IGNORED

What's your religion? (Or lack thereof)

Soldier of the One

I'm complicated. I come from the south so the only real churches are the baptist churches. I go to one because it pleases my grandma and I really like the people. I however don't believe what they do and I don't believe in organized religion. I think it seperates people. I believe in God and I don't think he's as uptight as the religious folk make him out to be. I don't think satan is real and I don't believe in Hell.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't suffer any kind of religious indoctrination beyond watered-down Catholicism (my mom claims that through her 8 years of Catholic school with daily masses she went to enough for not only the rest of her life but for my brother and I's as well. I guess that's one thing I can be thankful to her for. HA ;-)) After the maternal unit's parents died when I was 13 (not together, 6 months apart, both my parents also happened to be later-in-life children) I refused to attend mass with her any longer and she took it in stride, and eventually came up with the rationale above. My dad was raised Baptist but his parents largely gave up on dragging him and his 3 older brothers to church by the time he was old enough to even notice, and he occasionally attended Catholic mass with us. Even when we went with my grandparents they were fond of sneaking out after communion so we could beat the rush to a local eatery.

I don't have that built in belief in GOD that a lot of people seem to have. I see the whole question of whether or not something exists that is beyond the possibility of me to perceive as more or less a pointless question. It either does or does not and either way I'm going to continue to live my life more or less the same. Nonetheless I have seen religious practices benefit people I care about and have a lot of respect for people who do believe and do so in a positive, life-affirming way and don't seek to impose their believes on others.

Cradle Lutheran. Neither of my parents were raised Lutheran, and I was encouraged to attend church with my friends, who had religious leanings along a wide spectrum. I always prefer to look to the commonalities in different religious traditions, rather than our differences, since I believe that it is in the commonalities that we will be able to find the real truth-- not the man-twisted truth. I currently attend a PC(USA) church, but am equally comfortable in Episcopal and Methodist services as well, which I attend not infrequently. I enjoy learning about non-Christian religious beliefs and history, and that learning definitely colors my interpretation of Christian theology.

I'm an atheist. I was a rather confused Christian until I was 18, when all of a sudden I realised I didn't believe in any of the jesus-stuff they'd taught us in school (long story, but the UK does not have separation of church and state.) I was also less than impressed when I realised the Jesus most Christians I knew believed in didn't seem to vaguely resemble the Jesus that was in the Bible, and I supposed as a non Christian this must be my misreading. Nowadays I don't think it is, but there's something I just don't get.

Definitely not fundie atheist, Dawkins style or what have ya. I have difficulties with those guys (and they tend to be guys).

I was raised Christian (protestant). I was forced to go to church and youth group every Sunday. I never really bought into it. I mostly attended these things just to socialize with my friends. I lived in Massachusetts. We have a large Wiccan population. I became fascinated with Salem and that whole culture. I loved learning about different types of pagans, spells, etc. even though this was at odds with my christian upbringing. As soon as I turned 18 I stopped going to church and have been doing my own thing. While I respect religion, I consider myself agnostic.

I was just in Salem last week(my new avatar is from the witches memorial). Felt vibes like crazy from that cemetary and I know I have been there before.(even though I haven't been in this life :))

I'm Muslim. It's hard because I live in an area without ANY Muslims, and of course no mosque and the majority of the people here are very ignorant of Islam. "

Sunnichick, that has to seriously suck. I am sorry :( :(

One of my best friends in high school had the exact same thing. There was a mosque but even though was just a disused place people in my neighbourhood were opposed to it. There were so many problems with the conflicts that were caused by local Muslims' (far from extremist) beliefs. On Ramadan people used to wave food in her face and racists who lived in our town caused her hassle and aggression.

I don't agree with religion but I also hate what happened to her. Some atheists try to present it as the victory of "intelligent, nonreligious people seeing past the woo". That wasn't how she experienced it. It was real racial and religion based bigotry driving her farther from people who all seemed to hate her and her culture. In her shoes, I wouldn't have been anything like as kind and friendly and (sadly) resigned as she was.

I'm a Christian of the Lutheran tradition: lifelong member of the ELCA. Many of my beliefs are traditional, mainstream protestant--Christ is God's son and died to save us, we are born sinners and need this saving grace, etc. Some are more nontraditional: I don't believe in hell; I believe we will all be in heaven one day and that we'll see Hitler, Pol Pot, Osama bin Laden and all of history's bad guys there too. I like that my particular religious tradition doesn't much busy itself with telling us how people ought to run their lives. I look to Christ as an example for living, but I have to say the most Christlike human I've ever personally known was a Theravadan Buddhist.

Hindu.

Go emmyfair! If it's too much to answer questions on top of that brave declaration, I'll understand, but if you feel comfortable, what is a green witch?

Hugs Sunnichick31. It's really hard to be alone and that's just horrible you don't feel safe. I hope you can move soon. Want to share anything beautiful about Islam here? Maybe the conception of God or something? I don't know anything about your religion yet and am very interested. Maybe you can recommend a good introductory read?

Soldier of the One, what's yours?

