IGNORED

Miss Raquel reviews War Horse!

formergothardite

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has he had a sheath cleaning? (

I think if I ever get a horse it'll be a female. Or do they have some personal body part that needs cleaning too?

Because I probably won't watch the movie, I am curious what happened in the scene. What is she talking about Canadian Hippe?

No clue, that's why I was asking. It sounds like she thinks there was a pederasty thing going on.

I think if I ever get a horse it'll be a female. Or do they have some personal body part that needs cleaning too?

I had a few friends who would clean their mares' udders periodically. They all said it sure beat a sheath cleaning.

Reminds me of an anecdote over at Fugly Horse of the Day about a male horse (might even have been a stallion) that seemed very relaxed in the show ring. A little tooo relaxed ifyouknowwhatImean. So his rider had to keep telling him to put his willy away, and he was so well trained that he did, every time. Until she got him into his trailer, at which point he was "Oh, joy, I am finally off the clock!" and peed like, well, a horse. He was being a good obedient horse by not flashing the audience, but he had been sticking his penis out because he had to gooooooo.

Five gets you ten Miss Raquel tries hard to pretend that her horse doesn't even have a penis and would not understand why the above anecdote is funny.

Back on topic: I learned how to write reviews at my public elementary school. But then, I was allowed to have opinions that had not been formulated for me.

I tend to nitpick Raquel's posts a lot because I think she's an arrogant ditz who is utterly in love with herself (I love how she's 'God's Daughter' - like she's the only one, and she's totally name dropping), but I'll keep it brief this time.

'Lady Kate attended!' She isn't 'Lady Kate'. She's Cathrine, Duchess of Caimbridge. I am 99% certain she is not a lady (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

'Little random fact that I wanted to include in here to make me sound brilliant... :D' What? I know she's joking, but what does she even mean by that? I had no interest in the premiere and I knew Kate Middleton went because I saw pictures. It's not like it was a secret.

She's just so... well... not legit, you guys.

Edited for dreadful riffles.

Guest Anonymous
I tend to nitpick Raquel's posts a lot because I think she's an arrogant ditz who is utterly in love with herself (I love how she's 'God's Daughter' - like she's the only one, and she's totally name dropping), but I'll keep it brief this time.

She's just so... well... not legit, you guys.

Edited for dreadful riffles.

Have any of you noticed that the names she chooses to drop all belong to people/entitities that are in no condition to deny knowing her?

*edited because I CAN spell 'people'.

'Lady Kate attended!' She isn't 'Lady Kate'. She's Cathrine, Duchess of Caimbridge. I am 99% certain she is not a lady (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

She's a lady, but not a Lady, if you see what I mean. Despite being the wife of a Prince, she won't be a Princess until he moves up to Prince of Wales, but in the meantime she is, as you say, the Duchess of Cambridge. The question of exactly what would happen if her husband hadn't been created Duke of Cambridge is an interesting one - it wouldn't have been "Prince William and Catherine", so perhaps in that instance it might have been "Prince William and Lady Catherine" - but since the monarch always gives her close family members titles when they marry the problem hasn't arisen so far. I'm not sure I know the answer but I'm quite sure there is one!

I'd heard you guys talk about Miss Raquel before but . . . just . . . her blog . . . pardon me (vomits). Okay, seriously - she calls herself "Miss" like she's what, Miss Scarlett on a plantation or something? She really adores herself. All those pictures! Holy crap, she doesn't blog, she just smears pictures and flowers all over the place. If I were her English teacher, I'd cry.

After finally scrolling past that insipid review, I saw where she says that SAHMs should all be so greatful for getting to wipe skinned knees and working in the kitchen, etc., because they are serving the Lord. Yet - I don't see any husband or babies mentioned. Huh.

What a twit. Of course you knew that. Just my two cents.

Fundy girls often call themselves "miss". Jocelyn Dixon is also "Miss Jocelyn" and it's often used by the Feelin Feminine crowd. I suppose it's meant to look ladylike and old-fashioned and hint at the end-all and by-all of life when they'll become a Mrs!!

