IGNORED

Duggars and Pajamas

graciebeth

Why do you all think the Duggars don't allow pajamas downstairs? They've said multiple times they "discourage" wearing pajamas outside the bedroom. This has always seemed odd to me, and my theory is that all the morning wood from all those boys would be too defrauding for the girls, but of course I could be wrong. I'd like to hear your reasonings.

I thought they all slept in regular clothes and didn't have pyjamas? Denim skirts must be so uncomfortable to sleep in.

any hint of a boob or nipple or bottom could set off a chain reaction in the boys. just think of the extra laundry. this is only because there is so much sexual repression anything could set them off. sin in the camp and all that. I wonder if morning woodies are even allowed is it a sin?

• Upvote 1

I can never figure out the pj rules. In the first specials, pre-TTH we see the kids in pjs. lately the older kids have not been seen wearing pjs but we still see Johannah and younger in pjs. I wondered if they worried since the little girls wear nightgowns and are so wild downstairs (climbing all over the counters and hanging from the staircase) that they might be some nike moments.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the older girls wearing bras? Do they wear bras to bed with there polos and skirts?

This is one issue I do feel really bad for the older girls on. I have a large pj collection and who doesnt want to wear comfy pjs during PMS time? or on a cold night snuggling under a blankie(or are blankies banned?).

None of the girls look busty enough to need to wear bras. I think the pj thing is about not having extra laundry, but you need fewer pjs than day clothes so it wouldn't add much more laundry.

I think Michelle said on an interview with Ellie and her blogging mom, she and the girls wear old golf shirts and stretchy jersey skirts to bed. Not sure why they don't just wear nighties? Don't know why the guys don't wear pj's - or pj pants and old t-shirts? It looks as if the younger kids wear night clothes. Amy posted a pic a few years ago of Joy in her nightie when thye all went to Dollywood.

Sleeping in jeans is not nice. It could be they just want to keep their modesty while being filmed and fake getting up or going to bed for filming. If I were one of the older Duggars, I would not want to be filmed for the whole world to see in my pajamas.

Their rules regarding pjs or what they wear to sleep seem to have changed over the years, but it probably all has to do with an attempt to stop brothers and sisters from defrauding each other. I also imagine getting into clothes right away would make sure the J'Slaves are ready for their hard days work. Girls definately wouldn't be allowed to wear pjs with *gasp* pants, and night gowns probably show too much.

I have no idea why the girls can't wear old-fashioned prairie-style nightgowns. They wouldn't be expensive to have made and would be easy to make if anyone in the house can sew. A nightgown is so much more comfortable than anything with a waistband.

Not to go off topic but it is sad the boys can't even be horny without feeling like a sinner.

Not to go off topic but it is sad the boys can't even be horny without feeling like a sinner.

worse still they have to confess it to mommy and daddy.

I feel worse for the girls.... they're never gonna know how awesome their own body is for things other than birthin'.

worse still they have to confess it to mommy and daddy.

Nothing crushes sexual urges like the prospect of having to tell your parents. That would be mortifying.

It's even more sad the the girls can't be horny without feeling like a sinner. At least the boys will be allowed to enjoy sex when they get married, but the girls will marry control freaks who will care nothing about their satisfaction because the woman doesn't have to like it to make babies.

The whole 'absolutely everything in the whole wide world is about sex' thing with fundies really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Siblings can't change in the vicinity of each other - why? sex. Kids can't have the doors to their rooms closed - why? sex. The Duggars can't be downstairs in their jammies - why? sex. Absolutely everything goes back to sex.

I know a few crazy kinky people who don't think about sex nearly as much as these 'modest' 'chaste' 'godly' people.

I bet they can't wear nightgowns because the always ride up during the night and then the girls who share a bed would be there, under the covers with their panties showing! :o

All these rules must be exhausting.

Weren't their children in pyjamas waiting to use bathroom in one of the early specials? So much for modesty!

Anyone who thinks a child is defrauding in pyjamas has serious issues.

Sleeping in a calf length skirt seems more risky than a full length nightie. Whenever I sleep in a nightie that length is always rides up to my hips by the time I wake up. Wouldn't that defraud whatever little sister the old girl is sharing her bed with?

The whole 'absolutely everything in the whole wide world is about sex' thing with fundies really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Siblings can't change in the vicinity of each other - why? sex. Kids can't have the doors to their rooms closed - why? sex. The Duggars can't be downstairs in their jammies - why? sex. Absolutely everything goes back to sex.

I know a few crazy kinky people who don't think about sex nearly as much as these 'modest' 'chaste' 'godly' people.

You know what? Freud would have gone crazy over the Fundies. Had he been faced with those during hise lifetime, we would have had a completely different set of works. Throw Jung in there too and my oh my, all the sex thoughts from the supposedly modest peeps would have been too much for these two.

You know what? Freud would have gone crazy over the Fundies. Had he been faced with those during hise lifetime, we would have had a completely different set of works. Throw Jung in there too and my oh my, all the sex thoughts from the supposedly modest peeps would have been too much for these two.

SO true!

I heard ( I think from the rebelution?) that the idea behind it is if a boy sees you in pjs he will start to imagine you lying in bed which may lead his mind to other more defrauding thoughts. Some take that further and suggest girls should refrain from even lying down in front of boys for the same reasons.

• WTF 1

I don't know if it is about the defrauding. They have bathrooms/sinks/mirrors in their bedrooms, so if they have to do all their general getting-ready before breakfast then it probably speeds things up in the mornings, whereas if they eat in their PJs and then go upstairs to get dressed I imagine the younger kids would get sidetracked and not want to go back downstairs for SOTDRT.

Hang on, don't they store their clothes downstairs, though? How does that work?

I kind of want to buy the girls some cute flannel PJs/nighties and mail them to them. Sleeping in clothes sucks.

True, I don't actually watch the duggars, just read about them on here. I've just heard that rational, but I guess it doesn't really explain their specific situation.

I think Michelle said on an interview with Ellie and her blogging mom, she and the girls wear old golf shirts and stretchy jersey skirts to bed. Not sure why they don't just wear nighties? Don't know why the guys don't wear pj's - or pj pants and old t-shirts? It looks as if the younger kids wear night clothes. Amy posted a pic a few years ago of Joy in her nightie when thye all went to Dollywood.

I was just going to ask what you think Michelle wears but I see that has been answered, only I find it hard to believe. Does JimBoob not have anything to say in the matter? Can he get aroused when he needs to at the sight of Michelle in an old golf shirt and skirt? I imagine her with a closet of pretty nightgowns and bed jackets-- she sure has spent a large part of her life in bed, nursing and recovering.

And if she is telling the truth, how depressing. I can kind of imagine that the girls sleep in street clothes but with the promise that once they are married and sharing a bed with a husband, they get nightgowns. But how sad that even when you are married and have sexy times with your husband you still wear ratty old street clothes to bed.

Wonder what the Boob and The SmugBoob, Jr. wear?

Jim Bob shouts 'Fore' at the sight of the golf tee..and that there is the equivalent of gettin' in the mood.

I always thought they slept in clothes because they were just too lazy to change the kids. Too busy with bible time.

• 9 years later...

It's been almost a decade since this was posted and now we know why they were so weird about pajamas...

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 2