IGNORED

FIsh With Trish Shaming Women Over Their Clothing Choices

debrand

Ooooh! Fish With Trish Meets People of Walmart is an idea rife with comic possibilities!

2839.jpg

"Uh-oh! UH-OH! Ma'am? MA'AM? You must not have noticed that your . . .skirt . . .blouse . . . red thing . . . whatever -- it just looks like EVERYTHNG shrank somehow since you left home!

Ma'am? Why are you shrugging? Eeek, don't shrug -- your top is slipping down!

Glad to see you are headcovering, though, sister."

Headcovering! Bwah!!! thoughtful, do I already owe you a pizza? Because if so, now I owe you two.

I was about to post that Trisha didn't confront the leering men bcz she'd've had to haul butt outof the cocoon of her car--but now it turns out she approaches Muslims & Buddhists on their own turfs?! Wow & whoa ...

Curiously, I was tempted to do a Trisha this morning at church. I attend a conservativecongregation of the semi-conservative Lutheran Church. I've been pleasantly surprised to see a couple of women on the plate-passing teams & there was one this a. m.

The problem? Well, MY problem: she is in her 50s, very trim... And she was wearing bright yellow capris with a cheery pink golf shirt, tucked in and belted with pastel green. Standing next to the male usher n his Sunday suit, I'm very sorry to be severe upon a member of my own sex!, but she just set back the cause by about 5 years, IMHO.

I won't say a thing to her, of course. But I was as dismayed -- in my own way and for my own agenda -- as Trish was.

Hope this made sense, somehow. Thanks for permitting me a sad rant.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked at Sonic(which is the place with skating carhops she is taking about) and let me say the carhops live on tips.They make no money, so if the girl was wearing the shorts for bigger tips, good for her. The carhops I worked will were all young, single moms in bad relationships with loser boyfriends.Instead of clamping her pearls she could have given the girl a big tip which would have helped her out more than a stupid opinion.

A good response "My my, aren't you all self-righteous and judgmental. I bet you brag and gossip too." (all of which, she does on her blog)

I wonder if she sill post my comment. I thanked her for turning people away from Christ and toward atheism.

If someone said something about how low my shirt was, I would flash them.

^ This.

I consider myself to be quite modest in my dress. But that isn't anything to do with any religious convictions. It's just my choice. If that woman said anything of the like to me, I'd be likely to get my boobs out just to wind her up.

The problem? Well, MY problem: she is in her 50s, very trim... And she was wearing bright yellow capris with a cheery pink golf shirt, tucked in and belted with pastel green. Standing next to the male usher n his Sunday suit, I'm very sorry to be severe upon a member of my own sex!, but she just set back the cause by about 5 years, IMHO.

I'm not sure what the problem is. That she was dresssed more casually? Is this like when people comment on how the Duggar boys dress up nice for speaking engagements but the girls seem to be wearing their normal clothes? If not, please enlighten me. I'm very curious.

RE children and body parts: My little brother was obessesd with butts. He would walk around telling everyone, "You have a big butt." My mom said this was because, at his height, that was all he ever saw and of course they all looked big to him because he was so small.

She couldn't have walked over to the guys, and told THEM to stop being disrespectful?!?!?! That whole thing makes me so mad, I'm tempted to write this whole comment in all-caps.

THIS!

Headcovering! Bwah!!! thoughtful, do I already owe you a pizza? Because if so, now I owe you two.

I was about to post that Trisha didn't confront the leering men bcz she'd've had to haul butt outof the cocoon of her car--but now it turns out she approaches Muslims & Buddhists on their own turfs?! Wow & whoa ...

Curiously, I was tempted to do a Trisha this morning at church. I attend a conservativecongregation of the semi-conservative Lutheran Church. I've been pleasantly surprised to see a couple of women on the plate-passing teams & there was one this a. m.

I won't say a thing to her, of course. But I was as dismayed -- in my own way and for my own agenda -- as Trish was.

Hope this made sense, somehow. Thanks for permitting me a sad rant.

