IGNORED

What's your religion? (Or lack thereof)

Soldier of the One

I am sure this has been done before (and I apologize in advance), but:

What's your religion (or lack thereof?) and how do you practice it?

I'm curious to know what the FJ crowd believe (or not) and whether we have some more exotic religious traditions among us. Thanks!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massively confused.

But I'm in the Episcopal church choir and dig it. I'm doing a lot of thinking about me and religion lately, not just in relation to me and the fundies.

An afterlife would sure be nice in some ways. I'm not particularly concerned with it, though. I'll find out...eventually. :angelic-halofell:

Lack thereof ("I am not religious" is my standard answer) but from a background in which "the thing everyone does, on a scale from totally secular with cultural traditions up to full on religious" is Buddhist/Shinto/Confucian. From that background, the cultural parts of the "religions of the book" that are interwoven even into secular American society are noticeable (just as the reverse would surely be true).

My views are kind of complicated. I believe in God, and I may even lean towards Christianity (Catholicism and Orthodoxy) sometimes, but I'm not sure if I buy the whole religion thing. On some days, I consider myself an agnostic.

I come from the Reformed side of the fundie pond (RC Sproul and RC Sproul, Jr. have both guest-preached in my childhood church if that tells you anything). It had its good points, but was way heavy on the legalism and that went up as time went on.

I now go to a PC(USA) church, and find it a much better fit. My church is on the more conservative side for that denomination, but still a far cry from the long skirts and Titus 2 camp crowd.

Pagan/hedgewitch/psychic/non religious with UUish tendencies at times? Basically, I ask the "guides",goddesses, or spirits for advice if I ask for advice or help. I like nature type stuff, light candles and incense, and do psychic things for people. I have no idea what that is called in a nutshell. :dance:

I celebrate x-mas and easter the secular way with my family.The kids learn about all religions and that no one is better or the only right one.

Raised non-fundie Baptist, active member in a CBF Baptist church (Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, not fundie). Some days I believe, some days I look forward to believing again. I like the theology of Carlton Pearson.

Christian. of the non-denominational evangelical type. We go to a charismatic church but I refuse to jump, run, clap, or yell. :D

Guest Anonymous

Reform Jew. Both my husband and I are converts to the complete and utter dismay of our Lutheran and Catholic parents respectively.

Cognitive dissonance? Um, cradle Presby (USA) married to Reform Jew raising a Jewish daughter, no plans to convert myself. Current motto: "God is bigger than any human box."

Agnostic, although my upbringing was a lot more complicated than that.

Basically, my mother is technically Episcopalian/American Anglican, although her church is more of an unholy mashup of IFB and Evangelicalism with Anglican liturgy. Yeah. It's a bit whack. My dad is technically Presbyterian, and if you asked him, he'd probably tell you he was, although his views are probably closer to agnosticism.

I attend the Church of the Holy Choir Practice. :whistle:

It's a Methodist church and I pretty much grew up there. My parents chose it (and I stayed) because of the music program.

In terms of what I actually believe, I believe in God, but beyond that I'm not really sure. I really want to be one of those Christians who believes that God is doing great things for them and has a plan for their life, but most of the time I just really don't think God cares all that much, and church is all about choir for me. I find just going to church and sitting without participating in the service in some way to be incredibly boring and pointless. I guess if I had to sum up my beliefs in one word, I would call myself a deist.

I believe there is an afterlife, but I don't know what it might be like and I don't think where in the afterlife you end up has anything to do with what you did in your life (i.e. I don't believe in hell).

I find myself identifying more and more with Humanism...at times Secular...other times Christian. I kinda get this quote from Vonnegut "I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead.â€

However, I grew up a Jehovah's Witness. :?

Non religious/pagan/witch wannabe.

I'm an atheist who experiences strange things occasionally (feeling something happening from far away or very rarely knowing something in advance) which hasn't in any way convinced me about any particular god but most certainly has about human spirituality.

Ohh...and I have to throw out that teh ebil college has expanded my mind a lot over the last 2 years, ethics class had a major impact on making me reassess my personal view point on the world as a whole. I can't explain it really well, but I think it made me even more liberal that I already was.

I also have been though so much the last 3 years, I just don't know if God exists...and if he does, why does my family get shit on constantly?

I just have no answers...so I try to be the best person I can be and hope that others are doing the same.

Was raised fundie-lite and lived that faith as an adult for many years. I always had doubts and questions for which I could not get satisfying answers, but this intensified big-time about 10-11 years ago. Over a period of time, both my husband and I began to openly question things, and eventually left our faith community (and conversely, they left us). My husband still attends church, either going with our boys to their Lutheran church or popping in at a Methodist church he likes.

I vacillate between trying to hang onto my faith and jettisoning it completely. Obviously, I'm in no hurry to make this decision, and that's okay. So whoever said "cognitive dissonance". . . I'll go with that.

Lutheran and love it! But I love all religions (when not done in a extreme way) and respect them. I think every one of them got a little something right. They're all so beautiful in their own ways.

Archived