IGNORED

ILU-486: Amazing Short Story - Personhood Dystopia

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

http://amandaching.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/67/

Beyond worth reading, takes 10 - 20 minutes depending on how quick of a reader you are. I want an "Every Part Of You Belongs To You" t-shirt so much.

Summary: In the not-so-distant future of Virginia, the Personhood Act has outlawed abortion and chemical birth control. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist, though.

**ETA: All proceeds from t-shirt sales go to Planned Parenthood.

Guest Anonymous
I want a t-shirt, too.

It seems fantastical. . but then again, it doesn't. :shock:

I know what you mean, Austin. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that there are elected government officials that want to take contraception away from women, but they are in earnest. I had cold chills and the the hairs on the back of my neck standing up while I was reading.

Wow... That was such a good story.

I hope and pray that women will realize where certain politicians want this country to go and will choose to not vote against their own bodies.

Thank you SO MUCH for this story. I am sitting here in parking lot, just having read it on my phone, because I could not put it down.

I read this the other day and it was amazing. I so hope that things never get to that point, but I do worry about what would happen if more people like Frothy get elected.

That story made me mad. And sad. I really thought people in virginia had more sense. But then again I thought no state would have a majority of voters choose santorum either.

Women with "nonbirthing cards", that's where I think personhood laws will lead. No one's going to risk selling alcohol or cigarettes to a woman who might be pregnant, because both the woman and the seller would be guilty of harming the "person" developing.

This story illustrates what the prolife/forced birth movement refuses to accept - abortion will never stop. It infuriates me to see things like "we can end abortion in our lifetime", because you can't. You can make it illegal, but abortion has existed long before modern medicine, and will continue whether or not it's safe and legal. Making abortion illegal just means rich women will travel to where it is legal, and poorer women will be maimed or kill attempting to do it on the sly.

Love it!

I'm a huge dystopian-speculative fiction fan...This short story makes fighting "personhood am." bills all the more urgent.

That story was re-twitted by none other than Margaret Atwood! Now THAT is a compliment! :clap:

ETA: when I say I love it I meant that I loved the writing and the way the story flows, not that I love the subject matter...What is so creepy is the fact that a lot of what she wrote could happen in the near (say 10 yrs) future. The only thing I think that wouldn't happen were the sensors that are able to detect estrogens in the sewage systems, but I can easily imagine the mobile vans, window sill codes, drug tests, gallows... :cry:

It gave me goosebumps when I read it. I worry about the future for young women in this country if some people get their way. THere will always be parts of the country where there are freedoms, but the premise of this story could very well happen.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Incredibly powerful short story--I will be posting to Tumblr and Facebook to spread it around more. It's terrifying to consider people actually want that to be reality.

I wish I could get a tee shirt. Hopefully one day.

Also, I love that in the comments she got one a Conservative Christian basically telling her that it was terrible and she would be accountable to God, etc and her response was that she was glad he had read it since he was in her target audience. Talk about handling the crazy with class.

Love it!

I'm a huge dystopian-speculative fiction fan...This short story makes fighting "personhood am." bills all the more urgent.

That story was re-twitted by none other than Margaret Atwood! Now THAT is a compliment! :clap:

Seriously? wow, what an honor!

I loved (and hated) this so much! I can't afford the t-shirt yes, maybe in a week or so.....living in Virginia I feel like this is a must!

Archived