brakes. This is why men invent things and women seldom do

So, women learn things when they have to, not when they want to? Wow, so my voracious interest astrophysics is only due to my immediate need to know the chemical make up Jupiter. Because, apparently, it's information I need to know to do mechanical design work or change my kid's diaper? Is this guy smart enough to wipe his own ass? Because, I'm beginning to wonder.

Fundies, listen up!! I'm going to make it really, really simple for you.

Not all men/boys are alike.

Not all women/girls are alike.

Generalizations based on what you THINK all boys and girls are like are NOT valid.

Decades ago, at my old high school's academic awards night, a science teacher announced that, while the school's physics classes used to consist mainly of boys, they now had mostly girls--and he was happy about it, hoping to encourage more girls into the sciences!

When exactly did girls have separate school? Well, maybe rich folk did. From what I understand the poor just didn't get educated, or they had one room schools, like Laura Ingalls wilder.

This is from the same great minds that brought you the Titanic "women and children first!" tea parties. You are absolutely correct in pointing out that gender segregated schools were the purview of the upper classes. The poor either received no education or got it through a hodge podge of one-room schoolhouses. By the time most kids entered puberty, their education ended. Only a select few were able to go gender segregated high schools where boys learned to be leaders and girls learned to set up tea parties.

Furthermore, it always amuses me when fundies accuse women of "feminizing" schools by complaining about forcing kids to sit quietly and having neat handwriting. Uhm, what do people think those elite all-boy academies did? They made the boys sit quietly in class and made sure they did stuff like read, write and have good penmanship. They didn't tolerate boyish shenanigans, and reinforced the rules with a cane.

The fact that girls are pulling ahead of boys is not due to some feminist conspiracy that turned education into a girl-friendly and boy-hostile environment. I personally think it's that when schools were segregated and education was gender-specific, we couldn't compare the girls to boys. Now that we have a mixed environment, we can more easily compare the genders in school. We can see that girls thrive in a sit and study environment while some boys have a harder time adjusting to such a study style. In the past, those types of boys were just treated as lost causes in their all-boy schools. I have yet to have a fundie explain to me how the teaching styles of those all-boy schools were so much better for boys than today's modern educational system. After all, the same complaint they have of today's schools (sitting and lecturing, little tolerance for misbehavior etc) was also prevalent in the schools of yesteryear.

I'd consider a single sex high school for a daughter, for exactly the reasons Annie stated. For a boy, no way. They need the moderating influence of girls.

I hate this idea, it's part of the reason so many girls don't excel academically, as they are constantly made responsible for the ways the boys act, for making group-work go smoothly, encouraged to make sure everyone is included in recess activities etc.

Two words for this jackass - Grace Hopper. One of the first programmers for the Harvard Mark I computer, developer of the first compiler for a computer programming language, and a Rear Admiral to boot. I'm betting she got some "pure joy" out of her work.

My mother went to Hunter College High School in NYC, it was a gifted girls' only school in the 1930's. She was poor and so were the majority of the girls attending it. There were only 3 requirements: female, from one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, IQ >130. My mother and her peers hated when it went co-ed 40 or so years later.

I'm a lurker on a vintage VW message board and there are several women who not only own them, they do their own maintenance! Take THAT!

Two words for this jackass - Grace Hopper. One of the first programmers for the Harvard Mark I computer, developer of the first compiler for a computer programming language, and a Rear Admiral to boot. I'm betting she got some "pure joy" out of her work.

Rosalind Franklin. Discovered the double helix structure of DNA.

Ada Lovelace. Invented the first algorithm to be processed by a machine; world's first computer programmer.

Marie Curie. Discovered radium.

Mary Anderson. Invented the windshield wiper.

Patricia Billings. Invented Geobond, a nontoxic substitute for asbestos.

Stephanie Kwolek. Invented Kevlar.

Patsy Sherman. Invented Scotchgard.

Jackass.

Rosalind Franklin. Discovered the double helix structure of DNA.

Ada Lovelace. Invented the first algorithm to be processed by a machine; world's first computer programmer.

Marie Curie. Discovered radium.

Mary Anderson. Invented the windshield wiper.

Patricia Billings. Invented Geobond, a nontoxic substitute for asbestos.

Stephanie Kwolek. Invented Kevlar.

Patsy Sherman. Invented Scotchgard.

Jackass.

And those are just the women who invented things that were acknowledged. Who knows how many women invented things that are credited to men. In a world where women are "helpmeets" and "submissive" there is no downside to a man claiming her intellectual property.

Archived