You mean Rachel McAdams, no? I think she was not as available as they would have liked her to be, hence the smaller role. I don't think everything is what it seemed there.

I do indeed. I don't know how I messed that up. Rachel McAdams, please forgive me. I recently saw the Muppets which may be why I switched the names.

Fundy girls often call themselves "miss". Jocelyn Dixon is also "Miss Jocelyn" and it's often used by the Feelin Feminine crowd. I suppose it's meant to look ladylike and old-fashioned and hint at the end-all and by-all of life when they'll become a Mrs!!

In the south, younger people often call older women Miss first name. My neighbor's children call me Miss Deb and my husband, Mr Russ. I don't make them do this but their family's insist. Unless she was dealing with little kids, it would seem very arrogant for a 17 year old girl to refer to herself as Miss first name.

I really don't like to be called Miss Deb. Just plain Deb would suit me fine but Miss Deb is better than Mrs. last name. Often I call the kids, Miss or Mr. their first names just so that they know that I respect them back. However, I can't imagine any child ever expecting an adult to call them Miss first name. It would seem rude.

In the south, younger people often call older women Miss first name. My neighbor's children call me Miss Deb and my husband, Mr Russ. I don't make them do this but their family's insist. Unless she was dealing with little kids, it would seem very arrogant for a 17 year old girl to refer to herself as Miss first name.

I really don't like to be called Miss Deb. Just plain Deb would suit me fine but Miss Deb is better than Mrs. last name. Often I call the kids, Miss or Mr. their first names just so that they know that I respect them back. However, I can't imagine any child ever expecting an adult to call them Miss first name. It would seem rude.

As a little kid, I was never allowed to call an adult by his/her first name. So, the parents of my friends were "Miss Jamie" or "Miss Emily" or "Mr. Bob" or whatever. The only exception was that if an adult specifically said "call me Deb" I would have been allowed to do that. But otherwise, the default was "Mr./Miss Firstname" regardless of marital status. We did that for anyone who was not a peer - so even the older teenage sunday school teacher were Miss Firstname, even though they were not adults.

Later, when we went to a more conservative church, the custom there was to call people "Mr./Mrs. Lastname" so I started doing that, even with the parents of my friends.

I have a hard time now calling adults by their first names! I'm ok at work, where we're all colleagues, but I have a hard time with, say, my mother in law. I feel like I should call her "Mrs. Lastname" because that seems more respectful to me, somehow.

Actually, come to think of it, my dad still does this with my husband - Dad will say "how's Mr. Liltwinstar?" when he's talking to me sometimes. He always called his boss Mr. LastName until he started working in law enforcement, and I can tell it's hard for him to address a "superior" by first name. Dad's dad (my grandfather) was a military officer and a Southerner, so Dad got a double whammy of what constitues respect, I guess.

I do like the Mr./Miss Firstname thing, though, and I will probably continue the custom with my (future) kids...I think it conveys an appropriate amount of respect and familiarity.

I Grew up calling our neighbor Miss Imogene. She was my Mom's age, but at that time unmarried, and it was considered proper to give your elder a 'title' I suppose.... By the time I had married and had my son, Imogene had married, too... But I taught my son to call her Miss Imogene too, even though she was by then Mrs. Erich.

She's a lady, but not a Lady, if you see what I mean. Despite being the wife of a Prince, she won't be a Princess until he moves up to Prince of Wales, but in the meantime she is, as you say, the Duchess of Cambridge. The question of exactly what would happen if her husband hadn't been created Duke of Cambridge is an interesting one - it wouldn't have been "Prince William and Catherine", so perhaps in that instance it might have been "Prince William and Lady Catherine" - but since the monarch always gives her close family members titles when they marry the problem hasn't arisen so far. I'm not sure I know the answer but I'm quite sure there is one!

Google says that had William not been made a Duke, she would have been styled 'her royal highness'. I'm not sure if it's accurate or not. I did some more digging and I couldn't find anything official or legit (couldn't resist) that mentioned her being a lady in the sense of it being an official title, just to be sure. Her only title seems to be Duchess.

