IGNORED

White Supremacists a big factor in the war on birth control?

doggie

This article is really making me start to wonder how much of the GOP obsession with bc is the brown fear. Though they claim religious freedom may be rooted much deeper. It has mostly been while people doing the screaming about birth control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff ... 34814.html

When you're a writer, being pitched stories inspired by various conspiracy theories by friends, family and total strangers, becomes a fact of life.

So does ignoring most of them.

So when I first began hearing murmurs that there may be more to the political battle over contraception than simply the usual culprits -- sexism, misogyny and political posturing -- I was skeptical. But as more and more people who I don't consider your usual, run-of-the-mill conspiracy nuts began mentioning one theory in particular regarding part of the motivation behind the battle over contraception, and the larger war on women in general, I began to wonder: Could they be on to something?

Now, thanks to my recent interviews with a prominent white supremacist and one of the nation's foremost experts on them, I don't have to wonder any longer. Let's just say that for some, the battle over birth control happens to align with a much bigger, long-term culture war. Not a culture war over religious freedom, as some would have you believe, but a war over the browning of America.

This article is really making me start to wonder how much of the GOP obsession with bc is the brown fear. Though they claim religious freedom may be rooted much deeper. It has mostly been while people doing the screaming about birth control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff ... 34814.html

When you're a writer, being pitched stories inspired by various conspiracy theories by friends, family and total strangers, becomes a fact of life.

So does ignoring most of them.

So when I first began hearing murmurs that there may be more to the political battle over contraception than simply the usual culprits -- sexism, misogyny and political posturing -- I was skeptical. But as more and more people who I don't consider your usual, run-of-the-mill conspiracy nuts began mentioning one theory in particular regarding part of the motivation behind the battle over contraception, and the larger war on women in general, I began to wonder: Could they be on to something?

Now, thanks to my recent interviews with a prominent white supremacist and one of the nation's foremost experts on them, I don't have to wonder any longer. Let's just say that for some, the battle over birth control happens to align with a much bigger, long-term culture war. Not a culture war over religious freedom, as some would have you believe, but a war over the browning of America.

Excellent article. You can hear the tinge of racism when J'chelle and Joshy boy talk about "not even meeting the replacement level (or however they put it)" of reproduction re:population.

(For the record, he never asked about my race during our phone interview and I may have forgotten to mention it. Oops.)

Love

I wonder how many people look at me with my two white girls and think of us all as just vessels for more white babies.

They better not say anything because I would beat them shitless.

Aheh, sorry about the reactionary anger but... still. -_-

Makes sense. I used to post on Stormfront and there was a lot of talk about birth control, population growth, the need for more white babies, etc. There was also a small but very present minority that advocated polygamy for the purpose of increasing white birth rates.

That was also the first place I heard of VF and the Phillips' - prior to the Ron Paul love, there was support for Doug's father's "Constitution Party" and some people had Doug's quote on children being a blessing and debt being a curse in their sigs. There were (are?) also occasional threads on the Duggars, with most people praising them and many people saying that whites should hold them up as an example and try to encourage more people to be like them.

Interesting article.

Although, I wonder, would a war on birth control/abortion really result in a sudden white majority? Wouldn't the lack of those things affect people of all colors, and particularly the underprivelaged, and affect numbers among all races? (isn't that a major point of the opposition to going this direction?) It seems like kind of a strange way to go about promoting their hope for a whiter America, so if this conspiracy is actually truth, I can't see it working out all that well.

Both pro- and anti-natalist sides have had their share of racist adherants. There was a good bit of nasty in the "progressive" eugenics movement of the early 20th century, and it took both forms. And I've met some really whacko racists, some fundamentalist and some not. And, um, there was my one grandma. :( But I can't say they make up the majority of my aquaintances, even among fundies. Plus there are people of color who are fundamentalist in faith, anti-abortion, and pro-natalist. The white, Reformed-y, ATI/VF types that get the most attention here are one segment of conservatism and fundamentalism, but not the whole, and even there I know several mixed-race families, and of course there's a ton of international adoption which is probably going to result in more such families in a few years.

Anyhoo, I'm sure it's a wish of those who are white supremacists. I don't know that I'd swallow the conspiracy theory though.

According to Mark Potok, a Senior Fellow at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, the shifting racial demographics in America has fueled what he calls an "explosion" in hate groups in recent years. "The radical right has expanded just explosively over the last three years. It's been quite stunning." He went on to explain that the explosion has been fueled by three factors: the 2008 economic collapse, the election of Barack Obama, and lastly, "the most important reason for this growth is the changing racial demographic of this country, specifically the idea that whites will soon lose their majority

The far right uses prejudice and fear to control their followers. Their battle cry seems to be, "Keep everything the same." Without the mythological view of a perfect, America or the fear of others, the Republicans would have little support.

I would not be surprised, I occassionally lurk on stormfront and they go on ALL the time about the coming extinction of white people.