I used to be a very devout Roman Catholic. Later I switched to a more liberal independent Catholic Church (one not under the Pope) and was even ordained a priest in that church. After 10 years of active ministry, I resigned from active priesthood and left the church. Now I consider myself a cultural Catholic, but tending more toward agnosticism. The rare times I do go to church, it is to a Ukrainian Catholic church (like Eastern Orthodox except in communion with the Pope). I go because I have friends there and I like the ritual.

As for the Roman Catholic Church, I have lost all respect for the Pope and bishops. I hate their response to the clergy sexual abuse crisis (I'm a survivor of abuse by a monk) and their meddling in politics around the world.

I am sure this has been done before (and I apologize in advance), but:

What's your religion (or lack thereof?) and how do you practice it?

I'm curious to know what the FJ crowd believe (or not) and whether we have some more exotic religious traditions among us. Thanks!

Atheist since early childhood.

I have been raised in some sort of catholic fashion, convent school and the like.

My parents had a mixed marriage, mum was a 'devout' catholic (French) and my father was, officially baptised church of England (his mother was British) but not religious and granted my mums faith. He didn't object to us going to catholic schools, because at that time in my country, catholic schools were considered to be very good and prestigeous.

Whatever the nuns (and mum) told me about faith, the holy trinity, sin and all the bs I couldn't care less, I still don't.

Not a religious bone in my body.

Quick answer: Christian

Longer answer: raised Church of Christ, have been over the course of my life after childhood: agnostic, Buddhist, Pagan, Methodist, independent Catholic. I currently attend a nondenominational church which has a contemporary worship service. I like the music and the choir but feel it's spiritually kind of fluffy.

Almost entirely athiest (grew up Lutheran). I'm in the "I don't know" crowd; I'd like to think there is a higher power watching over us and the afterlife is a wonderful idea, but if I had a god he wouldn't be the fundie/dominionist/asshole god who shits on everyone that doesn't think the same way. I don't think we're alone in the universe - if we can go to the moon who knows what our neighbors out there can do?

My one big issue - please don't laugh - is that I believe in ghosts and hauntings. I don't know if its really a spirit or soul, or simply energy trapped from a past time, or if its just old houses settling. I've never seen a "ghost", but in my old house there was alot of crazy noises when noone was there, doors opening/closing, ect. I have a really hard time with this because I am an athiest but I have had haunting-like experiences and I can't wrap my head around it.

Christian. Baptist to specify denomination. I've studied the beliefs of most other denoms and have found Baptists align closest to what I believe. I could probably be considered fundy lite based on my church by FJ member but true fundies wouldn't think I am.

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist (so, fundie lite), and made to attend Sabbath School every Saturday (which I mostly liked, since it was an opportunity for me to see my friends). I always hated, even as a kid, how restrictive our religion was. For instance, I attended a non-denominational Christian school for 5th and 6th grade, and one weekend, there was to be a special sleepover in the school library hosted by a few teachers and the principal's wife. I wasn't allowed to attend because it was on Friday night and conflicted with Sabbath. We stopped going to church when we moved from my hometown when I was in my teens, although my parents still adhered to the whole "You're not allowed to do anything remotely fun on Saturdays because Jesus disapproves" thing for a few more years. Now, as an adult, I don't subscribe to any one religion exclusively, though as far as beliefs go I am certainly no longer an SDA. I guess I identify as agnostic if anything. I'm happy to have finally registered here. I've been a lurker for awhile, and this board is so interesting. :)

I'm Agnostic, although I was raised a Roman Catholic, and I even went through most of the basic sacraments.

I also have a different belief about God and Satan. If God does exist, I don't think he's the "good guy", I think he just symbolizes a pure, chaste, way of life. Satan isn't "evil" or the "bad guy" either. I believe he symbolizes an indulgent, more "on-the-edge" lifestyle. Most people fall in-between the two lifestyles. I don't know, it seems a little silly, but that's how I believe it to be.

I'm a from-the-cradle Catholic Mutt. My father is Byzantine Catholic and that's how I was baptized and mainly raised. See teddybear's post for a description - this is just another branch. We follow the pope, but we like incense and chanting. My mother is Roman Catholic, though, so I also attended mass with her family quite often growing up and nowadays, although I officially belong to a Byzantine church, I sometimes refer to myself as "bi-ritual." Even though I'm a practicing Catholic (my priest may not consider me one when I go a month without attending liturgy... :roll: ) the Pope would be very upset with me if he ever met me in person and we got to talking actual theology.

I'm a from-the-cradle Catholic Mutt. My father is Byzantine Catholic and that's how I was baptized and mainly raised. See teddybear's post for a description - this is just another branch. We follow the pope, but we like incense and chanting. My mother is Roman Catholic, though, so I also attended mass with her family quite often growing up and nowadays, although I officially belong to a Byzantine church, I sometimes refer to myself as "bi-ritual." Even though I'm a practicing Catholic (my priest may not consider me one when I go a month without attending liturgy... :roll: ) the Pope would be very upset with me if he ever met me in person and we got to talking actual theology.

