IGNORED

Yet Another Ladies Tea @ Food and Family Conference

GeoBQn

There's going to be (surprise!) an Edwardian Ladies Tea at Dougie's Reformation of Food and Family Conference. They really want to get their money's worth out of their Titanic outfits, don't they?

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/05/10124/

I'm not surprised that the VF crowd is going to celebrate food by focusing on a decade when the pinnacle of sophisticated American cuisine was to boil meat and vegetables for hours, then smother it with "white sauce." The 1910's were a time when they didn't want to enhance the flavor of food--they wanted to tame it.

Now It is Your Turn to Be Part of History

Join Beall Phillips and a list of special guests at the historic Menger Hotel for a beautiful “turn of the century†ladies tea as part of our launch for the Reformation of Food & the Family conference. Travel back with them in time to the 1900’s and beyond as they look back on great lessons from more than a century of family-based hospitality, and as they share words of hope to the Christian ladies of the 21st century. Join them for a special season of encouragement and blessing that you won’t forget.

I doubt that Beall Phillips would consider my great-grandmother a lady, what with her being a poor Jewish immigrant, but in 1910, my great-grandmother was able to show her hospitality without tea and petit fours, or that much money. Family and friends loved her fried herring, chicken soup, and strudel. THAT'S a time I'm curious about. I'm trying to find recipes similar to what she made.

Do these women do anything other than put on cheap hats and drink tea? Honestly, this is as creative as they get? There MUST be SOMETHING else they could do for fun. Maybe take a nature walk or go to a museum or something. Or are they not allowed out or anywhere where they might learn something useful?

Honestly - and I'm not even being snarky, nor am I a Christian - but I can't imagine much that is less "Christian" than charging exorbitant amounts to dress up in costumes and sit around preening and talking about how holy you are. It's fine to have a big gathering with "like-minded" folks once a year, especially if you are isolated the rest of the time, but I can't believe these people aren't embarrassed to not even have one activity around volunteering at a soup kitchen or making blankets for the homeless or SOMETHING. All those girls and women with great cooking, sewing, crafting skills - couldn't they all make gifts and visit a local nursing home or a children's cancer ward? I'm just disgusted. And seriously, a conference on food that doesn't involve a heavy focus on feeding the hungry? Instead they are going to focus on how wealthy people 100 years ago used to eat? Have they actually read the New Testament?

I am a costumer and have attended two Titanic luncheons this spring. The tickets were not terribly expensive. There were about 80 of us gathered in costume for great fun with good friends and good food. I cannot imagine attending something as boring as dressing in costume with Beal Phillips and her entrourage.

http://www.situseattle.com/ Come and see what real costumers do.

Honestly - and I'm not even being snarky, nor am I a Christian - but I can't imagine much that is less "Christian" than charging exorbitant amounts to dress up in costumes and sit around preening and talking about how holy you are. It's fine to have a big gathering with "like-minded" folks once a year, especially if you are isolated the rest of the time, but I can't believe these people aren't embarrassed to not even have one activity around volunteering at a soup kitchen or making blankets for the homeless or SOMETHING. All those girls and women with great cooking, sewing, crafting skills - couldn't they all make gifts and visit a local nursing home or a children's cancer ward? I'm just disgusted. And seriously, a conference on food that doesn't involve a heavy focus on feeding the hungry? Instead they are going to focus on how wealthy people 100 years ago used to eat? Have they actually read the New Testament?

I don't think their sewing, crafting or cooking skills are as good as they make them out to be.

Also, doing actual volunteer work would involve working with people who aren't from their little sphere, and would expose them to heaven knows what. Christians aren't supposed to risk that, they're supposed to stay apart from the world.

Besides, charity is works, and one gains salvation through faith, not works. Doing works means you don't have faith and you're trying to buy your way into heaven,

I don't think their sewing, crafting or cooking skills are as good as they make them out to be.

Also, doing actual volunteer work would involve working with people who aren't from their little sphere, and would expose them to heaven knows what. Christians aren't supposed to risk that, they're supposed to stay apart from the world.

Besides, charity is works, and one gains salvation through faith, not works. Doing works means you don't have faith and you're trying to buy your way into heaven,

I've noticed that VF women - at least those who keep blogs - seem to be much more handy at the domestic arts than ATI girls. The former talk about mutli-course ethnic meals they have prepared, and the latter about things like french bread pizza. Class probably has a lot to do with this, as VF appears to have the wealthier and more "sophisticated" fundies.

I think most VFers really like the ATI idea and world view but don't tend to want/believe in all the restrictions of Gotthardism esp skirts only.Their are plenty like the Duggars who are both though.

Now It is Your Turn to Be Part of History

Join Beall Phillips and a list of special guests at the historic Menger Hotel for a beautiful “turn of the century†ladies tea as part of our launch for the Reformation of Food & the Family conference. Travel back with them in time to the 1900’s and beyond as they look back on great lessons from more than a century of family-based hospitality, and as they share words of hope to the Christian ladies of the 21st century. Join them for a special season of encouragement and blessing that you won’t forget.