I remembering it being explained in school that 'lady' is a title given to a member of the aristocracy. That's why Diana was Lady Diana Spencer before she became the Princess of Wales - the Spencers are an old aristocratic family. The Middletons aren't members of the aristocracy, so technically Kate isn't a lady. I know it's somewhat more complicated than that, but if 'lady' isn't in the official list of Kate's titles, it's not correct. It's such a silly thing to get worked up over, but to me it's just so typical of Raquel. She's so busy idealising everything that she never pays attention to the details and she just runs her mouth without saying anything of worth. I have to take a chill pill!

When I came back from living abroad I really struggled to address my bosses by their first names ;) Not used to that at all. I still feel weird about it many years on.

Personally I would give Ms as a title but no one uses that on me. I am for first name usage so nieces/nephews do not have to call me Auntie, I am fine either way.

The other one I can think of that I get a lot is "comrade". Contrary to popular belief though that is not "Comrade [lastname]" unless I was in a lot of trouble. It works a bit like "mate" or "pal" except stronger so I could get a call from someone and answer "Hello?" and hear "Comrade. How's it going? Look, about Wednesday..." :D

My manager at work sits next to me and he gets a bit surprised because my phone has caller ID and I will sometimes absentmindedly see the ID, pick the phone up and say "Alright, comrade?" He knows I am active politically but still does a double take ;)

My English housemates use "mate" a lot. It is friendly and nice IMO. "Pal" in Scots is not automatically friendly...

Calling herself "Ms Raquel" sounds really funny to me because all of the teachers at preschools where I have worked are called "Ms Whoever" by the kids. It sounds like she thinks she is sooo grownup.

The kids at my school call me "Ms. Emily" but some of the little ones shorten it to just "Emily" or even just "Emi" and I don't really care!

Forgive me for being unladylike, but I shit better than Raquel writes movie reviews. When I was around her age (yes, when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I took a class called, "Art of the Film." In this class I learned to see movies just not as entertainment but also as commentary on culture and history, and how even the classics of yesteryear are still quite timely. And not only did this course turn me onto classic movies, but it also piqued my curiosity about indie movies, foreign films and documentaries. I also began to study the greats of film critics-Roger Ebert, Pauline Kael, etc.

In college I began to write movie reviews. I continue to write reviews both professionally and for my blog. Shit, my review of the guilty pleasure movie "Grease 2" deserves a freakin' Pulitzer compared to Raquel's dreck.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2010 ... ase-2.html

Google says that had William not been made a Duke, she would have been styled 'her royal highness'. I'm not sure if it's accurate or not. I did some more digging and I couldn't find anything official or legit (couldn't resist) that mentioned her being a lady in the sense of it being an official title, just to be sure. Her only title seems to be Duchess.

I remembering it being explained in school that 'lady' is a title given to a member of the aristocracy. That's why Diana was Lady Diana Spencer before she became the Princess of Wales - the Spencers are an old aristocratic family. The Middletons aren't members of the aristocracy, so technically Kate isn't a lady. I know it's somewhat more complicated than that, but if 'lady' isn't in the official list of Kate's titles, it's not correct. It's such a silly thing to get worked up over, but to me it's just so typical of Raquel. She's so busy idealising everything that she never pays attention to the details and she just runs her mouth without saying anything of worth. I have to take a chill pill!

Wives of men styled His Royal Highness become known as Her Royal Highness so the former Kate Middleton is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. They lose this style if they divorce.

Prince William's mother was Lady Diana Spencer before her marriage because she was the daughter of an Earl. Unmarried daugters of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls, and daughters married to commoners, are styled Lady Firstname Surname. So if she had married Mr John Smith she would have become Lady Diana Smith. As she married a man with his own title, she took the female form of it and became Princess of Wales.

If Prince William of Wales hadn't been created a Duke, the correct way to refer to his wife would have been Princess William of Wales (cf Princess Michael of Kent). In order to become Princess Catherine, the Queen would have to create her a Princess in her own right, which is unlikely.

