IGNORED

Happy to be virgins: Successful, attractive and popular..

doggie

I am really having trouble figuring out why the status of a woman's hymen is a topic for public debate.

Isn't this a private matter?

I think it's fine if people want to be virgins or have sex every day or something in between. I don't see why people have to make a big deal about their sex life like this. I'm glad they're happy, popular and successful, but I don't care what they do in bed. There are never articles about "I have sex about once a week with my monogamous partner, and I'm happy and successful!" or "I have sex with several different partners in a friends with benefits thing, and I'm happy and successful!" It just seems weird that they want to make such a big deal about it.

I am really having trouble figuring out why the status of a woman's hymen is a topic for public debate.

Isn't this a private matter?

well I guess not since they seem to have announced it to the world. But I agree why would you announce it unless you think it makes you better somehow.

I am close friends with a woman who is 28 and a virgin. Her cousins got her a membership to an online dating site without her permission and didn't understand why she would be upset. Apparently they thought she simply never found anyone to have sex with and given the chance she would. She says she's not gay and she is just not interested in dating, sex etc. She even had herself checked out - no physical reason her doctor can find she's not interested in sex.

This of course isn't uncommon I have several Muslim friends from high school who are still virgins and won't even kiss until their wedding. Since they are just now finished with school they have careers to get off the ground etc.

So Duggar like families are the only ones with adult virgin children.

Having sex doesn't make one grown up. Otherwise quite a few teenagers would be more mature than they are.

Guest Anonymous

well I guess not since they seem to have announced it to the world. But I agree why would you announce it unless you think it makes you better somehow.

This, squared! :banana-dance: :banana-guitar: :banana-rock: :handgestures-salute::greetings-clappingorange::greetings-clappingorange:

I post on a forum with a 64 year old male IFB virgin. He thinks he's superior since he's never had sex and also believes he'll get the golden ticket to pie in the sky.

DOGGIE! Don't read the Daily Fail! It's been proven in clinical trials to damage the brain (and probably the heart and genitalia too). Advanced sufferers of Failitus have a tendency to spout right wing bollocks constantly and at the most inappropriate moments. Don't take the risk!

I read http://www.fark.com/ it's far worse every wacky, crazy, weird, stupid story you can imagine.

Certainly with you on that one JFC. Can we say the same for the Daily Express too? And the Torygraph? (Are you ok by the way? I know there were housing problems, and hope you're managing.)

Thank you Artemis! We can definitely say the same for the rags you mention. The Torygraph may be the most insidious as that is what "opinion formers" read....

I'm OK, we are probably going to go for the legal route against our eviction, which will buy us a little time. I do not relish the prospect of homeless accommodation, which is speeding towards me, but....

Apparently the only happy virgins are women. Men make unhappy virgins.

I'm thinking that this is just the latest in a new trend to de-sexualize women. :(

I found this article disturbing in a lot of ways. First of all, why are they only profiling female virgins? That's lame and, IMO, somewhat sexist. Maybe it isn't so bad considering that the piece seems to be aimed at women, but still.

Second, the whole thing just struck me as...sad. Let me be clear: I don't think there is anything inherently sad about being a virgin at any age. But there are lines in this article that make some of these women sound desperately insecure: "My friends tell me making love is over-rated anyway. They say my toffee brioche pudding is better than sex!" "I don’t want to sound conceited, but friends — both male and female — tell me men don’t approach me because I’m too pretty. I probably seem unattainable..." "I wasn’t brought up a Christian, but I read Dan Brown’s novel Angels And Demons when I was 21, and its theories on Christianity made me question my beliefs. So I went on a course to learn about the faith, and within months I was baptised. Christianity gave me a sense of belonging..." "I’m not going to lie — I look at David Beckham in his underpants and think he’s attractive — but I’ve always managed to quash any impulse to act on my desire." (What the hell does that mean??) "I enjoy myself in other ways. I watch medical dramas and wildlife documentaries, and I do craft work." "This was all in the late Eighties, when the Aids epidemic was prevalent, and I learned to associate casual sex with disease. Remaining a virgin seemed the only way to remain happy and healthy, and from my early teens I vowed to abstain from sex." "If I lost my virginity to a man who then left me, I would feel exploited and fall to pieces." "The cool girls jeered at my jeans and sweatshirts, made jibes about my weight, and laughed at my dancing at the school discos. I started to feel insecure about the way I looked, and hid myself in baggy jumpers. I couldn’t stand the thought of anyone seeing me naked." "I love the sense of freedom and independence being single affords me, and there’s certainly no danger of me ending up bitter and twisted."

The article is called "Happy to be Virgins," but many of these women sound far from happy.

Yeah, that's what I took away from it too.

This is either off topic or on topic:

I opened a book thats been sitting on my Kindle for months (freebie, I don't buy ebooks), Hello Kitty Must Die. It is a tale of a 28 year old virgin, Chinese American, looking for hymen replacement surgery. Apparently she either broke hers or wasn't born with one. Very funny, but its got some editing problems. Good cultural and social perspectives, IMHO, but thats just me. Oh and its got a hilarious serial killer in it...I like funny serial killers, ala Serge Storm.

riffle

DOGGIE! Don't read the Daily Fail! It's been proven in clinical trials to damage the brain (and probably the heart and genitalia too). Advanced sufferers of Failitus have a tendency to spout right wing bollocks constantly and at the most inappropriate moments. Don't take the risk!

:lol: +1.

Archived