IGNORED

TN Passed Gateway To Sex Law

Visionoyahweh

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... l-activity

Gov. Bill Haslam's office Friday confirmed to Reuters that Haslam had signed the bill, which stirred up controversy nationwide and even was lampooned by comedian Stephen Colbert.

"Kissing and hugging are the last stop before reaching Groin Central Station, so it's important to ban all the things that lead to the things that lead to sex," he said on the "Colbert Report" television show.

I know it was discussed on FJ, but now the bill has been passed. The Bates are probably happy.

Oh for fuck's sake, really? If high schoolers can't kiss or even hug, what the hell can they do? Hand-holding get's boring after a while.

a focus on abstinence is needed because Tennessee has the seventh-highest teen birth rate in the nation and the 11th-highest HIV infection rate in the nation.

And maybe that's why they should be able to explain to kids some sexual activities that aren't intercourse? WTF?!

Not that they really need explanation, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Hey they should come over where I live where both teen pregnancy and HIV are super super rare, see how easily things work when you have availability to and frank discussion about condoms and birth control, as well as high levels of education and low levels of (strict) religion.

Please, please, please don't let this spill over into neighboring AL. Of all the issues facing the U.S. and states individually this one shouldn't even belong on the list.

EDITED to add don't

And maybe that's why they should be able to explain to kids some sexual activities that aren't intercourse? WTF?!

Um, how about they get taught about contraception and STD prevention, instead?

boy this will stop kids from having sex. I mean now they won't know anything about it. All they are doing is creating more teenage mothers. but I guess they can afford to pay for all those babies this will not prevent.

Waaaiiit, there are schools where teachers explain this stuff? My school taught us about condoms, but I thought I invented the rest (like the idea of blow jobs and threesomes) because I was told jack shit about anything other than kissing, boob-groping, and intercourse. Honestly I might have waited longer if I knew I wasn't weird for thinking about stuff in between boob-grope and full-blown sex, might have suggested something else to my boyfriend.

Um, how about they get taught about contraception and STD prevention, instead?

Well, yeah. But that's already not allowed.

Well, yeah. But that's already not allowed.

Right, so it would be super appropriate for a teacher to explain the mechanics of masturbation or oral sex, then. Schools should be focusing on education and prevention of the unwanted consequences, not giving how-to lessons.

I swear it's like our state legislature is in a race with the Mississippi state legislature to see who can set us back the furthest the fastest.

Right, so it would be super appropriate for a teacher to explain the mechanics of masturbation or oral sex, then. Schools should be focusing on education and prevention of the unwanted consequences, not giving how-to lessons.

I don't think it's a how-to lesson to remind kids that masturbation is okay and that they can still give their partner pleasure without putting themselves at risk. It's focussing on education and prevention. You don't have to go into detail.

On Thursday, State Rep. Jon Lundberg told NBC station WCYB-TV that a focus on abstinence is needed because Tennessee has the seventh-highest teen birth rate in the nation and the 11th-highest HIV infection rate in the nation

So Rep. Jon Lundberg would like to make Tennessee #1 in both?

Isn't abstinence only education a misnomer? It seems to me that this is the very definition of withholding education. I fail to understand this continued persistence of Conservatives in attempting to limit the tools of the citizenry/workforce as a plan for America's future.

I don't think it's a how-to lesson to remind kids that masturbation is okay and that they can still give their partner pleasure without putting themselves at risk. It's focussing on education and prevention. You don't have to go into detail.

That's all well and good, but it's not what you originally said. If that's what you meant, you would have said:

And maybe that's why they should be able to explain to kids that some sexual activities that aren't intercourse.

My only point is that sex ed should be about giving students the tools to make wise choices about their own bodies and intimate encounters with romantic partners. Except for maybe in very clinical terms in the early years of sex ed (middle school age), it shouldn't be focused on "this is how you do x to your partner".

How can children be taught to make good choices if they do not know what the choices are?

Yes, we do need to protect our kids from the 'world', but only as we prepare them to enter it. This preparation involves talking about it, reading about it, gradually being allowed to participate in it. Kids should be taught about the facts of human sexuality and also taught the consequences. There are risks and consequences of non-intercourse sexual contacts as well. This also needs to be explained. I also think that abstinence should be examined as a valid life decision. It too, has consequences.

Without information, there are no informed decisions. Decisions made without information last a lifetime. As a nation that considers itself a leader among nations, we need to value our young people as the decision makers of the future.

