IGNORED

Pregnant Woman Arrested For Falling Down

muffynbear

http://news.change.org/stories/pregnant ... lling-down

Life can't get much worse for Christine Taylor. Last month, after an upsetting phone conversation with her estranged husband, Ms. Taylor became light-headed and fell down a flight of stairs in her home. Paramedics rushed to the scene and ultimately declared her healthy. However, since she was pregnant with her third child at the time, Taylor thought it would be best to be seen at the local ER to make sure her fetus was unharmed.

That's when things got really bad and really crazy. Alone, distraught, and frightened, Taylor confided in the nurse treating her that she hadn't always been sure she'd wanted this baby, now that she was single and unemployed. She'd considered both adoption and abortion before ultimately deciding to keep the child. The nurse then summoned a doctor, who questioned her further about her thoughts on ending the pregnancy. Next thing Taylor knew, she was being arrested for attempted feticide. Apparently the nurse and doctor thought that Taylor threw herself down the stairs on purpose.

Now, isn't this a violation of HIPPA? She confided in the nurse and then gets arrested. You bet I would be suing the hospital.

What in the ever living fuck is this shit?

What is going on in the US? It just seems to be getting more and more crazy there.

Here is another article on her:

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2010 ... s-feticide

The National Advocates for Pregnant Women has taken on her case and advocates from around the country have rallied to assist Taylor as she works to put her life back together for herself, her two daughters and, soon, a new baby.

Led by the efforts of Monica Brasile, Certified Childbirth Educator and Doula, and a leader in the midwifery community in Iowa, the web site Help Christine Taylor has been set up to accept donations for Christine Taylor and her family. From the site:

Christine is under an enormous amount of stress, with no real support network. Her apartment was robbed shortly after she was released from jail, and her tax return was stolen. That money was to go directly toward housing, transportation, child care, and other necessary expenses associated with the birth of her third child.

http://news.change.org/stories/pregnant-iowa-woman-arrested-for-falling-down

Now, isn't this a violation of HIPPA? She confided in the nurse and then gets arrested. You bet I would be suing the hospital.

Not that I agree with what was done here in any way, shape, or form, but it isn't a HIPPA violation if the health care team believes a crime has taken place.

Wow. That's just wtf?

I thought maybe it was going to end with them unsure of her mental state and giving her a 72-hour hold (fearing she'd harm herself "again"), or something, but arrest??

We'll soon have laws requiring pregnant women to be strapped to a bed for the full 9 months, just to be sure!

Wow, wtf??? This story is just heartbreaking, scary to know this is going on in the US!

Holy crap! I bet most women who break up with their SO while pregnant question if they should keep the pregnancy, how they will handle being pregnant alone, mothering another child alone. Those are normal thoughts.

I am afraid by the time my daughter is old enough to be a mother all her rights will disappear the second she pees on the stick.

Yet again I wonder why people are so shocked so many distrust doctors\nurses. This is why.

Just fyi for those that haven't read the dates on the articles, the story is 2 years old. Still disturbing, but I just wanted to point that out.

Well, Florida's already working on that. :evil:

I'm in FL and vaguely remember this case. Horrible. I can't believe they wouldn't let her get a second opinion (read: non-crazy doctor). Isn't that a breech of medical ethics?

Holy crap! I bet most women who break up with their SO while pregnant question if they should keep the pregnancy, how they will handle being pregnant alone, mothering another child alone. Those are normal thoughts.

I am afraid by the time my daughter is old enough to be a mother all her rights will disappear the second she pees on the stick.

Yet again I wonder why people are so shocked so many distrust doctors\nurses. This is why.

Personhood from conception = they'll disappear the second she ovulates.

Romania under Ceaucescu. That's where some people would take us. No Thanks.

You know how I keep writing about how I felt this "irrational" guilt after my first miscarriage and this fear that I would somehow be blamed for a loss that I had no control over?

Well, maybe I wasn't so irrational after all. I'm totally appalled that a woman would actually be arrested for something like this.

Romania under Ceaucescu. That's where some people would take us. No Thanks.

I agree, but learning from history is not something these people are doing. A month or two ago Santorum was discussing his concerns about women in combat, despite the fact that these things were discussed during the first Gulf War and the men and women who have fought since have proved that Santorum's predictions about men protecting the women untrue. Just because you and I can see what happened to Romania under Ceaucescu and the aftermath (those unwanted children are still there and have grown into unwanted beggars, thieves, and glue huffers) doesn't mean the fundies don't want to try the same thing in the US expecting different results.

I've never asked a forced birther their opinion of Romania's repopulation policy, but I have a feeling the fact that Ceaucescu was communist (and therefore without God) while the forced birthers are Christian will make all the difference.

I've been wondering for a while why no one seems to make the connection between what is happening to reproductive rights in the States and Romania under Ceaucescu.

If not like it was that long ago.

I've been wondering for a while why no one seems to make the connection between what is happening to reproductive rights in the States and Romania under Ceaucescu.

If not like it was that long ago.

Exactly. It just shows how accurate that quote about those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. I hate to think that there are some men who saw Romania under Ceaucescu as a how-to manual in removing women's rights. I'm scared for my 4 year old niece whose rights will disappear when she hits menarche, since any female who bleeds is a potential breeder.

Exactly. It just shows how accurate that quote about those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. I hate to think that there are some men who saw Romania under Ceaucescu as a how-to manual in removing women's rights. I'm scared for my 4 year old niece whose rights will disappear when she hits menarche, since any female who bleeds is a potential breeder.

I think we should all be talking about Romania under Ceaucescu a lot more. People think it couldn't happen in this day and age. Romania under Ceaucescu wasn't that long ago.

There is a really good summary of Ceaucescu's Decree 770 here: http://countrystudies.us/romania/37.htm. This is where the US is headed, and in some respects we're already there.

Monthly gynecological examinations for all women of childbearing age were instituted, even for pubescent girls, to identify pregnancies in the earliest stages and to monitor pregnant women to ensure that their pregnancies came to term. Miscarriages were to be investigated and illegal abortions prosecuted, resulting in prison terms of one year for the women concerned and up to five years for doctors and other medical personnel performing the procedure. Doctors and nurses involved in gynecology came under increasing pressure, especially after 1985, when "demographic command units" were set up to ensure that all women were gynecologically examined at their place of work. These units not only monitored pregnancies and ensured deliveries but also investigated childless women and couples, asked detailed questions about their sex lives and the general health of their reproductive systems, and recommended treatment for infertility.

There is a documentary called "Children of the Decree" that discusses this, if anyone is interested.

There is a really good summary of Ceaucescu's Decree 770 here: http://countrystudies.us/romania/37.htm. This is where the US is headed, and in some respects we're already there.

There is a documentary called "Children of the Decree" that discusses this, if anyone is interested.

This could be the only thing that saves us from a future Romania - no politican is going to want to spend tax dollars to set up government gyno offices and creating/maintaining the national pregnancy database. :D

Archived