IGNORED

Never too young to get started on the big hair

Elle

Ah big hair in the 1980's; oh how I remember thee :lol: I am 'blessed' with curly hair so I was in my element with big hair and lots of hairspray! Like Genie I was rocking Bon Jovi with the best of them! For my shame I also rocked Stryper as I wasn't quite the out and out atheist that I am now....

I like the dress on the little girl, not quite sure of the crucifixes though :shock: I mean seriously, if you think about it, you are putting the symbol on a dress, a symbol which represents the agonising, slow, torturous death of someone. Inappropriate much?

Like others here have said, Latraviata's smockings are the best. I would love to have her skills; I can do pretty much anything with fabric but the ability to smock has passed me by.

Thank you!! Smocking is not as difficult as you think it is.

This smocked dress is relatively cheap, but the smocking is minimal and it isn't assembled properly and I think she used a very cheap polycotton.

Here is the deal Sola, I smock and you assemble??

The little girl is adorable and I am not sure about the hair it reminds a little bit of 'Toddlers and tiaras'.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!! Smocking is not as difficult as you think it is.

This smocked dress is relatively cheap, but the smocking is minimal and it isn't assembled properly and I think she used a very cheap polycotton.

Here is the deal Sola, I smock and you assemble??

The little girl is adorable and I am not sure about the hair it reminds a little bit of 'Toddlers and tiaras'.

Deal! FJ approved clothing for little girls then!

Deal! FJ approved clothing for little girls then!

Fine, it is a pity you live in the UK! I think we should make a brilliant team! How is your Janome doing??

Just had a look at the close up pictures and Latraviata is right. It does look like polycotton, it doesn't have that pristine crisp whiteness that cotton has. The seams are puckered; a sign of bad tension and needle choice on fine fabric. I don't know what the hell is going on with the neck binding. If it was proper bias binding it should lie smoothly but it doesn't on those dresses. Plus it looks like the embroidery has been done post assembly as on one of the dresses she has run off into the sleeve by a few stitches. If I paid for those dresses I would be disappointed.

Fine, it is a pity you live in the UK! I think we should make a brilliant team! How is your Janome doing??

It's going great. I managed to finish the playsuit, then since then I've done some refashioning; made a pair of shorts out of a dress that my daughter had grown out of and used some off cuts I had to make her a new doll dress. I love the automatic backtack feature. I haven't yet tried any button holes on it but they should be similar to how they were done on my old machine.

It's going great. I managed to finish the playsuit, then since then I've done some refashioning; made a pair of shorts out of a dress that my daughter had grown out of and used some off cuts I had to make her a new doll dress. I love the automatic backtack feature. I haven't yet tried any button holes on it but they should be similar to how they were done on my old machine.

I started smocking after my husband died 6 yaers ago and it turned out be a great grief therapy.

After my younger son died 2 years ago I continued smocking, which I learned from the nuns at convent school and I retrained myself by the internet.

The fraternity friends of my older son (33) are getting married and having babies, so for the girls I make a smocked dress, which was not very nice towards the baby boys. So I started a new line for little boys (no smocking) and gave it my pet name for my younger son, 'Chribbeltje' the theme is little owls because Chribbeltje loved owls in particular Harry Potter's owl Hedwig.

Here is the unbroken link, obviously is is in Dutch.

I used to sew all the clothes for my boys and I think this is a perfect way to commemorate my son.

http://chribbeltje.nl/

I love smocked dresses! I can't even sew a straight line so I think my chances of learning to smock are pretty slim. But do so love them. I still have some of the smocked dresses that my grandma made for me. I let my daughters wear them on special occasions.

I started smocking after my husband died 6 yaers ago and it turned out be a great grief therapy.

After my younger son died 2 years ago I continued smocking, which I learned from the nuns at convent school and I retrained myself by the internet.

The fraternity friends of my older son (33) are getting married and having babies, so for the girls I make a smocked dress, which was not very nice towards the baby boys. So I started a new line for little boys (no smocking) and gave it my pet name for my younger son, 'Chribbeltje' the theme is little owls because Chribbeltje loved owls in particular Harry Potter's owl Hedwig.

Here is the unbroken link, obviously is is in Dutch.

I used to sew all the clothes for my boys and I think this is a perfect way to commemorate my son.

http://chribbeltje.nl/

They're cute!

Where do you get your fabrics from? I get a lot of mine from Germany from http://www.myfabrics.co.uk/ It's a co.uk store but is actually in Germany. They have some lovely fabrics and their shipping is reasonable and quick fast.

They're cute!

Where do you get your fabrics from? I get a lot of mine from Germany from http://www.myfabrics.co.uk/ It's a co.uk store but is actually in Germany. They have some lovely fabrics and their shipping is reasonable and quick fast.