This is probably more than anyone wanted to know about titles in the UK, I get a bit carried away with the intricacies sometimes :oops:

Anyhow... I quite enjoyed War Horse, although I didn't recoginse most of Miss Raquel's review.

Okay, I swear somebody bet she would be reviewing this movie. Like all of Miss Raquel's reviews, she uses a lot of words but you never actually learn a lot about the movie.

Highlights of this review are:

I know this movie is about the horse (which is TOTALLY legit by me!! I mean, horses...one of the reasons for living!)...

but seriously...every movie could have just a smidgen of romance in it.

Well, maybe there is...

if you've seen it, comment and tell me if you think that the last part (between Albert and the Grandfather) might have had a little hint of 'caring' in it ;) You should know what scene I'm talking about...(Yes, what is a movie without gushing romance?)

He's not bad-looking, either. ::coughs:: (Miss Raquel just got defrauded)

Mrs. Narracott is such a strong character. She's a very courageous woman. I love how she is a mother, encourager, hard-working, tough person...but doesn't come across as 'manly' in any way.(Wouldn't want a woman acting manly now would we? :roll: )

In War Horse...this guy is legit (Second time she uses this word. Not getting it)

He made me laugh hysterically in one scene :D If you've seen it, I'm sure you know which scene I speak of ;) (For those of us who haven't seen it, perhaps should should have bothered to explain more, but I guess that would be too hard)

I love Emilie!! She reminded me so much of myself!! haha It was kinda funny. (What, she's self-absorbed, neglects her horse and poses with duck lips?)

It made me ::shriek:: (in delight, of course)(God I hope you didn't literally shriek, but somehow I can see you doing it.)

I just thought it was so...so...legit. (yup, there's my word again :P)(I don't understand her word. Is she shortening legitimate? I don't get it at all.)

http://god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/

Oh, Raquel is so...silly.

I hate agreeing with her that Emilie was my favorite character in the movie though (and not just because she shares my name).

I do hope I got just a little bit more depth from the movie, though. I mean, you have WWI,

a horse caught in barbed wire :(

...and then you have Raquel who can just gush and giggle and shriek.

Guest Anonymous
In order to become Princess Catherine, the Queen would have to create her a Princess in her own right, which is unlikely.

They might give her a Princess title for producing a future heir to the throne. It would probably be prudent and conducive to sustaining the future of the Monarchy, but they will want to be sure about her first. I think she will be Kate Middleton in the press until, and probably long after, this happens.

Maybe the Revolution will come before that odious day arrives. :D

Forgive me for being unladylike, but I shit better than Raquel writes movie reviews. When I was around her age (yes, when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I took a class called, "Art of the Film." In this class I learned to see movies just not as entertainment but also as commentary on culture and history, and how even the classics of yesteryear are still quite timely. And not only did this course turn me onto classic movies, but it also piqued my curiosity about indie movies, foreign films and documentaries. I also began to study the greats of film critics-Roger Ebert, Pauline Kael, etc.

In college I began to write movie reviews. I continue to write reviews both professionally and for my blog. Shit, my review of the guilty pleasure movie "Grease 2" deserves a freakin' Pulitzer compared to Raquel's dreck.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2010 ... ase-2.html

In high school, we had a classic films class I took (I needed an elective). In college, we had a communications class that I had to take and I had to write actual movie reviews as well. It was actually fun and interesting. Raquel can't write movie reviews if her life depended on it right now. She needs to take a class and learn about films and write reviews.

They might give her a Princess title for producing a future heir to the throne. It would probably be prudent and conducive to sustaining the future of the Monarchy, but they will want to be sure about her first. I think she will be Kate Middleton in the press until, and probably long after, this happens.

I think they are trying to avoid any more comparisons to Diana....

One can but hope. And work. ;)

I finally made myself go look at the post, and, yup, typical teenager writing. She thinks every movie should have some romance? Yikes.

I personally liked this comment:

Jenna K. said...

Ooooh...I saw it on the opening day here in TX :D It was AWESOME!!! And I cried like almost the whole time except for like in between parts...hehe... Horse lover too :D

January 12, 2012 7:41 AM

Wow. There's some fine work, there

Archived