IGNORED

Security Cameras in the Duggar Compound?

Dhani_C

Someone mentioned on TWOP that the Duggars have security cameras installed in their home and my reaction was pretty much :shock: . Is this really true? If so, that's truly sick. It's one thing if you have family rules like keeping your door open if someone of the opposite sex is in there with you (pre-teens and teens, obvi) or checking a teen's cell phone on occasion (especially if you paid for it) in case you suspect they are sending dirty texts or being harassed, but spy cameras are an extreme that I cannot imagine imposing on my future children. It just seems icky.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bateses admit that they do have cameras in their house, so I am not surprised that the Duggars do the same thing.

I can understand having a security camera looking out by the front gate (since they are semi-well known and people might try to get to their house), but there is NO reason for the cameras in the house. Seriously, Jim Bob even admit ted he owns a gun just in case. Watching your children 24/7 will not turn them into "G-dly" people--it will turn them into paranoid robots who do what you say out of sheer terror of the consequences. Children need time alone to make mistakes. If they can't make mistakes how in the hell are they supposed to learn what to do and what not to do? Obviously, parents should try to keep children from making dangerous mistakes, but children learn best from the natural consequences of their actions (e.g. getting a stomach ache from eating all the candy in the house). The cameras also breed an atmosphere of self-doubt. How can you learn to trust your own judgment when everyone around you doesn't seem to trust it? The lack of trust is really just appalling.

I remember when I started high school my parents sat me down for a talk. They told me about parties and drinking etc, and told me that they trusted my judgement but that they still created rules to keep me safe. I had friends whose parents wouldn't let them go out of the house unsupervised. Guess who ended up sneaking out and partying hard? They did. Guess who partied every once in a while but didn't have a need to party? me. When your parents trust you, you learn to trust yourself. Also, people always want what they cannot have, If you ban things, kids just want them more.

Sorry for the long and rambling rant, but I'm tired and this crap annoys the shit outta me.

I can understand having a security camera looking out by the front gate (since they are semi-well known and people might try to get to their house), but there is NO reason for the cameras in the house. Seriously, Jim Bob even admit ted he owns a gun just in case. Watching your children 24/7 will not turn them into "G-dly" people--it will turn them into paranoid robots who do what you say out of sheer terror of the consequences. Children need time alone to make mistakes. If they can't make mistakes how in the hell are they supposed to learn what to do and what not to do? Obviously, parents should try to keep children from making dangerous mistakes, but children learn best from the natural consequences of their actions (e.g. getting a stomach ache from eating all the candy in the house). The cameras also breed an atmosphere of self-doubt. How can you learn to trust your own judgment when everyone around you doesn't seem to trust it? The lack of trust is really just appalling.

I remember when I started high school my parents sat me down for a talk. They told me about parties and drinking etc, and told me that they trusted my judgement but that they still created rules to keep me safe. I had friends whose parents wouldn't let them go out of the house unsupervised. Guess who ended up sneaking out and partying hard? They did. Guess who partied every once in a while but didn't have a need to party? me. When your parents trust you, you learn to trust yourself. Also, people always want what they cannot have, If you ban things, kids just want them more.

Sorry for the long and rambling rant, but I'm tired and this crap annoys the shit outta me.

I couldn't agree with you more, especially the part about trust being a mutual agreement. It's supposed to be a family home, not the Big Brother house. You can't even pick your nose or, forbid a Duggar would do this, have a little dance when you're on your own without having prying eyes watching 24/7.

I feel this way too. Parents need to lay out rules and expectations and trust that their children will follow them. How can you say you trust your kids if you don't let them go anywhere alone? My dad may tell me to be safe when I'm driving to the Wal-Mart to pick something up but he certainly doesn't tag along or send a sibling with me.

