IGNORED

What's your religion? (Or lack thereof)

Soldier of the One

I took that belief net quiz, and apparently I am one hundred percent UU :?

My other two choices for the quiz were neo-pagan and liberal quaker, which is good, because:

I am a generic pagan (I usually say hedge pagan) who looks to druidry for some of her beliefs and ethics, and I'm thinking about joining the quakers.....

I love learning about other religions though - I might go along to a UU service to see what it is like....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anglican born, bred and practising. Actual belief fluctuates.

I shall have to adopt "Church of the Holy Choir Practice".

posting to the zombie thread...

Short answer:

Christian. seeking

Long answer:

Raised fundie Medium-light. Never been comfortable without faith, never have found faith easy. I always found it some sort of intellectual gymnastics--but I couldn't manage to be atheist either. On all of the places where religion meets science/politics, I end up on the non-traditional end--I'm an evolutionary biologist, feminist, etc who is pro-gay marriage, etc.

Born and raised Roman Catholic--tried very hard to believe in the dogma (virgin birth, resurrection, etc.) for many years. Until I was in my 50s, I tried to be the model of a dedicated but dissenting Catholic (feminist, believed in marriage equality)--but finally realized I could only be my true spiritual self as a UU. I joined UU instead of a liberal Christian denomination because I did not want to pay lip service to the divinity of Christ--his teachings are the core of my beliefs, though.

My family--parents are gone and only sisters are left--is cool with it, and my daughter and son-in-law coincidentally morphed into UU when I did, and had a UU infant dedication for their baby.

Atheist in terms of belief, but since the Church of England is the established church I tend to view myself as socially C of E by default. (Very much in favour of nice old churches, organ music, country vicars, Hymns Ancient & Modern, etc.)

Grew up Roman Catholic, oldest brother is a priest. I'm now a Hellenic Polytheist, in a dedicated patron relationship with Dionysos and Hestia. This I describe as faciliating drunken parties and taking care of the hangover in the morning with handmade bread.

I was raised Lutheran (ELCA) but since there were only two churches in our little town, I think my parents picked the Lutheran church because they liked the looks of it, rather than because of a real adherence to Lutheran tenets. I always enjoyed church; enjoyed the liturgy, the music, was in and out of youth choir and then, later, adult choir. I enjoyed celebrating the seasons of the church - Easter, Pentecost, Advent, etc. and the focus on a different part of Jesus' life for each one. As a teenager, though, I was expected by my parents (mostly my mother) to teach Sunday School, teach Bible School, volunteer on various committees, etc. I think I had church overload. I didn't feel like my own spiritual needs were taken care of and my own spiritual knowledge was growing, but I was expected to be a Sunday School teacher to a bunch of little kids? Too much responsibility too soon.

I don't go to church now. I have problems with some of the theology. I believe in God and believe that God created the world and created us, although I doubt that he managed it in six 24-hr days. I do not believe that things in the Bible are always to be taken literally. I believe the books of the Bible were written by men to reach a specific audience with a specific message for each book. I do not believe that God sat and dictated everything verbatim to the Bible authors. Therefore, I have trouble with the argument that something is true because the Bible says it is. I don't pray because I don't feel like God is going to answer prayers. I feel like God works through nature and natural processes to make things happen or not happen. We are supposed to use our brains and best judgment. My actions and choices will, in turn, cause things to happen or not happen to me. And sometimes, bad shit just happens, no matter how you try to avoid it. I think that Jesus was, somehow, from God, although I don't think that Jesus is the only way to God. Buddha may be a way also, Mohammed may be a way, whoever the Hindu gods are may be a way. None of those are MY way, but I would not presume to tell a Buddhist, Muslim, or Hindu that their path to God is wrong and false. A person's actions will give a more accurate picture of whether their spiritual path is beneficial to them and others.

I don't think I believe that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead. I don't really understand this anyway. Why would his death have been necessary? I know the proper answer is that - it's faith, you don't have to get it; you just have to believe. But I can't, for whatever reason. I also don't understand the phrase, "having a personal relationship with Jesus". That makes no sense to me either. I don't feel like I have a personal relationship with God, Jesus, Satan, the Holy Spirit, or whoever else there is.

Sometimes I wish I could go to church simply for the music and ritual of it. (As a child, I always secretly envied the Catholics for their rituals. The Lutheran church didn't have nearly enough ceremony and ritual to suit me. :) ) But I would feel like a hypocrite if I went to church now because I simply don't believe enough of the same things as the other people in the pews supposedly do. Too uncomfortable.