Has there been any other press covering about this topic recently? But wait, watch as the republicans claim the libruls to be anti-republican by when the news is using evidence that white supremecists are homophobic, misogynist, anc racist. They will say that the libruls faked the interviews and recordings, somehow. :roll:

This is bound to cause confusion for the forced-birthers that claim Planned Parenthood was created by Margaret Sanger for the sole purpose of eliminating minority babies. How can they call Planned Parenthood racist while screaming white power?

I Had always gotten the feeling it was more we need more white christian babies over just more babies. Catholic churches will take any babies they can get it seems.

Although, I wonder, would a war on birth control/abortion really result in a sudden white majority? Wouldn't the lack of those things affect people of all colors, and particularly the underprivelaged, and affect numbers among all races? (isn't that a major point of the opposition to going this direction?) It seems like kind of a strange way to go about promoting their hope for a whiter America, so if this conspiracy is actually truth, I can't see it working out all that well.

No, it would not result in a "white majority". Before Griswold, and before Roe, women of any means managed to get hold of contraceptives and arrange abortions. It will just go back to poor women (of all races) not being able to obtain these things.

So if it's a plan, it's not a really good one, then. Which is why I'm not really buying the massive racist conspiracy thing. I understand that some fringe wackos might think it would work (because they're wackos), but if people are really looking to reduce the birth rates of minorities and the underprivelaged, it seems like opposing abortion and even more so birth control would be shooting themselves in the foot.

So if it's a plan, it's not a really good one, then. Which is why I'm not really buying the massive racist conspiracy thing. I understand that some fringe wackos might think it would work (because they're wackos), but if people are really looking to reduce the birth rates of minorities and the underprivelaged, it seems like opposing abortion and even more so birth control would be shooting themselves in the foot.

well you have to understand they don't have a secret Giant Kabul to get all the details straight. But a good share of white fundamentalists are racist. it seems to go with the job all the fear and ignorance and all.

but the problem is They have these morals and the morals conflict with their goals. No one says fundies are logical.

Interesting article.

Although, I wonder, would a war on birth control/abortion really result in a sudden white majority? Wouldn't the lack of those things affect people of all colors, and particularly the underprivelaged, and affect numbers among all races?

They're trying to get it out of mandatory insurance rules. To old, white, GOP men, people with insurance = white people. People w/ no insurance = illegals and ghetto black folk. If you look at it as a culture war, even if middle class brown people are included in the group they are taking the mandatory insurance rules from, it will still strengthen the white culture over the culture of the group of brown people that the GOP fears. (That was a real clunker of a sentence, I hope y'all understood me.)

The abortion issue is probably the same. I don't know the stats, but I bet the rate of white birth as a proportion of the overall birthrate would increase relative to that of latino and black birthrates.

Either way, no, it wouldn't result in a sudden white majority. But demographic shifts are big things that take a long time.

I have always seen an element of racism in the war on birth control. I think people like the Duggars are trying to outbreed the stereotypical large Catholic families from Mexico and other Latin American countries.

I've seen this element in some fundie bloggers, but definitely not all. There are fundies who aren't white, so it's definitely not just creating more white babies. Demographic Winter has a racist element for certain.

I wonder how many people look at me with my two white girls and think of us all as just vessels for more white babies.

They better not say anything because I would beat them shitless.

Aheh, sorry about the reactionary anger but... still. -_-

Somewhat OT, but actually not ... When you mention your two white girls, for some reason, I automatically thought of that group Prussian Blue. Not sure if anyone here heard of them. They are twin girls, Lynx and Lamb, raised by their mother as white supremacists. They toured around the world, singing at white nationalist outings. I had originally heard about them online, but they eventually became known enough that they were featured on Primetime.

Something made me look them up last year. They ended up getting enrolled in a public school, denounced the beliefs they were raised by, and are now peace loving, pot smoking liberals.

If this is truly their motivation, then they fail logic forever.

Racial minorities are, sadly, often poor and reproduce at higher rates simply because they do not have access to reliable birth control. Outlawing birth control may cause a spike in births among white women but it will not reduce the birth rates among the portion of the population that is already unable to access birth control.

I would not be surprised, I occassionally lurk on stormfront and they go on ALL the time about the coming extinction of white people.

I lurk there sometimes also, and I get great joy from the fact that they would look at my family and think we are white *by their definition*. That is, not Jewish, Central Asian, Italian, Native American, all the mixed up not-so-aryan ethnicities that have given me a passel of fair, green-eyed children.

I lurk there sometimes also, and I get great joy from the fact that they would look at my family and think we are white *by their definition*. That is, not Jewish, Central Asian, Italian, Native American, all the mixed up not-so-aryan ethnicities that have given me a passel of fair, green-eyed children.

Y'all are nuts. I went there a few times thinking I would enjoy a little outrage. But it was disgusting beyond what I could stomach.

Archived