IGNORED

Nathan overshadowed

fundiefan

Between Uriah getting a bath and the engagement, Nathan posted on the Maxwell blog.

He thanked people, for their prayers but also for their advice/opinions on Abby's bike helmet. He acknowledged the hard work of being a mother as he played Mr. Mom for a week when Melanie had the baby.

He was, in short, humble and respectful of other people. So totally not his father.

It was still kind of a sanctimonious post and I have to say I don't like Nathan any more than any other Maxwell. But - and it's a big but - somewhere along the line, he learned at least the basics of human interaction. Acknowledge other people, their ideas, thoughts and words. Other people count.

In that one post he gave more to the Maxwell readers than Sarah, er, Steve, has given in years.

His post magically appeared AFTER someone on here said it would be nice if the new dads posted a little "thank you for the prayers" type post for the moms & babies. Something to consider.

It was still kind of a sanctimonious post and I have to say I don't like Nathan any more than any other Maxwell. But - and it's a big but - somewhere along the line, he learned at least the basics of human interaction. Acknowledge other people, their ideas, thoughts and words. Other people count.

In that one post he gave more to the Maxwell readers than Sarah, er, Steve, has given in years.

It's almost like he understands the concept of human interaction but can't quite figure out the nuts and bolts of it. And he's one of the kids that had a life at one point. I can't imagine trying to hold a conversation with one of the reversal 5.

His post magically appeared AFTER someone on here said it would be nice if the new dads posted a little "thank you for the prayers" type post for the moms & babies. Something to consider.

I know, but even so. Others suggested it, he responded. It at the very least shows awareness of other people. Something that for most is entirely normal and not even worth mentioning. For a Maxwell, it is so out of character and unusual that it's noticeable.

terranova, I agree. He gets it on the surface, no further. And I can't even comprehend what a conversation with any of them - much less a reversal kid - would be like. One sided, obviously. But, how the hell could you have a valid conversation with any Maxwell. It is one thing that actually would be impossible, I think. No amount of effort would get you anywhere, other than maybe a corner with a really hard wall to bang your head against.

I know, but even so. Others suggested it, he responded. It at the very least shows awareness of other people. Something that for most is entirely normal and not even worth mentioning. For a Maxwell, it is so out of character and unusual that it's noticeable.

terranova, I agree. He gets it on the surface, no further. And I can't even comprehend what a conversation with any of them - much less a reversal kid - would be like. One sided, obviously. But, how the hell could you have a valid conversation with any Maxwell. It is one thing that actually would be impossible, I think. No amount of effort would get you anywhere, other than maybe a corner with a really hard wall to bang your head against.

I would only attempt a conversation with any of them if I had a good stiff drink on hand. And then they'd probably not speak to me anyways.

I would only attempt a conversation with any of them if I had a good stiff drink on hand. And then they'd probably not speak to me anyways.

And that drink would have to be at least the third or fourth even leading up to the attempt.

Yeah I saw that. One thing that stood out was how he called himself Mr Mom while Melanie was recovering. Nathan, you are not Mr Mom. You are dad. And dads are quite capable of doing all the things that mothers do for their children. If you were looking after your children while Melanie recovered, you were being a dad, something that you should be every single day.

That annoyed me as well.

I have to say that at least he is trying to be somewhat humble which is more than I can say for his dad.

Not that he's normal or anything, because he's far from it, but he seems like the closest one to noticing other people and paying attention to what they're saying. And he acknowledged Melanie's hard work, which is something his father never would have done. Taking other peoples advice and admitting he wasn't 100% right is something I can't imagine from the other Maxwells. Maybe it's because he's had what some might call friends, and done t hings that were what some might call fun. And he's the oldest of teh non-reversal kids, so he probably remembers teh semi normal life the most, and probably remembers being the most normal, because Steve's slide into crazy seems very gradual.

Of course, there's a lot that's bad about the way Nathan lives, because he's among the fundiest of fundies, but he's probably the best of Steve and Teri's children.

Although I was also a bit annoyed by his 'Mr Mom' comment, I was otherwise impressed with Nathan's post. He was humble about his mistake re. Abigail's bike helmet, thanked the people who had pointed it out and showed that he had taken their advice. He also acknowledged Melanie's hard work, and thanked people for their prayers. I agree with the OP, Nathan gave more in that post than the rest of the Maxwells have in years.

Of course, I'm now feeling a bit sad, because it makes me wonder how Nathan might have turned out if he hadn't been born into an increasingly crazily-fundy family. Sigh...

Guest Anonymous

He also wrote a humble post and acknowleged that Mel was struggling emotionally after the last traumatic birth. But then he gave that arrogant interview to scamaritan ministries saying how some people didn't deserve to have his contributions to their healthcare...

Archived