Well, this was nice to get this all down in one place. I've never delineated all those things about my belief system before and put everything into words. It just sort of rolls around in my head but I've never really spelled it out like that before. Thanks, FJ!

I grew up an atheist and converted to Catholicism in college. I got into traditional Catholicism (think fisheaters) mostly because I loved the beauty of the Latin Mass. I still go every Sunday and holy day but there is a lot of cognitive dissonance since I'm pretty much a closet agnostic leaning toward atheism. My husband still believes and his faith is very important to him, so I go mostly to make him happy.

Grew up Southern Baptist In Name Only, went to churches that were actually Southern Baptist but less crazy than the one that ran the high school my mother went to. Ditched Southern Baptism and everything related at 13. Ditched Christianity altogether at 14. am now atheist.

Raised Catholic, but my father was Catholic and my mother was Presbyterian. I think at first she still attended church, but by the time I was old enough to notice (around age 7 or so?), she apparently decided she would rather stay home by herself on Sunday mornings while pop took all us kids to church :D My dad believed that children should have some spiritual structure, and since he was raised Catholic, that would be good enough for us too. My parents demonstrated the spirit of religion, which is "do unto others as you would have done to yourself" and basically showed unconditional love and respect while at the same time expecting certain code of behavior from us kids.

At some point, it gradually dawned on me that I didn't agree with a lot of the Catholic church's teachings, and that I was just going through the motions on Sunday mornings. I now consider myself a former Catholic. I am not of any particular religion. I definitely believe in a higher power, but I don't really believe in a God that watches our every action or is available to listen to our every prayer request. Seems to me that whatever diety there is, is a distant one who basically lets things happen as they will.

However, I will admit that old habits sometimes never die. When I am in a real pickle, or a sudden burst of fear, I still offer up a prayer to Jesus or Mary to help me. Yep, I do. And it makes me feel better.

Raised holiday-Catholic. My parents are totally non-practicing now, but still identify themselves as Catholic. My husband and I went through RCIA in college and were confirmed so we could have a full mass during our wedding.

We left the church shortly after we were married though- we questioned too many of the beliefs and couldn't get past all the religious tradition and obligation. Some friends suggested we come with them to their non-denominational Christian church. After one service, we knew that was the right fit for us. We learned more about the bible in one service than we did in years an years in the Catholic church. The church emphasized serving the community and an authentic relationship with Christ, not religion and obligation. We've moved, but now attend a similar church. We have very contemporary music, not at all Fundie, but still completely bible-based messages.

Raised Church of Scotland/Presbyterian (PCUSA liberal church). DH is a cradle Episcopalian and didn't want to leave the ceremony behind so I joined the Episcopalian church. Very liberal, open and affirming group. Got some great friends. Not sure about the theology- I'm pretty agnostic but that doesn't seem to matter in our church- but like the social C of E person, I like the ceremony and hymns and familiar words.

Strict Catholic with fundie leanings.

I am a cradle Catholic. Truly considered becoming a Nun before I was married. THe Nuns I know are cool. Forward thinking, helping others, very involved in social programs.

Joined ELCA Lutheran for a few years when I was married.

Got divorced due to abuse and started attending a charasmatic, non denominational church. Really enjoyed it and some of their teachings made sense to me. I learned to read the bible and even bought my own! They were very welcoming to a newly divorced single parent. But, the women dressed fundie, they did the side hug thing, no alcohol, no communion, no caffeine.

Missed the comfort and rituals of Catholicism and switched back.

So, in my home life we are Catholic, but lean towards fundie.

My parents were agnostics/atheist but we had a typical cultural evangelical lutheran upbringing. We go to church only when we attend to the funerals, weddings and christenings. I think I am atheist in cultural view, meaning that religions should not have anything to say in society in law level and such even though I am a huge supporter of freedom of religion.

I don't see myself as an atheist. Before I met by now-husband I was converting to judaism but because the local (very small) Jewish population is orthodox and for many other reasons (one of the most important being my husband who didn't want to convert to judaism) I never completed my conversion. I think I might be called a Noahide nowadays. I lean to judaism strongly but I don't plan to complete conversion in the near future. This feels right for me. Secularist sharing a huge part of humanist worldview with time and again agnostic leanings, ugh, what a mess :D

I'll answer since this topic keeps popping up. :) Raised Catholic, still identify as such, though I also identify as a radical feminist, so I am actively engaged in church reform movements. I also hang on to some of my pagan spirituality and practice. I worship with a community of ecumenical Benedictine women, who graciously baptized my kiddo. So go figure that out.

Archived