Wow..."special season", "encouragement" and "blessing" in one sentence! I think someone just won fundie bingo :roll:

I would so fucking go to one of these if I was in the US. Just to see how they'd react to me. I'd even put a dress on.

Well, at home they are totally submissive to the headships, and the headships only want red meat, 'taters & beans, so the chance to eat cucumber sandwiches & sip some Lipton is just too irresistible, & Doug know$ that.

Have it on good authority that Doug want$ this conference becau$e he I$ $eriou$ly concerned about obe$ity among$t hi$ $heeple. "Obesity crisis in USA" is all I hear about on local media these days and IMHO it's the next big crusade now that smoking is essentially marginalized. So, Doug is riding the curve on this one.

Curiously, you don't see a lot of fatties in VF or VF-adherents' photos. Maybe they just don't turn the camera on those types. ;)

Wow..."special season", "encouragement" and "blessing" in one sentence! I think someone just won fundie bingo :roll:

They forgot one very important word. They could have said, "Purpose to join them for a special season of encouragement and blessing that you won't forget." :lol:

I would so fucking go to one of these if I was in the US. Just to see how they'd react to me. I'd even put a dress on.

I would come sit next to you for that (sneaking in the back door so I could avoid putting the exorbitant event fee into VF's coffers).

I'm also just DYING to know what the "food heresy" session is all about. If I had to guess, I would say it probably has a lot to do with the evil, stupid vegetarians who refuse to take the gifts that the Lord has provided. :roll: And maybe also about how it's a sin to feel tired or frustrated from cooking for a huge brood, or to take shortcuts instead of cooking from scratch. I think "encouragement" and "blessing" are synonymous with "guilt trip" in that universe.

Food Heresy is something that I've heard refer false claims on food products (like anti-oxidants prevent cancer etc...) or eating food out of season. I wonder if they are discussing the former? There's a chance that not everything they discuss or learn is religious hogwash...

Guest Anonymous

I would come sit next to you for that (sneaking in the back door so I could avoid putting the exorbitant event fee into VF's coffers).

I would go, but only if we had a fundie horrifying girl on girl make-out session at the end.

I would go, but only if we had a fundie horrifying girl on girl make-out session at the end.

I would willingly participate in this. :D

Curiously, you don't see a lot of fatties in VF or VF-adherents' photos. Maybe they just don't turn the camera on those types. ;)

They aren't going to feature anyone who doesn't look perfect (according to their standards.) That would mean their way of life is an EPIC fail. (which it is.)

They aren't going to feature anyone who doesn't look perfect (according to their standards.) That would mean their way of life is an EPIC fail. (which it is.)

Forgot to mention that Doug is a tool.

Food heresy? Yeah, probably more like don't make food an idol a la Steve-O = "If it tastes good, spit it out".

Teas, themselves, are wonderful, though! I'm really looking forward to going to tea @ the Steampunk World's Fair this weekend. I think we're going to pick a nice little "mundane" shop near the hotel & see how many people come up & ask us about our dresses & experiments! JFC, Celestial & Lissar - you'd all be more than welcome at our table!

Maybe (definitely) I'm a little over-sensitive about the veg thing, haha. But I HAVE seen it mentioned on many fundie blogs that vegetarianism is a sin.

As far as false claims on food (btw, is it true that antioxidants DON'T prevent tumors after all? I keep hearing conflicting info), this anti-science crowd is one to talk!

Forgot to mention that Doug is a tool.

Both points well taken!

I was going to mention Joe "Fluffy" Morecraft but he really only shows up on VF-sponsored tours, doesn't he -- and then, he's shown in a wheelchair, so that explains everything (no, it doesn't...)

Going to pore over photos of VF audiences, etc., next time I have nothing else to do. Where are your real people, Dougie-dear????? :D

Now they are saying that overdoing with anti-oxidants will actually slightly increase one's chances of getting cancer. I think the message is to do everything in moderation and to get one's anti-oxidants from normal sources not supplements etc...

I'm not a vegetarian but I have a really hard time figuring out how it could be classified as a sin. I can't reconcile the idea of not eating meat as some sort of sin. I can see the argument of eating meat being a sin though, I don't necessarily agree but I could cede that the arguments are quite solid.

I do love cucumber sandwiches and watercress sandwiches - with the crusts cut off of course and I have never been known to turn down a scone with clotted cream and fresh strawberry jam and I do drink a lot of tea but really what the hell is it with fundies and all the costume-y tea parties?

Do these women do anything other than put on cheap hats and drink tea?

Almost verbatim, this was my try first though.Just replace "cheap" with "period-incorrect" and "women" with "idiots."

Making stuff and visiting nursing homes is what the Girl Scouts do, and they're against the Girl Scouts.

I think VF is a giant cover and scam for an organization that just likes to have lots of overpriced parties. There is nothing Christian about what they do. They ignore the poor, and even those who are middle-class would struggle to attend most of these events. Sure, a costume party here and there is fine, but how many have they had? This year alone? And how much of it has focused on anyone who wasn't first class or perceived to be having gay ol' fun time on the beaches of Normandy?

Archived