Is her name Buffy, MJB? :D

I had to read this article a couple of times because at first, I thought she was talking about how she ran into a girl whose breast had decided to come out and say hi to the world (I'm in college, it's not unheard of, especially on Friday nights after the girl in question has had a few), and that she was trying to say "Uh.... you had a wardrobe malfunction, might want to cover that up before you get ticketed for indecent exposure."

But no, I realized after a while that the girl was just wearing a low-cut top. WTF?

I'm not sure what the problem is. That she was dresssed more casually? Is this like when people comment on how the Duggar boys dress up nice for speaking engagements but the girls seem to be wearing their normal clothes? If not, please enlighten me. I'm very curious.

Yes, I'm curious too.

She couldn't have walked over to the guys, and told THEM to stop being disrespectful?!?!?! That whole thing makes me so mad, I'm tempted to write this whole comment in all-caps.

Why would she do that? Men are not in control of themselves and it its women's job not to defraud them!! (snarky snark)

Trish has inspired me to write a mini-manual.

Dealing with Dissent: A Christian Woman Blogger's Step-by-Step Guide

1) Ask for the original biological sex of the people criticizing you. Don't ask about "gender," though: that's a concept straight from women's studies departments and Satan.

2) Tell the ones who identify as male that your blog is for ladies only. This doesn't mean that you should ignore Christian male readers who post complimentary things, however; on the contrary, you should fawn over them.

3) Assume that anyone who refuses to answer the question is male. Watch out for the ones who will try to trip you up by claiming that their sex is irrelevant to the arguments they make. Jesus knew better than to listen to the so-called "logic" of the Pharisees, and so should you.

4) Ignore the ones who claim to be female. Nobody on the Internet is female.

5) If some dissenters from Step 5 provide evidence of being female that you can't ignore, inform them that your blog is for ladies. This step is particularly effective if you happen to be blogging about the need for Christian sisterhood. (It's more important than ever now that Pagan, Muslim, and Jewish women have the audacity to participate in events like the Circle of Moms contest -- as if their blasphemy counts as "faith.")

6) Thank supporting commenters individually -- even if they only write a four-word sentence like "thanks for this post!" -- so that you annoy the people who wrote substantial responses only to be ignored. Don't bother checking for veiled sarcasm, though: that just gets in the way of producing more Christian blogging.

7) Promise that you'll post a lengthy response to your critics that will show why they're completely wrong.

8) Repost old photos of your children and pets for the next several days. Recipes are another fine choice.

You're done! It won't be long before people stop disagreeing with you altogether -- a sure sign that you and Jesus have won.

Knowing I amused someone is all the reward I need. :D

To O Latin and NotTHATkind, the lady's outfit was really casual and especially so next to the gent in his suit; to boot, her booty was - just as the extremists fret - really outlined in her capris; I didn't see any men dying of suppressed excitation, and didn't expect to ;) ...

The point I should've made initially was this: We women in the LCMS have been relegated to Altar Guild, fund-rai$ing (a LOT of $$) and children's Sunday School teaching for all these years. Given even a little gravitas in the service, it behooves us to be above reproach. If I - a closet-liberal church member - thought, "Oh, please" at the very casual outfit, I guarantee you that the ones who still accept without question that "the Bible clearly states that women should not be allowed to be pastors" looked at the lady's informal dress & were more convinced than ever that it's true: Women just don't have what it takes to be pastors."

Does it help to understand that this congregation uses a traditional liturgy, that its officiants wear the cassock & surplice, its acolyte similarly is robed, and all the male ushers/plate-passers were in their best JC Penney Sunday-go-to- meeting suits?

In sum, we have to dress the part, even if it's a very homely part, if we wanna be taken seriously.

That's my HO & I'm stickin' to it. :)

Another imagined Walmart encounter:

2815.jpg

"UH OH!

Miss, you . . . um . . . how could you not know? Miss, I can see . . . your . . .

BOX!"

:::faints:::

Another imagined Walmart encounter:

2815.jpg

"UH OH!

Miss, you . . . um . . . how could you not know? Miss, I can see . . . your . . .

BOX!"

:::faints:::

:character-beavisbutthead:

+ INFINITY!

