IGNORED

Happy International Women's Day

finleeport

To all the women in the world, who struggled and fought to be empowered and to gain equality.

I wonder what Dougie, Santorum, Duggar, and all the other fundies (and internalized sexists like Ladies against Feminism) are gonna say about it?

What do you think they might do?

To all the women in the world, who struggled and fought to be empowered and to gain equality.

I wonder what Dougie, Santorum, Duggar, and all the other fundies (and internalized sexists like Ladies against Feminism) are gonna say about it?

What do you think they might do?

Yay! :) We have loads of activities planned :)

I predict Dougie and the like will whinge about it on their blogs. Not sure about Santorum, but given the stuff he says I shudder to think.

We've had a silent peace vigil at our courthouse every day for the past 11 years. International Womens Day is the only day we break our silence. About 40 minutes into the 60 minute vigil folks get a variety of instruments from their cars and we all sing Bread and Roses.

I got an email this morning from kiva.org about an even they're doing for IWD. A skincare company is providing $1000 to give microloans to entrepreneurs in developing countries. You can read about it here.

The company doesn't give exclusively to women, but focuses on them in particular because:

Research shows that when a woman contributes to her family’s income, she reinvests the majority of of her earnings to build a better future for herself and her children.

Every additional year of education for a girl yields a 20% increase in her future earning potential.

A child born to a mother who can read is 50% more likely to survive past the age of five

So if you've never provided a loan through Kiva before, and you don't mind registering with them, you can choose a project and provide $25 toward it for free.

I got an email this morning from kiva.org about an even they're doing for IWD. A skincare company is providing $1000 to give microloans to entrepreneurs in developing countries. You can read about it here.

The company doesn't give exclusively to women, but focuses on them in particular because:

So if you've never provided a loan through Kiva before, and you don't mind registering with them, you can choose a project and provide $25 toward it for free.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the reminder about Kiva. Just donated towards a loan for a group of women farmers in South Africa.

Archived