IGNORED

ALERT: FJ registered email addresses on public view

Guest purposing

Maybe you (massively irresponsibly ) missed reading the admin's note on this thread- it's not something they are able to change with the forum template/software.

Every other phpBB forum administrator seems to be able to change it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And no way to unregister either. Ever.

Sooner or later, the forum owner is going to get herself into some expensive legal trouble.

Guest Anonymous
It is massively irresponsible of the forum owner to have default settings that make e-mail addresses public. I've never seen this on any other forum. Makes me wonder what her motivations are in running this forum, or if she's just plain incompetent. I used an anonymous address to register, because this forum seemed a bit sketchy -- apparently my instincts were right.

Yep. This is a terrible, terrible place. The forum owner has a cult dedicated to her, did you know that? Many posters here actually worship her dark magnificence. I suggest you get out while you can.

Sooner or later, the forum owner is going to get herself into some expensive legal trouble.

I don't see how the forum owner could get into any trouble. Really, this is something that we, as adult users, should have checked out for ourselves. It was my own laziness that made my email address available. I could have looked into that myself.

Yep. This is a terrible, terrible place. The forum owner has a cult dedicated to her, did you know that? Many posters here actually worship her dark magnificence. I suggest you get out while you can.

All hail the great Alecto. I think that we should begin each post-no matter the subject- with Hail Alecto the Great. And now and again throw in a 'May Alecto's magnificience shine down upon you."

I understand being aggravated but the fault is partly our own for not being more diligent.

It is massively irresponsible of the forum owner to have default settings that make e-mail addresses public. I've never seen this on any other forum. Makes me wonder what her motivations are in running this forum, or if she's just plain incompetent. I used an anonymous address to register, because this forum seemed a bit sketchy -- apparently my instincts were right.

Look, no-one forced you to ask to play, and if you can't play nicely, no-one wants you in the playground.

Actually they are not default settings in the sense that you can do nothing about them. Responsible board usage involves looking at that thing called a 'User Control Panel' which is visible the minute you log in, and making sure that YOU set your own board preferences for the board. It's not rocket science, and if a 51 year old technophobe like me can do it, I'm sure you can.

If you failed to do that it's YOUR problem, not Alecto's, so lay off the whinging please, as it doesn't make you sound mature or sensible, just very, very infantile.

'And no way to unregister EVER!!!!!!!!!! - oh, God, let's just call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAhmbulance shall we? I'm sure if you don't want to be part of our merry band of brethren and sistren, then Alecto will be only too pleased to ban you at your own request or deregister you or whatever. Hope you manage to get that sorted out soon, OK, because you'd obviously be happier elsewhere.

Or would you complain then too? Why don't you call for your huff and depart in it? And if you can't depart in a huff, try a minute and a huff. Yawn.

Oh, thinly disguised threats 'I'm sure she's going to get herself into expensive legal trouble' don't go down well either. That is so yuku . . .

I'm sure this could be arranged, in your case. Because you're just that special. Have you asked Alecto (may her magnificience shine down upon you) nicely to delete your account?

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure this could be arranged, in your case. Because you're just that special. Have you asked Alecto (may her magnificience shine down upon you) nicely to delete your account?

All Hail the Great Alecto. You have been rumbled Ma'am. But your plan to take over the world, starting with the disgruntled TLC faction whose board was so unceremoniously shut down, has already come to fruition. They will stay and whine, forever more (may your magnificence shine down upon them). :pray:

If you want to be banned, J-Watcher, just say the word. That's the only way you can leave Hotel California this forum that you, presumably an adult, signed up for.

Thank you for the reminder! :)

To naysayers: One of the first things this site did once I signed up was to point me towards editing my profile. It seems to me the default on many forums is public e-mail; at any rate I am on staff at a phpBB board and public e-mail is the default. This can't be changed by us; the member has to change their preferences. It seems like the other way would make more sense, but that's how it is.

You also have the option to change the e-mail address used by the site if you like.

And if you can't depart in a huff, try a minute and a huff.

Hail, hail, Freedonia! And Rufus T. Firefly! And Alecto! And cookies!

Dsw9jYU_rJI

Guest Anonymous

I tend to think it's intentional. This is what they dug up about me because I (intentionally at the time) left my email address public:

1) My name

2) My Facebook page

3) My Twitter account (one of them actually wanted to follow me)

4) Several sites where my genealogical information is posted (intentionally made public to connect with other researchers)

5) Other internet forums I belong to

Of course there's probably more, but you get the idea. The very moment I said something they deemed sexist or racist they mentioned everything they found on me. Does it bother me? No. Am I angry? No. I intentionally put the information out there. Having my information out there for the public to see led to finding my long lost great-aunt's family and connect to others researching the same family surnames.

Anyway, you're right this forum is sketchy. This is a group of people who see things in black and are intolerant of different opinions. That is hypocritical and makes them just as bad and crazy as the fundies they snark on.

I tend to think it's intentional. This is what they dug up about me because I (intentionally at the time) left my email address public:

1) My name

2) My Facebook page

4) Several sites where my genealogical information is posted (intentionally made public to connect with other researchers)

Of course there's probably more, but you get the idea. The very moment I said something they deemed sexist or racist they mentioned everything they found on me. Does it bother me? No. Am I angry? No. I intentionally put the information out there. Having my information out there for the public to see led to finding my long lost great-aunt's family and connect to others researching the same family surnames.

Anyway, you're right this forum is sketchy. This is a group of people who see things in black and are intolerant of different opinions. That is hypocritical and makes them just as bad and crazy as the fundies they snark on.

LOL because posting about how the forum is hypocritical is not hypocritical? Puuulease!!!

No I'm not happy my email was available for all to see, but hey, it's done, my fault for being so careless. I have too many emails already I don't bother to make up fake ones for forum registrations, and that's my problem.

1) My name

2) My Facebook page

loltypo

Just pointing out the obvious and replying to J'watcher's comment

No, you're a shit stirring troll who saw another golden opportunity to stir shit again. But, you know, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

People here see SOME things in black and white. We also expect you to be an adult and take responsibility for what you say and how you behave. That includes your own personal information. When I registered here, one of the first things I did was check my privacy settings. You know, because for me that is important and I took responsibility for that.

Grow up

Just pointing out the obvious and replying to J'watcher's comment

Sunshine, it's time for you to relax and unwind. Why don't you make yourself a cocktail, go slip into a nice white robe and salute a flag or something.

1) My name

2) My Facebook page

Um, geniebelle? You signed up for this forum in February. It is middle of March and as of this writing you have 460 posts! Seriously! Either you are a troll or you are a part of FJ, but you are not a victim, so stop this "they", "them", "group of people" b.s.

What sane person would keep coming back to a forum where "they" treated you so badly? A sketchy forum? Seriously? Maybe you need to post a few thousand more times just to be absolutely sure how sketchy this place is. :roll:

Archived