IGNORED

ITonRamp - £1000 course to change a power supply!

Guest purposing

Guest Anonymous

Nathan Maxwell has added a badly-written blog to the OneTonRamp website and there are some great success stories so far:

Firstly, Anna Maxwell was the first (and quite possibly the only) person to pass both the A+ exams - well done Anna!

Another student, who has now invested £1200 in Maxwell IT courses, reports with excitement that the course enabled him to troubleshoot problems with the church computer and correctly identify that the power cable was damaged!

Yet another student has taught Nathan how to use Google.

Praise the Lord! :P

http://itonramp.com/itreport/

Guest Anonymous

This guy is a student on Joseph Maxwell's HTML course. A holy $200 version of the $20 HTML for Dummies book - with an appropriately scriptural slant in the homework:

Our projects for this week: Read Chapters 6 and 7 of HTML, XHTML, and CSS for Dummies, and convert Philipians 4 into an HTML doc.

theadventurousfellow.blogspot.com/2012/01/html-webinar-2.html

Thought I'd just go and check the power cable thing . . .

"October 20th, 2011 — A+ Student Fixes Church Computer

Posted on October 21, 2011 by itoradmin

I received an email recently from a student who is participating in A+ course right now. This particular gentleman started with Home Track and then signed up for A+. Here’s a snip:

“I had the opportunity to troubleshoot a church computer that was having trouble and found it to be an issue with the power supply which I replaced and was able to check for and install updates. The system is now running without glitches.â€

I was thrilled to see this. Is replacing a power supply super hard? No, the mechanics of it aren’t amazingly involved. But, that’s just part of the equation. He had to troubleshoot the computer first. Perhaps it was the motherboard or CPU that had failed? Once he identified the problem component, he had to find a compatible replacement unit. All cables had to be hooked up correctly. And, in closing the project out he noticed that security updates were behind on the PC. He caught those up and left the PC not only working, but the OS in better shape than he found it. Well done!!

Ok, maybe I'm just being plain nasty here but:

When he says 'power supply' he means power cable right?

So - the computer does not turn on. First off, check that it's plugged in and the switch is on. Still doesn't turn on? Either the socket is dead, the computer is dead or the cable is dead. Attach another functioning device to the socket. It works? Socket is not dead. Then find/buy new cable, attach, turn on. Computer turns on = cable was dead. Doesn't = computer is dead. In this case, cable was dead. Problem solved with new cable.

Stick correct 'male' bit of cable into correct 'female' bit of computer. Warning: potentially defrauding activity. Pray first. (Hooking up is such a fraught activity.)

When computer turned on, notice small flag that says 'Your computer needs a security update' Click on flag and follow instructions.

Problem solved.

I've done this so many times with various computers. I didn't need a course to do it, nor did I make a big song and dance about it.

Why do fundies (and the Maxwells in particular) try to make it appear as if simply dealing with the normal day to day aspects of living in society are a massive deal? Don't they understand how petty and self-absorbed it makes them seem? And how can they reconcile it with their consciences to make money out of such sad suckers?

"On closing the project out"? - Oh get a grip - it wasn't a bloody project, it was just dealing with a minor issue.

No the psu is the bit that the cable plugs into. You need to know wattage to get but other than that its not hard.

Guest Anonymous

I replaced the power supply to my laptop, a few weeks ago. It involved cursing Dell for making crappy power supplies, checking the part number and spending a few minutes and a few ££s on ebay.

No defrauding IT mentor conversations necessary.... :dance:

Okay, I'm not trying to be a hater, but I had zero experience repairing computer hardware (I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software, particularly with Macs), and the first time out, I managed to crack open my Mac laptop, take out a shot hard drive and replace it with no issues. I've also swapped out iPod batteries and brought an Xbox back from the red ring of death. The secret? Google, iFixIt, occasional Instructables, and that's about it. It's not really brain surgery- I actually enjoy it, which I wouldn't have expected, as I've never been the mechanical type. Would love to build my own Linux box one day.

Okay, I'm not trying to be a hater, but I had zero experience repairing computer hardware (I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software, particularly with Macs), and the first time out, I managed to crack open my Mac laptop, take out a shot hard drive and replace it with no issues. I've also swapped out iPod batteries and brought an Xbox back from the red ring of death. The secret? Google, iFixIt, occasional Instructables, and that's about it. It's not really brain surgery- I actually enjoy it, which I wouldn't have expected, as I've never been the mechanical type. Would love to build my own Linux box one day.

Any chance you did the x-box 360 fix with the towels? MY son has fixed our a couple times with that trick but it doesn't last forever.

Would love to build my own Linux box one day.

Do it today--or at least sooner, rather than later! Building and repairing computers was my bread and butter back in high school, so I figure if I could teach myself to do it as a teen, then you could do it now, especially with how many videos are out there now that didn't exist ~10 years ago. :) I used Red Hat 8 back in the day and had an absolute ball with it, so I can only assume Linux these days is even more efficient and fun to fiddle with.

All of that to say... Get started! The parts are usually cheap on eBay or NewEgg. ...Or maybe I should just stop living vicariously through others and do it myself rather than nagging you :lol:

clibbyjo- I tried the towel fix, but that didn't last, so I cracked the Xbox open, swapped out some washers on the heat sinks and replaced the thermal compound on the CPU and heat sinks to try and help with the heat generation thing. It worked for a while, but as with the towels, it didn't last. I may have just not been as thorough as I should have been, though. On the bright side, my hard drive and iPod battery replacements were complete successes.

And Spider Burps, I'm thinking about it. I am in China, home of dirt cheap computer parts, so I may as well do it here as anywhere else, but there are space issues involved, so we'll see. I'm totally jealous of those awesome mod cases I see online, so there's definitely appeal to getting something set up entirely by myself.

Archived