IGNORED

What's your religion? (Or lack thereof)

Soldier of the One

I was raised Roman Catholic, went through a long atheist period (granted, mine really was more of a teenage 'eff you, Mom and Dad!'). I tried going to a UU church when I still lived in the US but felt quite unwelcomed, as I'm not married with a family.

Now, I'm just me. :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to say agnostic but I took the Belief-O-Matic quiz and found out I am UU and mostly Neo-Pagan, which shocked me because I'm not into Wicca. I thought I was going to be a secular humanist but I'm far from that according to the percentages.

Irish-Catholic dad, Moroccan-Jewish mom, baptised Catholic because I was a preemie and was going to die and go to :roll: :!: pergatory if I wasn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Basically, I'm a witch.

I have been this way for many years, since I was quite young. 6-7 Years Old. Was raised to believe whatever I wanted to believe but my mother wasn't too happy about my religious choices when I was 13, so I played it down a lot. Came out of the broom-closet ;) about 2 years ago.

I was born, raised and educated as a Roman Catholic. I left the church because of the birth control issue. In fact I walked out of church, never to voluntary return after out pastor told us not to worry about over population because Jesus would return and again perform the miracle of the loaves of fishes.

I am currently a secular humanist if anything. I do not believe that God interferes in the lives of humans.

I loved how Piers Anthony in his book series Incantations of Immorality described God as being so fascinated with the beatific vision the he didn't have time to care for mortals.

I was raised Lutheran (first ELCA, later Missouri Synod), spent a couple of years and baptized as a Southern Baptist, returned to the Lutheran church, stopped attending regularly but was made to watch a well-known televangelist as our family's version of church. After we stopped watching, I haven't belonged to a church since, though I occasionally attend a neighborhood MSLC.

I know I'm somewhere within Christianity. Not Catholic because there is too much I disagree with. Based on what I've read, I'd call myself a nondenominational Protestant. If I had to pick one denomination, I'd probably go with MSLC. Interestingly, the Beliefnet quiz says my beliefs align most closely with mainline to conservative Christian/Protestant (although I don't agree with everything they say I'd agree with!) -- so I guess my hunch is correct.

Born and baptized Roman Catholic, then my family went to a Byzantine Catholic church for a while, but I'm back to practicing traditional Roman Catholicism (as is the rest of my family)

Vaishnava Hindu, but I was raised Indepedent Fundementalist Baptist. :roll:

Haha, I'm Vaishnava Hindu, born and raised. However, my parents are pretty laid back with it and are not so hardcore with it, unlike some of my family members.

Cradle Catholic myself, though more of a C/E Catholic these days. I'm far too liberal to agree with many of the tenets of the Church, but there is still a part of me that is comforted by the ritual of the mass and the familiarity of the songs.

Atheist.

Was raised in the United Church and was exposed to all kinds of different religions growing up.

In the end I chose None. I feel my parents raised me well enough to be a decent human being without being told by a church how to be a good person.

Also, one of my jobs is Crime and Trauma Scene Cleaning (yes like the movies 'The Cleaner' and 'Sunshine Cleaning') and know what? God never showed up at any of the scenes I was called to. Had God been there, I wouldn't have needed to be. My other job is selling new homes. (much happier work environment)

I often babysat for the minister at my parent's church. She was organizing a VBS and we were discussing the different stories/topics for the week. Her plans were to introduce a new religion to the kids everyday because she wanted them to understand that most religions christian or not, are fundamentally the same. (Be a good human being, take care of eachother....)

My wife is an atheist and I am an agnostic. We had trouble deciding what religion NOT to bring our kids up in.

Sin,

Woody Allen

Catholic but questioning. I disagree with many major Church teachings (ie abortion, gay rights) but love the tradition of Mass, the role of Mary, and the Saints. Honestly at this point I don't know if I even believe that Jesus was anything other than a man, which of course is contrary to the main belief of Christianity. So, maybe agnostic, but raised Catholic and with a fondness for tradition? Ugh. It's so complicated!

Raised Catholic became Muslim in college. After realizing how I didn't want to be a spokesperson for something I didn't actually believe in, I started to question my belief in God. I love the Baha'i faith, and if I find God again that's where I'll go. They are amazing (check out a wiki article or something on the faith if you haven't hard of it). It's like they were able to take all the bad out of the religion while keeping the beauty and spirit.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic. I go to Mass every week. I don't always agree with the Church but I believe in the God above it all. I think I've also been really lucky in that I was never raised or schooled in the "you're doomed and going to hell" thought process. I was always taught that God loves everyone and is rooting for everyone to go to heaven, which is how I like to think about it.

agnostic here, spiritual but not really decided on what I truly believe so I no longer practice much of anything.

Christian...but in the touchy feeling spiritual sense.

Found an awesome church that is more community focused and plays half Christian rock, half secular music (Last week was a songs by The Decemberists and the month of June was 90's alt rock themed)

I think half of the place is there for the free breakfast...

Christian, nondenominational, sorta-charismatic, Bible believing without being legalistic about clothing/food/gender roles/etc. My church encourages higher education and women in the ministry. Pastor asks us to let him know if he preaches anything unbiblical.

Yeah, I love my church. :)

Sounds like my church!! Half the pastoral staff is female, the senior pastor has a great sense of humor, and none of the pastors tolerate legalism. I love my church too. :mrgreen:

I'm a secular humanist. I don't believe in organized religion. I also don't believe in an afterlife. Death to me is The Big Sleep. We only get one go around, so we better make it count. I guess I could be considered the anti-Steve Maxwell.

Baptized Lutheran, raised in an EXTREMELY liberal Presbyterian church until my parents went through a mid-life crisis and decided the church was too liberal for them when I was 15. We bounced around for about a year: my mother was raised Catholic, so I went to mass for a couple of months, went to a Baptist church for another couple of months (thankfully, NOT Southern Baptist), until they settled on what was Christian Reformed, of the Dutch variety. This is where my parents settled until their deaths. It was the worst two years of my life spiritually; I was given NO freedom to find my own way until I moved out of their home.

To give you some idea of how I became an agnostic secular humanist (and Universal Unitarian - 100% score on the Belief-o-meter): blame it on Harold Camping's hypocritical bible studies. I had that guy pegged for a nutcase 30 years ago and it was comforting for my parents to finally admit I was right about him. It took them until I was about 30, but they got there (and Camping was long gone, having formed his own "church" by then).

I do believe in karma, but only as it pertains for that one person in this lifetime. I'm an ashes to ashes, dust to dust - one shot at this life - kind of gal.

I'm Catholic. I grew up Lutheran but from age 11 onwards, I knew I was going to convert to Catholicism one day. I officially joined the church in March 2008. Best thing I ever did.

I'm atheist. I was raised in Catholic family. I believe in co-existing with those believe in God or other deities. I do my best to get along and respect others for their beliefs. But I admit I do have issues with some people who want certain things regarding religion taught in schools and I support separation of state and church.

Archived