All right! Another Easterner! I started going to the Ukrainian Catholic church back when I was still an independent Catholic priest. I had a very dear friend, an elderly Ukrainian lady, that I promised to take to Liturgy at least once a month. I got to know the priest and the other people in the parish and fell in love with them. I still go to Liturgy every couple of months, cause I love the singing and the ritual. I also enjoy talking to the people there.

Hindu.

Go emmyfair! If it's too much to answer questions on top of that brave declaration, I'll understand, but if you feel comfortable, what is a green witch?

Hugs Sunnichick31. It's really hard to be alone and that's just horrible you don't feel safe. I hope you can move soon. Want to share anything beautiful about Islam here? Maybe the conception of God or something? I don't know anything about your religion yet and am very interested. Maybe you can recommend a good introductory read?

Soldier of the One, what's yours?

I'll recommend an intro book to Islam if you recommend an intro read for Hinduism :) I think the book The Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Islam is pretty good. It's very basic, but it gives good info.

I was raised Greek Orthodox and still am, but with a bit of Pantheism; my grandmother was more of a Jehovah Witness who grew up during the Greek Civil War. She was a bit of fundie but not in a aggressive/angry way but had a very black-and-white worldview. When I was with her she would always tell me bible stories and religious experiences and miraculous events. I use to watch a Kid's Bible cartoon series called 'Superbook' it was about 3 kids who find a magical talking bible that takes them back in time (with a life-size talking robot) and witnessed the events. Then I went saw the old BBC version of the Chronicles of Narnia, I felt exhilarated, that's when I became interested in mythology, fairy tales and I believed that there were spirits living in the trees, the air and clouds, mountains and the universe in general. My grandmother would find this appalling (in a dramatic way, she was a bit eccentric) and often try to stop me from reading or watching things that involved, what she called 'magic and idolatry' (even the Superbook cartoon) and would try to take me to her group meeting or whatever to take my mind off of those 'idolatries' as she would call it.

My Step-Grandfather, my mother's step-father, he was sort of an 'Atheist' Jerk (I've had a lot of characters in my family so my family stories often sound weird) He was supportive of the Communist side when he was a boy (He was one of the children that evacuated into the mountains and then taken away into Communist countries) but he also did a lot traveling after the war ended. He always claimed that he was an 'Atheist' (I didn't believe it because he was a bit of a drunk and wasn't much convincing) He too never liked me thinking about fairy tales or reading about Gods and Goddesses. He would always try to teach me how to hunt animals (I do not like hunting and I am not ashamed to admit it), one time when I was 14 he tried to sneak me in to a Strip club/Whore House in Greece, but luckily my dad came just in the nick of time. Yeah, my Step-Grandfather was kind of a hedonistic sugar-daddy, he did had some anti-religious bias about him but I never believed he was an atheist. Though I never understood why he wanted me to stop thinking about other Gods besides the Abrahamic God? perhaps he believed all gods were man-made and the only Pagan Gods he knew was the Greek Gods, and they too have had their dark sides.

I was just in Salem last week(my new avatar is from the witches memorial). Felt vibes like crazy from that cemetary and I know I have been there before.(even though I haven't been in this life :))

Salem is very near, and dear to my heart. It's very magical (no pun intended). I wish I could live there, but's it very expensive.

St. Paul's Episcopal Church or Unity of Fayetteville when I feel the need for actual a live attendance. Unity Church of Wimberly TX is my church of choice via podcast. I just love the internets, it makes attending church much more simple...and comfy.

:D

Born and sort of raised ELCA Lutheran, but my parents stopped going after I was confirmed and Dad hasn't gone back. Mom died in '98. Many of my dad's family have gone fundie-lite. He calls them Holy Rollers.

I go with my daughters, and found a wonderful, welcoming, loving church. A great community. I go because I want to.

Since I live in a small college town, it's a very liberal congregation of a liberal church. We have gay and women deacons and no one cares what we wear or how we cut our hair or whether or not we cover our heads (though if it's a cute hat, someone will compliment you!) We have yoga classes in our fellowship hall and our pastor holds "Theology on Tap" weekly at the local brewpub. When we're sharing the peace, most of us hug.

My husband was raised ELCA, but his parents were very hippie dippie free to be you and me encouraging types, so his mom took him to meet Buddhist monks when he was a teenager and he's been a Buddhist for at least 20 years. He doesn't go to church with me often, but he's welcomed when he does and he's respected for his beliefs, even by our head pastor.

I believe there are many paths to God, and not one of us has it all figured out. I believe God is love and wants that from us. I try, I fail, but I have faith that I'm still OK with him. And I am grateful.

That being said, FreeJinger is like when you drive by a car accident and everyone slows down and rubbernecks. But with more laughter and funny pictures! :D

I am Lutheran but have also some buddhists in my family. my boyfriends family is quite catholic and I am living in a catholic region and city a lot of people would like to call me a pagan ;-)

I'll recommend an intro book to Islam if you recommend an intro read for Hinduism :) I think the book The Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Islam is pretty good. It's very basic, but it gives good info.

Cool Sunnichick, thanks! I'll check it out. I think religioustolerance.org does a good introduction: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hinduism.htm.

Archived