IGNORED

Frothy's religious background

fakepigtails73

So Santorum is Roman Catholic...

I wonder if he's one of the "Latin mass", "everything was so much better before Vatican 2" Catholics?

Also, some Protestant fundies do a "return to Rome" thing (they convert to Catholicism).

Is Santorum a convert or a cradle-Catholic? I've noticed that "former fundies who converted" try sometimes to be what we call "more Catholic than the Pope".

Questions, questions...

I believe he is a life-long Catholic and a pre-Vatican II type. But I could be wrong.

Thats my understanding.

His family in Italy were/are also Commies. But he never mentions that.

Santorum? WTH kind of Italian name is that? I guess he's Italian through his mother's side, since I can't for the life of me, figure out the origins of Frothy's last name.

Doesn't look Italian either. Not even Northern Italian.

I think I read somehwere that he has attended Latin Mass at a church in DC. I think it may have been on Wiki but it is no longer there. His wiki page does say he graduated from a Catholic High School.

He also has connections with the Catholic cult group, Opus Dei.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics ... dei/47349/

Rick Santorum sent two of his sons to a Washington, D.C. all-boys school affiliated with Opus Dei, the Catholic group whose members were portrayed as sinisterly weird in the sensationalistic Da Vinci Code but in reality only engage in some mild self-mutilation, "nothing traumatic," as the group's website says. Santorum says he's not a member of Opus Dei, though he did go to Rome in 2002 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding, and he belongs to the St. Catherine of Siena Parish, "a favorite of Opus Dei," the Washington Post says. Opus Dei has about 90,000 members, a third of which are "numeraries" who are celibate for life and wear a cilice -- a garter belt with spikes turned toward the skin -- every day. (The group is often criticized as elitist, but you can find a "three link, 1mm gauge, full-leg metal cilice with metal fastener" on sale for an affordable $69.) It might seem unfair to criticize Santorum for his religious affiliations, but Santorum wouldn't think so. He convincingly argued it was okay in December 2007, after Mitt Romney delivered a speech on his Mormon faith. "[Romney's] supporters say it is akin to rejecting a Barack Obama because he is black," Santorum wrote for the Philadelphia Inquirer. "But Obama was born black; Romney is a Mormon because he accepts the beliefs of the Mormon faith. This permits us, therefore, to make inferences about his judgment and character, good or bad."

http://deadlinelive.info/2012/01/12/san ... nnections/

http://secularhumanist.blogspot.com/201 ... s-dei.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

In the English-speaking world, the most vocal critic of Opus Dei is an internet-based blogging website called the Opus Dei Awareness Network (ODAN). ODAN describes itself as an organisation that exists "to provide education, outreach and support to people who have been adversely affected by Opus Dei." ODAN is headed by Diane DiNicola, mother of a former member, Tammy DiNicola.[118] Other major critics include Maria Carmen del Tapia, an ex-member who was a high-ranking officer of Opus Dei for many years,[119] liberal Catholic theologians such as Fr. James Martin, a Jesuit writer and editor, and supporters of Liberation theology, such as journalist Penny Lernoux and Michael Walsh, a writer on religious matters and former Jesuit.[74][120]

Seal of the Prelature of Opus Dei: "A cross embracing the world"

Critics state that Opus Dei is "intensely secretive"— for example, members generally do not disclose their affiliation with Opus Dei in public. Further, under the 1950 constitution, members were expressly forbidden to reveal themselves without the permission of their superiors.[17] This practice has led to much speculation about who may be a member.[17]

Opus Dei has been accused of deceptive and aggressive recruitment practices such as showering potential members with intense praise ("Love bombing"),[100] instructing numeraries to form friendships and attend social gatherings explicitly for recruiting purposes,[75] and requiring regular written reports from its members about those friends who are potential recruits.[121]

Organisations such as ODAN allege that Opus Dei maintains an extremely high degree of control over its members— for instance, past rules required numeraries to submit their incoming and outgoing mail to their superiors for inspection,[122] and members are forbidden to read certain books without permission from their superiors.[122] Critics charge that Opus Dei pressures numeraries to sever contact with non-members, including their own families.[100] Exit counselor David Clark has described Opus Dei as "very cult-like".[100]

