IGNORED

Faith "healing" couple take plea deal in child's death

teddybear

Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not. I hope they are found guilty of the manslaughter charges.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2018397607.html

Faith-healing couple from Okanogan County take plea in son's death

By The Associated Press

OKANOGAN — A north-central Washington couple has agreed to accept a plea deal that spares them jail time but holds them responsible for their teenage son's death in 2009 after they failed to call a doctor.

A jury acquitted JaLea and Greg Swezey, of Carlton, Okanogan County, of second-degree-murder charges for failing to call a doctor or ambulance before their son Zachery, 17, died of a ruptured appendix.

However, they still faced manslaughter charges.

JaLea Swezey pleaded guilty Thursday to third-degree criminal mistreatment and received a suspended sentence.

Greg Swezey was charged with second-degree criminal mistreatment and his case was continued for two years.

That charge will be reduced to third-degree criminal mistreatment if he commits no felonies in the next two years, and he also would receive a suspended sentence, The Wenatchee World reported.

The Swezeys are members of the Church of the First Born, which believes in faith healing.

Okanogan County Prosecutor Karl Sloan argued during their May trial that all indications showed the Swezeys knew their son's situation was grave.

But Greg Swezey testified that he did not know until minutes before Zachery died on March 18, 2009, that his son was dying.

In developing a plea deal, Sloan said he wanted to ensure protection for the couple's 4-year-old daughter.

Under the deal, they agreed to contact Child Protective Services if a child under their care is ill or injured.

Judge Chris Culp said he felt the case was about responsibility and the role of a parent.

After sentencing JaLea Swezey, Culp said, "I think today, in no small measure, that Mrs. Swezey, you are taking responsibility for your actions or inactions in a way that hopefully will bring some closure to this really unfortunate chapter."

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2012 ... h-healing/

Swezey plea means no appeal of faith healing ruling

By K.C. Mehaffey

World staff writer

Saturday, June 9, 2012

OKANOGAN — A pretrial ruling upholding a state law that allows faith healing for Christian Scientists but not other religions will go unchallenged now that Greg and JaLea Swezey agreed to plea deals, their lawyer says.

As members of the Church of the First Born, the Swezeys believe in faith healing. They were accused of failing to call a doctor while their 17-year-old son died of a ruptured appendix, and they prayed for him to get better.

Before their trial, Okanogan County Superior Court Judge Chris Culp declined to dismiss their case after their attorneys argued that they were not being treated equally under the law.

State law — RCW 9A.42.005 — allows treatment by a “duly accredited Christian Science practitioner in lieu of medical care†but does not include treatment by other church practitioners.

“They never wanted to be the poster child for changing the law in Washington, even though the law begs to be changed,†said Omak attorney Douglas “Gil†Webber, who represented Greg Swezey.

The Swezeys were acquitted of second-degree murder after a four-day trial in mid-May, but the jury could not agree on whether the Carlton couple should be convicted of second-degree manslaughter.

On Thursday, rather than face a retrial on manslaughter charges, JaLea Swezey pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal mistreatment on Thursday, and Greg Swezey signed papers agreeing to plead guilty to the same crime after two years, if he follows court orders and commits no felonies during that time.

Webber said by signing a plea deal, the Swezeys gave up their right to appeal the judge’s ruling.

“It’s a bizarre thing that that law is out there,†he added.

A spokesperson for the Christian Science Church previously declined to define what it means to be a duly accredited practitioner.

Rita Swan, president of CHILD Inc., a national nonprofit group to that works to protect children from abusive religious and cultural practices, said Christian Science practitioners are not medically trained. She said while they are required to report child abuse and neglect to the state, the state Department of Social and Health Services does not include them in their list of mandated child abuse reporters.

She said she’s disappointed that attorneys for the Swezeys won’t be appealing the ruling.

“I understand they have to do what’s in the best interest of their clients,†she said, adding, “Maybe there will be enough publicity that it will motivate the legislature to change this.â€

I find the bolded parts in the second article to be disturbing. How can they exempt one religious tradition but not another? I think they should all be held accountable!

well so much for punishment. this will not stop anything. I doubt they will commit felonies so they woulds be ok. so lets hope the manslaughter charges hit home. I can't see the murder charges working. I mean they did not murder him they neglected him to death.

Archived