IGNORED

Radio interview about the fundie agenda against women

lilah

I was listening to this radio interview/discussion last night on NPR. It was ostensibly a dicussion about Rush Limbaugh and the GOP but it also included a discussion about the fundies and their relationship with the GOP and how they anti-women's right agenda is influences GOP decision making.

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp/tp ... ugh_and_th

It featured the author of this book DDelirium: How the Sexual Counterrevolution Is Polarizing America . Might be an interesting read.

Um, I'm gonna go with YES.

Well then I just hope we don't go into the cliche of 'Republicans/Conservatives are evil and Democrats/Liberals are good'

I just don't like cliches or generalizations.

I was listening to this radio interview/discussion last night on NPR. It was ostensibly a dicussion about Rush Limbaugh and the GOP but it also included a discussion about the fundies and their relationship with the GOP and how they anti-women's right agenda is influences GOP decision making.

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp/tp ... ugh_and_th

It featured the author of this book DDelirium: How the Sexual Counterrevolution Is Polarizing America . Might be an interesting read.

I am 46 minutes into this 50 minute broadcast and nothing has been mentioned about fundies. Two columnists, one conservative & one liberal, have debated Limbaugh's remarks and women's access to birth control, but that's pretty much been all so far. Now they're talking about the NYPD and policing.

Just to be clear, I am listening to "Rush Limbaugh and the GOP", which aired March 8, 2012. Is that the wrong broadcast?

Well then I just hope we don't go into the cliche of 'Republicans/Conservatives are evil and Democrats/Liberals are good'

Can you link to Republican politicians who are speaking out against the Blunt Act or condemn Rush Limbaugh? My husband is a moderate Republican so I know they exist. However, they don't seem very vocal

Here's another interview with Nancy L. Cohen about sexual fundamentalism and the GOP. March 5.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/

I think Boehner called Limbaugh "inappropriate". I am wondering where the republican women are when you've got all this nonsense going on.

Can you link to Republican politicians who are speaking out against the Blunt Act or condemn Rush Limbaugh? My husband is a moderate Republican so I know they exist. However, they don't seem very vocal

I can think of one moderate Republican- Olympia Snowe. And she's not running again.

There *are* good Republicans who would not throw women under the bus to stay elected. But those are not in office, I'm sorry to say. Eroding women's rights and access to health care, from the 1100 anti-woman bills introduced in Congress recently, appears to be the Republican Party's MO. And I have no idea why- because they're all about "small governemnt" and "personal liberty" yet all the bills they introduce directly contradict their mission statement, IMO.

It's the Blunt-Rubio Act, which will be important to remember if Rubio gets picked as the GOP VP candidate.

I like that FJ is refreshingly lacking in name calling like Republiturds or Libtards. Most posts I read focus on the individual, not the party they claim allegiance with.

Guest Anonymous
Are Republicans really insensitive towards women's rights and health?

Since the religious right and tea party factions took over the party....yes. This is coming from a someone who is a moderate Republican.

Are Republicans really insensitive towards women's rights and health?

Individual Republicans I would imagine vary, like members of any movement. The Republican PARTY, however, has been engaged in a war against women for many years now. I would replace "insensitive" in your question for "filled with hate" based on their behaviour. I can't understand it, but it seems to be a very important part of their platform.

Individual Republicans I would imagine vary, like members of any movement. The Republican PARTY, however, has been engaged in a war against women for many years now. I would replace "insensitive" in your question for "filled with hate" based on their behaviour. I can't understand it, but it seems to be a very important part of their platform.

I think the republicans war against women has escalated partially due to influence from the religious right and partially due to them being proven wrong time and again.

There is a huge distinction between Republicans (people) and Republicans (party leadership). I sincerely believe that the Republican party leadership is rotten to the core. But Republicans as people? I am married to one, I have friends irl and online, even on FJ, who are Republicans. I understand why they vote the way they do and I see it as a tolerable ideological difference. I don't think liberals are all good, there are some liberal leaders that I hate so much I would not vote for them under any circumstances. I am friends with a person who has become a TP leader in my area. We have some interesting and polite debates and she has said she enjoys hearing a liberal perspective because most of her friends have the same opinion she does.

All of this is so interesting. My son, in 8th grade, is studying Civil War history, and is learning how the Republican party came about because the members were anti-slavery. Now it's the party that would be happy to see women enslaved.

How long does the GOP think it can stay in existence with this current agenda?

To geniebelle and other moderate Republican FJers; Do you plan on voting for the Republican presidential candidate this year?

Here is an op-ed by Cohen that describes her theory pretty closely

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/com ... 5127.story

Conflicts over gay marriage, transvaginal ultrasounds, Planned Parenthood funding and insurance coverage for birth control are not isolated events. Rather, they are the latest expression of a 40-year-old shadow movement that has played an important role in fueling America's political dysfunction.

Archived