IGNORED

Christian Groups Take Issue With Anti-Bullying Laws

doggie

Religion is not supposed to be wielded as a weapon and used as a way to legitimize hurting other people. Stuff like this makes me so fucking mad that I can't breathe when I think/read/hear about it.

that was what really got me and why I posted. but it is often used that way. People forget Christians are human before anything else.

I'm all for anti-bullying legislation as long as it encompasses all groups and not just LGBT. By putting the focus on one group you just send the bullies to another

This.

Other than that, Jesus must be up in heaven weeping that anyone anywhere could think it somehow Christian to bully or be okay with the bullying of anyone anywhere for any reason.

One time my sister was teased for her underwear in the locker room, and the school social worker told my mom, "You know, Victoria's Secret isn't that expensive." Yeah, missing the point just a bit there . . .

Man, that one hits close to home for my BVD-wearing self... yeah wtf?

I am SO eternally glad to not be in school anymore. In the adult working world (of behind-the-scenes tech arenas anyway) no one cares if I essentially "crossdress" (down to the undies!) every day. I am very happy for that.

...and yet angry that people are still being teased for what underwear they want to wear. If it's clean, just shut up already.

We're living this right now in our family and it really, really sucks. My son's straight but happens to be over weight and over tall for his age. Makes him a prime target. Thankfully the school is listening and taking action.

I know how your son feels (I was always the tallest and biggest by default in my class too) and I'm glad the school is listening and doing something about it.

Religion is not supposed to be wielded as a weapon and used as a way to legitimize hurting other people. Stuff like this makes me so fucking mad that I can't breathe when I think/read/hear about it.

I completely agree. My mom always told me growing up that every person we meet most likely has some sort of sorrow within them that we can't see outwardly, so we need to do our best to uplift anyone that comes across our path regardless of their beliefs, race, orientation, ect. And it really makes me mad when any Christian group says that gay people are going to hell. Personally, that is not for them to decide (or anyone) and I'm sure these groups who believe they are justified in harassing these people would be the first to plead for the mercy they would not give.

I'm okay with this group wanting the ability to bully*, BUT as Jew I want to be able to practice Old Testment justice on them, which means I am going to have a delightful time if one of them so much as raises a finger to work on Sunday, which includes lighting a fire (turning on the oven, riding in a car, etc.). I get to kill them according to my religion!!! So excited for the whole "eye for an eye" concept to take hold. YAY!!!!!

*BTW, that was snark, I'm so fucking mad at this stance that my blood pressure went through the roof. It is groups like this that make me so thankful that I walked away from being a Christian and I'm pissed that the middle-of-road and liberal Christians I know are not standing up the fundie crazy-cray.

I'm okay with this group wanting the ability to bully*, BUT as Jew I want to be able to practice Old Testment justice on them, which means I am going to have a delightful time if one of them so much as raises a finger to work on Sunday, which includes lighting a fire (turning on the oven, riding in a car, etc.). I get to kill them according to my religion!!! So excited for the whole "eye for an eye" concept to take hold. YAY!!!!!

*BTW, that was snark, I'm so fucking mad at this stance that my blood pressure went through the roof. It is groups like this that make me so thankful that I walked away from being a Christian and I'm pissed that the middle-of-road and liberal Christians I know are not standing up the fundie crazy-cray.

I think it would be best for your health and our sanity that you turn off your computer and maybe get some help.

I completely agree. My mom always told me growing up that every person we meet most likely has some sort of sorrow within them that we can't see outwardly, so we need to do our best to uplift anyone that comes across our path regardless of their beliefs, race, orientation, ect. And it really makes me mad when any Christian group says that gay people are going to hell. Personally, that is not for them to decide (or anyone) and I'm sure these groups who believe they are justified in harassing these people would be the first to plead for the mercy they would not give.

That, and the fact that what right does anyone have to call someone else a fag or a fatty or a freak or whatever else? If I am morally opposed to people being overweight (which I'm not), that does not immediately bestow me with the right to go up to that person and call them names and make them feel less than human because I don't like the way they look.

For those of you with children, particularly small ones, how much time did you devote to teaching them something like, "No, we don't hit other people, that's not nice"? And then they get to middle school or high school and slam someone else's head into a locker and it's, "Well, boys will be boys!" or "kids these days are so cruel." I'm not saying that anyone here has kids that do that, but it's the idea behind the thing.

Like, okay, so you're a Christian and you don't agree with homosexuality, whatever that means. Just be nice to people. Why is that so hard?

I think it would be best for your health and our sanity that you turn off your computer and maybe get some help.

This.

Like, okay, so you're a Christian and you don't agree with homosexuality, whatever that means. Just be nice to people. Why is that so hard?

Exactly. This "tolerance" that they treat like a dirty word? That is the bare minimum of acceptable behavior, really. What I'd like to see is people and their differences being genuinely embraced, but that's obviously one too far for these pieces of work.

The bible also condones slavery, racism, and stoning people to death..... But Christians haven't been able to get away with that in terms of legislature or legal policy. This is no different. You can keep your bible in your house and you can scream into your pillow about the ebil homosexuals but once you leave your house, your religion has no power. You can't use a personal conviction to bypass common courtesy.

Archived