This happened to a fundie lite classmate of mine. She couldn't do anything, her parents even put bars on her bedroom window the moment she started showing a bit of resistance. Needless to say, she was completely wild - started smoking, partied and had sex whenever the chance presented itself. Oh, and her family had surveillance cameras around their house, too. She found out the day she snuck a piece of candy out of the family stash and her dad questioned her about it that evening.

I cannot believe that I'm about to defend the Duggars. As creepy as I find the security cameras in the house, I also remember an incident a while back (maybe about a year ago?) where they invited a guest into the house and that person stole items from them (I think it was Jinger or Jessa's diary? which was then posted on the internet). So I can see having the cameras in the house for actual security reasons, particularly given how much they've been gone lately.

I cannot believe that I'm about to defend the Duggars. As creepy as I find the security cameras in the house, I also remember an incident a while back (maybe about a year ago?) where they invited a guest into the house and that person stole items from them (I think it was Jinger or Jessa's diary? which was then posted on the internet). So I can see having the cameras in the house for actual security reasons, particularly given how much they've been gone lately.

Sounds good, but that wasn't the intent that Juterus spoke to when she did the house tour.

Guest Anonymous
This happened to a fundie lite classmate of mine. She couldn't do anything, her parents even put bars on her bedroom window the moment she started showing a bit of resistance. Needless to say, she was completely wild - started smoking, partied and had sex whenever the chance presented itself. Oh, and her family had surveillance cameras around their house, too. She found out the day she snuck a piece of candy out of the family stash and her dad questioned her about it that evening.

Holy crap. It's not often I feel grateful about my own fundie-esque upbringing, but at least there were no cameras in the house and I could eat a piece of candy without undergoing an interrogation. :shock:

Whoa whoa whoa... One of the girls had their diary stolen? What kind of shitty person would do that?

Guest Anonymous
Whoa whoa whoa... One of the girls had their diary stolen? What kind of shitty person would do that?

A nut named Amanda that lusted after Josh and tried to sell Jinger's boring diary on ebay for $10,000. That girl was weird! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

A nut named Amanda that lusted after Josh and tried to sell Jinger's boring diary on ebay for $10,000. That girl was weird! :roll:

This happened about 4 years ago.

I can sort understand the need for cameras in the house after the diary incident. But I think Boob and Mulllet also use those cameras to spy on their kids.

Ooooh yeah. I do sort of remember that now! *shakes head* it's still a messed up thing to have done!

I can sort understand the need for cameras in the house after the diary incident. But I think Boob and Mulllet also use those cameras to spy on their kids.

yes they do there is a camera in the boys room but not the girls. can't have jimbob seeing anything of course.

I believe they have security cameras, but it was the Bates who commented on how nice it was to be able to see where everyone was. The Bates have a similar system. The Duggars also have an intercom system.

yes they do there is a camera in the boys room but not the girls. can't have jimbob seeing anything of course.

Boob and Mullet don't want the boys flogging their bishops.

Guest Anonymous
Someone mentioned on TWOP that the Duggars have security cameras installed in their home and my reaction was pretty much :shock: . Is this really true? If so, that's truly sick. It's one thing if you have family rules like keeping your door open if someone of the opposite sex is in there with you (pre-teens and teens, obvi) or checking a teen's cell phone on occasion (especially if you paid for it) in case you suspect they are sending dirty texts or being harassed, but spy cameras are an extreme that I cannot imagine imposing on my future children. It just seems icky.

Well the Bates actually showed this in an interview - that they have this in their own home :roll: . They have a TV in the living room, but it's not a TV it's a security camera for around the house, including a narrow passageway down the side of the house, bedrooms etc. It's pretty shocking.

Well the Bates actually showed this in an interview - that they have this in their own home :roll: . They have a TV in the living room, but it's not a TV it's a security camera for around the house, including a narrow passageway down the side of the house, bedrooms etc. It's pretty shocking.

It all sounds so voyeuristic. How would you feel as a guest? I'm never coming to visit, that's for sure! What if they watch you while you're sleeping? Creepy. :x

Archived