Critics assert that Escrivá and the organisation supported radical right-wing governments, such as those of Augusto Pinochet[123] and Alberto Fujimori of Peru during the 1990s.[124] Both Pinochet's and Fujimori's ministries and prominent supporters allegedly included members of Opus Dei. There have also been allegations that Escrivá expressed sympathy for Adolf Hitler.[125][126] One former Opus Dei priest, Vladimir Felzmann, who has become a vocal Opus Dei critic, says that Escrivá once remarked that Hitler had been "badly treated" by the world and he further declared that "Hitler couldn't have been such a bad person. He couldn't have killed six million [Jews]. It couldn't have been more than four million."[127][128][129]

Opus Dei has also been accused of elitism through targeting of "the intellectual elite, the well-to-do, and the socially prominent."[130]

As a part of the Roman Catholic Church, Opus Dei has been open to the same criticisms as Catholicism in general— for example female members of Opus Dei cannot become priests or prelates.[131]

After conducting a critical study of Opus Dei, journalist John Allen, Jr. concluded that Opus Dei should (1) be more transparent, (2) collaborate with monks and nuns who belong to religious orders, and (3) encourage its members to air out in public their criticisms of the institution.[8]

[edit]

Opus Dei is a very scary group and I would be very leery of anyone in the politics having a connection to them.

Santorum? WTH kind of Italian name is that? I guess he's Italian through his mother's side, since I can't for the life of me, figure out the origins of Frothy's last name.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... s-out.html

But the elder Santorum matriarch doesn’t understand why he has diverged so far from the family’s longtime political stance. “In Riva del Garda his grandfather Pietro and uncles were ‘red communists’ to the core,†writes Oggi journalist Giuseppe Fumagalli, likening the family to “Peppone†after a famous fictional Italian communist mayor who fought against an ultraconservative priest known as Don Cammillo and about which a popular television series is based. “But on the other side of the ocean, it’s like his family here doesn’t exist. Instead he draws crowds as the head of the ultraconservative faction of the Republican party, against divorce, gay marriage, abortion, and immigration.â€

According to this BBC article, it's an old surname in the area where his grandfather lived and his father was born.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16972178

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, I would've never guessed "Santorum" had Italian roots.

Loved the "we engage in some mild self-mutilation" quote in the Opus Dei article. That group creeps me out.

ETA: Colour me confused...I thought Frothy was a Fundie who converted to Catholic, but it was Sam Brownback who I had in mind. Another creepy fool. He's one who used to be a fundie who became Catholic.

According to this BBC article, it's an old surname in the area where his grandfather lived and his father was born.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16972178

In America, Irish-Italian is a common European mix. So I would say that this could be the answer, but thank God it isn't. It's horrible enough that his heritage is Italian like most of mine is. *rocks back and forth in a scared way* I really hope we're not related...

Opus Dei are very scary IMNSHO. I went to Mass once at an Opus Dei parish in Chicago. Uffda is all I can say. I would not want someone associated with Opus Dei to be President of the U.S.

The Family is from Tyrol, which explains the name. Thats a wackadoodle German/Italian mix ( my fathers family is from Tyrol too :shhh: ). That they are also something like real life Peppones is hillarious. I used to watch the TV show with my grandfather :lol:

So frothy is a part of the horrible version of Catholocism I was raised in. I know him better than I thought....ugggggh...he is worse than I thought. He ain't the Chreaster Catholic like JFK, but the crazy shit.

My family is Opus Dei affiliated, and I know familly members who wear those garters. That is one evil org, and I recall, recntly, someone asking us if she should go work for them hell no. It's like a Journey of the Heart reeducation situation.

How is it that Equal marriage is becoming more of a reality, tons of backlash for Susan Kolman, yet Frothy is winning? Theocratic politics are scaring me, especially because I have a better understanding of this jackass's motives. Also, I believe Frothy is one of those ashamed gay men, who uses religious superiority to hide it. How is he gettin g so many votes? Besides crazy people like my family. Don't evangelical fundies hate Catholics? Do they hate Mormons more?

Archived