IGNORED

What makes you so obsessed with the fundies?

sparrow

As a liberally-raised, well-educated woman brought up to question the world, I find it intriguing to see other ways of viewing the world. I agree with other posters about being simultaneously repulsed and fascinated. "Do they REALLY believe that?"

I think it must be very comforting in a confusing world to believe that all the answers are in a book. The fundies we talk about believe that if you live by a strict set of rules, you will be a good person and go to heaven. Of course, doing so, means that they have to often disregard their own questioning nature and ignore a lot of their own instincts (e.g. Pearl childraising methods). They are also able to believe that they are above and apart from the world, and are special, chosen people. I can see how it could be an attractive way of life to those who feel lost or have not been raised with the security to question the world around them.

Also, I'm very interested to see the growing religiousity in the USA (I'm from Australia) and the impact that some of these very conservative views are having on politics and society there.

I'm in the (mostly lurker), 'raised fundie-lite' category (traveled cross country in an RV? check. Met Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker? check. home schooled? nope--my parents 'discovered' that option a LITTLE to late--my dad wishes he would have learned it sooner and I"m forever grateful he didn't.)

And I struggle w/ my relationship w/ the church and my role in it. This is always a good eye opener for those niggling things that BOTHER me but that I can't quite put my finger on.

Because I am afraid that they will get their wish and take over our government and impose their ideas etc on the rest of the country. It seems to be happening now with all the anti abortion laws being passed and who knows where it is going.

Guest Anonymous
It originally started because I always wanted heaps of brothers and sisters (having none in the end anyway) So I googled large families, watched a few episodes of 18 and counting and became obsessed. I have been lurking for a few weeks here and finally decided to join. And this is my first post! :dance:

Welcome. Snark on, and I love your avatar!

I've always had a fundie obsession. I used to think they were sweet and I would watch all the shows, happily buying their drivel. This led to watching the Gosselins, who I found crazy. I started reading and posting at a blog dedicated to snarking on them. I found Emily that way, and from there I found Free Jinger. I think that's how it went anyway...

I was a Jehovah Witness Bible Study Student for many years. I didn't find out until the last 2 years that the group was built on a bunch of lies. But, even before I found that out, I felt something was wrong--I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. Ultimately, I went on the internet and saw how bad the JWs really were (when you became a full member). So, I quit them completely.

I wanted to stay religious, but I didn't want to get involved in another cult like the JWs. So, I started "studying" different religions so I wouldn't end up jumping from the frying pan into the fire. That's when I started studying fundies. I noticed that the fundies and JWs were a lot alike. They're all about control, punishments, setting the bar so high--you can't ever win their approval, etc. So, checking into different churches helped me to avoid the pitfalls I ran into before with churches/religions.

I'm now Catholic and happy with that decision. There's none of the pressure and hatred I felt with the other churches I had tried in the past (and with the JWs).

I think it's an offshoot of my general interest in Christian theology? But really I think the roots of it are in my childhood (paging Dr. Freud), as I was raised in a 'wacky' religious home in a more mainstream religious community. I became a nonbeliever at an early age which caused me a lot of angst because I thought there was something wrong with me and I think I was always trying to figure out what was going on with everyone else and, later, why I grew up the way I did, you know... what it was all about. And then it just stuck and I ended up reading some stuff about dominion theology and found some QF/P blogs and getting into some of the families over others and it just didn't stop!

And some of the families are like my soaps by now, it's been so long. Quiet y'all, momma's watchin' her stories!

I think it's a few things.

1) I started watching the Duggars one day on cable, when I moved out of home I didn't have cable so i youtubed the episodes, then after googling the duggars and various other things I found the SAHD and fund blogs. I can't look away anymore.

2) I was raised Pentecostal fundie lite and I was taught similar things about dating, clothing etc so I guess in a way it's kind of a "Woah I could have turned into this" for me

3) I'm fascinated by all religions, Im an Atheist now but I'm fascinated with how people come to discover religion/believe. I also read blogs of other religions as well.

Religion has always interested me, oddball religion included.

I remember watching the first 14 Children special with my mom and we came to the conclusion that there was something really, really weird about these people. We didn't know what, but Michelle and Jim-Boob were obviously not normal people who happened to have a pile of kids. Then we went online. Oy!

Also I can't imagine being in a mindset where I must have a man! One thing Mom is rightfully pleased with me about is that I don't have that. I mean, it's not that I don't like them. And it's not that I wouldn't really like to get married if the opportunity came along. But a couple of such opportunities have fallen through, and at this point, I'm doing fine, so if it happens, fine, if it doesn't, fine. I have my independence and I like it and will not give it up the way the fundie women have.

It's also becoming hilarious imagining Father Ken's reaction to these twisted versions of Christianity (aside from what I suspect would be righteous anger!). I mean, WTF??? He and everybody at that church are so...normal. It's nice to have a reminder that Christianity need not be batshit insane; normal ones aren't as fascinating to watch, but infinitely better to actually live with.

Since I'm new, this will serve as a good intro of sorts.

So yeah, I was homeschooled. My family came to this decision from being in one of the worst school districts in the state and not being able to afford private schools, so that was my mom's only other option. (Un)fortunately, the only homeschool group close to us were extremely conservative Catholics (large families, homebirths, moms in jumpers, general rejection of evolution), and we kind of got sucked into that life for a little while. Someone even warned me about "feminazi nuns" when I was accepted to a Catholic women's college ... Thankfully, we got out.

But, because of that, we got on all these random mailing lists, so I remember reading the Vision Forum catalogs (how does one pronounce Beall Phillips' name anyway??) and hearing about the Botkins, etc. I was always curious how they managed to support so many kids with one income, and not just support them, but pay for matching outfits and such nice photography!

I'm a feminist theology nerd. I'm fascinated by the impact of religion on women's lives, for good or ill. I read "Quiverfull" by Kathryn Joyce and it scared the bejesus out of me. I'm also amazed by the level of science denial that goes around these groups ... even the Catholic church (which I'm still kind of affiliated with) rejects creationism and intelligent design. C'mon people!

I started watching the Duggars when I had cable, and realized that I felt a certain level of affinity for Hannie, since we have the same name and she's such a shit starter. I want her to grow up and get out so very badly.

Fascination and repulsion with different lifestyles and I suppose it's a combination of simple voyeurism and an attempt to figure out just why they live/believe that.

I'm still amazed at the degree of fundamentalism that some take. Even the "fundie-est" people I know still don't go the frumper route, for instance. I can't imagine what it would be like to see groups of families all in frumpers or skirts at the grocery store, although I know at least one person IRL who keeps up a whole facade of family perfection similar to the fundie blogs, which I love to watch and keep hoping one day to see the cracks in the wall... :whistle: I know, bad.

I grew up Catholic but at this point in my life I'm open-minded in my beliefs. I tend to believe in something, but I don't think that any religion has all the answers. I love to do things that could be considered feminine by the fundies, such as decorating the home, cooking, sewing, embroidery, etc, as well as an interest in different historical periods. But, these things don't define me as a person. I have many other interests and have a career outside the home.

I just follow the bloggers talked about here, though. I like this board because I can indulge in my curiosity without having to search out blogs on my own, and of course the snark is fun.

Archived