IGNORED

Kirk Cameron Article on CNN

Noon

I wonder what film reel of nutty this guy is going to come up with next? A daring exploration of how the founding fathers REALLY meant to make the church of the holy basement the Nation's supreme religion, but totally got distracted at the late minute by those defrauding 18th century corsets?

Fortunately, articles like these where he gets to speak in his own words do a great job of clearly showing what an idiot he is. Maybe it'll warn a few people off his new film.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/1 ... -activist/

(I checked a few pages back and didn't see a thread on Cameron's new film...if there is one I missed, just let me know. I'll delete this and re-paste it as a reply :D )

That launched me on this journey to retrace the Pilgrims and find the sacred sauce.â€

:lol:

The Puritans would not have accepted Cameron or Ray Comfort into their midst. The book A History of the American People is very proAmerican but even it has some negative accounts of the Puritans.

In July 1641, for instance, Dr John Clarke and Obediah Homes, both from Rhode Island, were arrested in Lynn by the sheriff for holding an unauthorized religious meeting in a private house, at which the practice of infant baptism was condemned. Clarke was imprisoned; Homes was whipped through the streets. Again, on October 27, 1659, three Quakers, William Robinson, Marmaduke Stevenson and Mary Dryer, having been repeatedly expelled from the colony, the last time under penalty of death, were arrested again as pestilential and disruptive and sentence to be hanged on Boston Common.

Comfort and Cameron do not want religous freedom. America is already a pretty damned religious country. They want Christianity forced on people. They want to live in a world in which they barely have to acknowledge that other faiths and atheists exist.

I like that CNN mentioned the facts against Barton. I find people like him who are willing to invent history to stroke Christian egos very scary. There are people who want to believe him and will not look at anything that counters their mythology. These people vote and homeschool their children.

He said he found that the “Thompson Hot Press Bible†was not funded in total by 12 Founders. Instead, he said, the Bible was funded by a subscription base of 1,200 customers that included 12 Founding Fathers. “The printers funded that Bible, the Founders didn’t fund it. It was a business venture for them.â€

As for the quote Barton attributed to Congress about putting the Bible in schools, it actually came from Robert Aitken’s petition to Congress. Aitken was a colonial printer. The Journals of Congress from 1782 shows Aitken completed the Bible on his own and sought the blessing of Congress.

The record shows a report from two congressional chaplains who examined the work, which they praised.

Congress passed a resolution to recommend “this edition of the Bible to the inhabitants of the United States and hereby authorize him to publish this recommendation in the manner he shall think proper.†That resolution did not mention it being put in schools

Why the fuck is this guy still relevant? He annoyed me in the 80s and he annoys me even more now.

The Puritans would not have accepted Cameron or Ray Comfort into their midst. The book A History of the American People is very proAmerican but even it has some negative accounts of the Puritans.

Comfort and Cameron do not want religous freedom. America is already a pretty damned religious country. They want Christianity forced on people. They want to live in a world in which they barely have to acknowledge that other faiths and atheists exist.

I agree with this. Comfort and Cameron aren't completely satisfied with America. They hate the fact that not all Americans are Christians. They are a lot of people like them who can't accept atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Jews, and other non-Christians live here.

I agree with this. Comfort and Cameron aren't completely satisfied with America. They hate the fact that not all Americans are Christians. They are a lot of people like them who can't accept atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Jews, and other non-Christians live here.

And always have. Not to mention, a bunch of the Founding Fathers were heavily influenced by Enlightenment ideals, which included questioning religion and having a secular government.

There were Muslims and Jews living in the colonies, many Jews fled the South before and during the Civil War, and a lot of other non-Christians have been immigrating here throughout US history. Oh, and you have to consider the religions the Native peoples followed before the Europeans arrived and wiped them out. Hell, a lot of religious movements have gotten started here, or have flourished here after coming from a different country.

And always have. Not to mention, a bunch of the Founding Fathers were heavily influenced by Enlightenment ideals, which included questioning religion and having a secular government.

There were Muslims and Jews living in the colonies, many Jews fled the South before and during the Civil War, and a lot of other non-Christians have been immigrating here throughout US history. Oh, and you have to consider the religions the Native peoples followed before the Europeans arrived and wiped them out. Hell, a lot of religious movements have gotten started here, or have flourished here after coming from a different country.

That is so true. But some people still ignore those facts. A couple of years back, I dealt with several Islamaphobes on another message board and I once brought up the fact Muslims lived in the colonies and there were also Muslims that came with Spanish Conqusistadors to the Southwest. The Islamaphobes ignored that.

Sadly, there are always going to be people who believe that Christianity should rule the US.

Kirk Cameron is an idiot and anyone that actually listens to anything he says is an even bigger idiot. All you have to do is just a little research to find out his whole version of history is made up crap. If he's trying to win souls, lying is not the way to go. It typically just pisses people off.

And not just any old Christianity either, they want their brand of True Christianityâ„¢ to be the only one as obviously anyone else is just a false convert. You seen the shitstorm going on over there right now with that other pastor? It was enough to break out the popcorn!

Archived