IGNORED

LAF makes my teeth ache

Shina

Ay, the stupid it burns...

For those of you who avoid LAF for the sake of your blood pressure: the ebil feminists are pushing birth control, despite concerns over it leading to an increase in blood clots.

Oh wait, the concern is only specific types of birth control?

Oh wait, the FDA is studying the problem before making a panic-inducing announcement?

Oh wait, Planned Parenthood DOES distribute information about any possible side effects?

Also, props to LVH for attempting to present facts to the fundies. They went "lalalala, we can't hear your ebil feminist logick!" but it was a valiant attempt.

ladiesagainstfeminism.com/feminism-related-issues/world-contraception-day-empowering-whom/

Edited for SOTDRT grammar.

Why, thank you, Shina! My day is always a little brighter after a LAF post -- suppose it's because my eyes are so wide in incredulity, more light gets in. ;)

I loved this reply to LVH:

I ask that if you are going to argue this point, please do so by seeing what Mrs. Chancey and others have to say. We may not like what they have indicated, but to tell them that they are down right wrong is misguided.

Sincerely,

cd

Mrs. Chancey and others may tell us that we're down right wrong but we may not return the opinion.

How does one indicate "le sigh" to an order of magnitude?

The LAF'er whose momma died at age 39 agrees with her aunties who say BC killed momma. That's really very sad. But so misdirected. My own momma died at 65. Like her sisters, she smoked, but she didn't drink to excess, and there are a dozen other anecdotals I could tell about her -- the point is, her sisters are now in their 80s, still smoking 2 packs a day. Plus other vices.

So what "killed" BigMJB? Why, as a Christian, I could say that it was God's will which I will never understand this side of Heaven. One would think the presumably Christian LAF'er whose momma died at 39 would say the same thing -- but to do that would be to miss the chance to attack something she finds personally repugnant (BC).

Ah, I feel so superior. ;) And the day *is* brighter!

my blood pressure is always low! too low! maybe i should read there more :D

No... if it doesn't raise your blood pressure, than you might end up with a splitting headache. Or whiplash. Or both.

:doh: Um, yeah, except that pregnancy also increases your chances of blood clots. Maybe they should take that under advisement as well.

I thought it was generally accepted that hormonal birth control may increase the risk of blood clots. It is listed as a potential side effect in those little papers that come with the Pill. They still are no more dangerous than pregnancy, right?

1. Can people stop using the generic term "birth control" when they are specifically referring to the birth control pill? Seriously, saying "The Pill" is shorter if you are lazy. I suspect that it may be more than just laziness - that maybe it's a subtle attempt to imply that using birth control at all means health risks or whatever evil thing they want to pin on the pill. Guess what, people? Non-hormonal birth control, such as barrier methods, exist, and also work without side effects when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

2. I thought the blood clot-birth control pill connection was well known, and has been for decades.

3. Since birth control pills are only available by prescription, shouldn't the focus be on what DOCTORS are telling women about the risks? FWIW, my feminist doctor refused to prescribe me birth control pills last year, when I figured out that my period was likely to coincide with a vacation in the sun away from the kids.

4. I'm sympathetic to anyone's loss, but not to the spread of medical misinformation and ignorance. The Pill can increase the risk of blood clots. An aneurysm is not a blood clot. It is a weakening in the wall of an artery. Strokes may be caused by either a blood clot or an aneurysm, which may be the source of the confusion. Not only does the Pill not increase the risk of aneurysm, but it may actually decrease it: http://health.msn.com/health-topics/sex ... -aneurysms

I think the risk of having blood clots is higher if you somke in conjunction with being on the birth control pill. So maybe women who smoke should use a different type of bc...but that doesn't mean the pill causes problems for everyone.

Also, there are so many different formulas of pills now! The first one I was prescribed made me seriously hormonal and suspicious; they switched me to a low estrogen pill, and I'm fine. Better than fine, actually - I very rarely experience PMS symptoms and the (very) little cramping I get is easily controlled with a few over the counter painkillers. Way, way better than when I was a teenager/in my early 20s and had huge amounts of pain, etc.

Archived