Screw all that! I say we teach masterbation in schools, we give out free lube and vibes, we teach kids that their gentials are great things, maybe even some anatomy since it seems a insane number of people are so very, very confused about what all is "down there". I think we point out it is fantastic, it's great and all that. Why? Cause it is really hard to get into too much trouble if your so busy pleasuring your self! Hell, I bet most people would find kids loosing their virginities way later, if they get the hormone rushes out at home, they won't rush things. Trust me, my circle of friends seemed to prove the theory I think.

Why, America can't you just let it go? Why can't you see we are failing kids and our selves by treating kids as if they are idiots. They aren't they just need some REAL information. I know many are sick of hearing it, but look at the other countries, not only are many laughing at you America, but they are getting better results, by teaching kids, and having open discussions about sex. Oh, at least I have Colbert to help my tears.

How can children be taught to make good choices if they do not know what the choices are?

Because fundies only believe in two choices - the right choice and wrong choice. There is no such thing as multiple choice.

Screw all that! I say we teach masterbation in schools, we give out free lube and vibes, we teach kids that their gentials are great things, maybe even some anatomy since it seems a insane number of people are so very, very confused about what all is "down there". I think we point out it is fantastic, it's great and all that. Why? Cause it is really hard to get into too much trouble if your so busy pleasuring your self! Hell, I bet most people would find kids loosing their virginities way later, if they get the hormone rushes out at home, they won't rush things. Trust me, my circle of friends seemed to prove the theory I think.

Because it's the role of a public school educator to present things in a matter-of-fact and unbiased way? Because some people won't think masturbation is all that great, even after they try it, and then they'll think something is wrong with them (like my freshman year roommate)?

I'm assuming the first part of your rant is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it just blows my mind what some people think the role of a public school educator is. Parents should try talking to their fucking kids, instead, and stop being pissed off when your public school education isn't being presented exactly as they think it should.

That's all well and good, but it's not what you originally said. If that's what you meant, you would have said:

And maybe that's why they should be able to explain to kids that some sexual activities that aren't intercourse.

My only point is that sex ed should be about giving students the tools to make wise choices about their own bodies and intimate encounters with romantic partners. Except for maybe in very clinical terms in the early years of sex ed (middle school age), it shouldn't be focused on "this is how you do x to your partner".

It did sound a bit odd with the phrasing, sorry my fault. Sadly some kids don't even know simple things and they think masturbation will damage you and oral sex can make you pregnant. It doesn't matter anyway, I think they should have full education about birth control and condoms, if they don't get that then it's pretty much doomed anyway no matter what other silly laws they make.

Waaaiiit, there are schools where teachers explain this stuff? My school taught us about condoms, but I thought I invented the rest (like the idea of blow jobs and threesomes) because I was told jack shit about anything other than kissing, boob-groping, and intercourse. Honestly I might have waited longer if I knew I wasn't weird for thinking about stuff in between boob-grope and full-blown sex, might have suggested something else to my boyfriend.

Well that is the funny thing, Tennessee is an abstinence only state, so no, they never talked about these things.

I swear it's like our state legislature is in a race with the Mississippi state legislature to see who can set us back the furthest the fastest.

Just wanted to say I am glad you are posting.

Because it's the role of a public school educator to present things in a matter-of-fact and unbiased way? Because some people won't think masturbation is all that great, even after they try it, and then they'll think something is wrong with them (like my freshman year roommate)?

I'm assuming the first part of your rant is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it just blows my mind what some people think the role of a public school educator is. Parents should try talking to their fucking kids, instead, and stop being pissed off when your public school education isn't being presented exactly as they think it should.

Except let me assure you to sex Ed is totally, totally fucked. For example the 6th grade curriiculum in my son's district (one of the largest in tn) has a game where they throw a paper ball around and rip off a piece of paper and at the end they find out they all have HIV. Because a game that effectively simulates an orgy between a teacher, and 6th graders make sense.

I could not agree more with this statement. Speaking as an adult that had sex "education" in public school here in the great state of TN, I can tell you that this information is sorely lacking.

I think it would be a great thing if our educators could also inform students of other practices that aren't penetrative sex, and how to protect yourself and your partner during those acts.

Because this practice of saying "don't have sex until you get married and want to have babies or you are a bad and promiscuous person that will contract a host of diseases reserved only for those sluts who have a lot of sex" is clearly working for us so well here in TN.

In my city, there are entire zip codes that have infant mortality rates higher than some third world countries. A high school here (that has an academic program for pregnant teens) made national news last year, because there were 90+ pregnant girls in attendance.

Babies are having babies, and the lack of education and the amount of shame and judgment that we have placed on sex here is going to ensure that that statistic never improves. We absolutely MUST do better by our children, and this new law? This ain't it.

Archived