Yes the owl fabric in the red jumper is from this store. I get a lot of fabric from the USA and occasionally from the the Netherlands and the USA.

My absolute favourite is: http://www.farmhousefabrics.com/

The USA is good for fabric, IF you can get away with import taxes ;) If it is labelled as 'gift' or 'sample' as some sellers are willing to do, I don't get stung with import tax. If you do, then it ends up no cheaper. It really sucks because fabric is so much cheaper in the USA.

I'll check out that link, some of their prices are quite reasonable. Good quality fabric is enormously expensive here.

One thing I remember in the late 80's was those satelite bangs, but we would curl them so you resembled a Peanuts character. Naturally, the Aqua Net would be used so no matter what, the bangs stayed upright.

I do not remember the bangs standing up. At my school is was more curl the bangs under and tease everything else out as far and high as it could go. Ahhhh, the 80's were a special time for fashion. Seeing all that neon stuff in Target is bringing back memories too.

The USA is good for fabric, IF you can get away with import taxes ;) If it is labelled as 'gift' or 'sample' as some sellers are willing to do, I don't get stung with import tax. If you do, then it ends up no cheaper. It really sucks because fabric is so much cheaper in the USA.

I'll check out that link, some of their prices are quite reasonable. Good quality fabric is enormously expensive here.

I never have to pay any taxes. Usually they send fabric in a flat enveloppe and indeed, they label it as gift or sample.

This ebay seller is from the UK:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/FAVOURITE-FAB ... 4340.l2563

Also the covered owl fabric buttons on the PJ and red jumper is from the UK.

I never have to pay any taxes. Usually they send fabric in a flat enveloppe and indeed, they label it as gift or sample.

Latraviata, both your smocked dresses and the boys line is lovely. Maybe you could give Meredith some tips on how to make her baby boys outfit a little nicer? :dance:

Latraviata, both your smocked dresses and the boys line is lovely. Maybe you could give Meredith some tips on how to make her baby boys outfit a little nicer? :dance:

Thank you, sometimes my fingers are itching when I see Zsu's children, in particular the girls.

Nice braids or a short bob and well fitting smocked dress would do the trick don't you think??

I used to jokingly call those stand up bangs "bug screen hair." Never did it myself (but I've never been in fashion) but I remember sharing a bathroom with someone who was VERY stylish, and oh, the stickiness over EVERY surface, with some horrid peach smell! Cans and cans and CANS of the stuff... I have to wonder if her kids are laughing over pictures of that now!

Not the dress, but the hair makes me think "toddlers and tiaras" :)

the baby looks like she is swimming her dress, like she will trip, and like her "bling" is gonna make her fall over :-p

Oh you buy from Brenda! I've got fabric from FF a few times. The seller is lovely and her fabric is very good quality. The last lot I got from her last summer was some beautiful white 100% cotton fabric for my daughter's school blouses. It was perfect, nice a crisp but beautifully soft.

Not the dress, but the hair makes me think "toddlers and tiaras" :)

the baby looks like she is swimming her dress, like she will trip, and like her "bling" is gonna make her fall over :-p

Yes the hair, that is what I meant. Her dress is hideous and very poorly assembled. Who in his right mind embroiders little crucifixes on a dress, let alone a toddler's dress.

Oh you buy from Brenda! I've got fabric from FF a few times. The seller is lovely and her fabric is very good quality. The last lot I got from her last summer was some beautiful white 100% cotton fabric for my daughter's school blouses. It was perfect, nice a crisp but beautifully soft.

Well I buy the Dupion and other silk from my friend in India:

http://www.puresilks.us/

Beautiful colours, excellent quality, cheap and very swift in delivery.

Actually season 2 of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding premiered last night. It's like somebody put Toddlers & Tiaras, the Duggars, Say Yes to the Dress in a blender and came up with this hot mess of a show. I just can't take that show seriously.

I love this programme because I have a bit of a soft spot for gypsies and it really seems to have made people more aware of their culture. Funny thing is, there is a large gypsy population in my county and older people around here can remember when they wore long skirts and headscarves - so perhaps we're getting a preview of fundie fashion in a couple of generation's time!

Well I buy the Dupion and other silk from my friend in India:

http://www.puresilks.us/

Beautiful colours, excellent quality, cheap and very wift in delivery.

That's a new one for me. I buy silk from India too, the best place of silk I find. I usually buy from ebay sellers though.

I love this programme because I have a bit of a soft spot for gypsies and it really seems to have made people more aware of their culture. Funny thing is, there is a large gypsy population in my county and older people around here can remember when they wore long skirts and headscarves - so perhaps we're getting a preview of fundie fashion in a couple of generation's time!

Behold Mack's future.

Archived