Frankly, if I see someone whose shirt seems unintentionally low or accidentally unbuttoned, I just lean over and go "Hey, your blouse came undone" only because I'd want someone to tell me, same as I'd want to someone to point it out if my fly was unzipped. If it seems intentional, I just mind my own damn business. No panic attacks necessary in either situation.

I occasionally have panic attacks over the most bizarre things...the light being turned off when I want it on, for example. Sometimes, for no apparent reason at all. But I can honestly say that the way other people dress has never caused a panic attack for me. I can't even comprehend that. :?

If a complete stranger walked up to me and told me to look at my shirt and it was exactly how I left it I'd open another button and say thanks. I may add "bless your heart" just to really drive it home.

I someone made a big deal about cleavage, I would be so sarcastic and make a huge deal out of it. "What? A boob?!?!?! I think that's the seventh sign of the Apocalypse! Everybody run for cover - a boob has been spotted in public! It's such a horrible tragedy, I bet it will make the national news. I can see the headlines now 'Human Breast Exposed in Public; Thousands Dead' What a tragedy."

Ugh, sometimes I just want to shake these people and tell them "Body parts exist; get over it already".

To O Latin and NotTHATkind, the lady's outfit was really casual and especially so next to the gent in his suit; to boot, her booty was - just as the extremists fret - really outlined in her capris; I didn't see any men dying of suppressed excitation, and didn't expect to ;) ...

The point I should've made initially was this: We women in the LCMS have been relegated to Altar Guild, fund-rai$ing (a LOT of $$) and children's Sunday School teaching for all these years. Given even a little gravitas in the service, it behooves us to be above reproach. If I - a closet-liberal church member - thought, "Oh, please" at the very casual outfit, I guarantee you that the ones who still accept without question that "the Bible clearly states that women should not be allowed to be pastors" looked at the lady's informal dress & were more convinced than ever that it's true: Women just don't have what it takes to be pastors."

Does it help to understand that this congregation uses a traditional liturgy, that its officiants wear the cassock & surplice, its acolyte similarly is robed, and all the male ushers/plate-passers were in their best JC Penney Sunday-go-to- meeting suits?

In sum, we have to dress the part, even if it's a very homely part, if we wanna be taken seriously.

That's my HO & I'm stickin' to it. :)

To me, this come across as saying that women only deserve equality if they conform to what men want from them. In reality, the men (and other women) who judge this woman unqualified based on her clothing are in the wrong here. It is not this woman's job to personally make sure that others don't act bigoted towards her. Yes, they will act like asses toward her because of the clothing, but they are wrong to do it and you are supporting their wrongness by blaming the woman instead.

Do you have any idea how many times superficial things like this have been used to deny equality? "Oh, we can't hire those people because they don't speak properly (and properly is defined as whatever the powerful people use)" Or during the 80s when women had to wear manly clothes to have any chance of success because feminine clothing was considered and indicator of inferiority. Yes, people do judge by superficial qualities and it may seem inevitable, but it is still wrong to blame the person who doesn't conform.

MamaJunebug, that makes sense. I guess I've just gotten so used to jeans in church (even though I grew up in the 90's and early 00's wearing dresses to church because it was a formal service and girls, especially little girls, didn't wear pants to church) that I just didn't see what the problem was. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's the same in my church. The male ushers are ALWAYS in suits (although they're pretty much the only ones) while the female ushers are dressed slightly more casually, although I think they're usually more dressed up than the women you described. But they also tend to be older and the older folks are more likely to dress up anyway. It's the younger crowd that shows up in jeans.

I blew it last week when wearing a stretchy lace tank under an open blouse. It appeared very modest and not only covered the girls but went almost up to my throat. So I was a little surprised when catching someone's run away toddler that baby girl had pulled the top on my tank down to my waist. :shock: Everyone at swimming lessons got to see the girls in their lacy bra covered in DDD glory. :o If anyone had come to tell me that my boobies were hanging out for all to see I might have just have thought F' it and took the damn top off and sat there in my bra. As it was 3 other larger chested ladies came to ask where I got such a cute bra, so sometimes showing your boobies helps others out.

Archived