IGNORED

What do you think Steve Maxwell does all day?

Justme

I wonder what they're all going to do when he dies. Elect a new Papa Maxwell to keep them all in their well-worn ruts? Go completely off the rails and end up in the police reports for brawling over whether it's sinful to put seasoning in the stupid burritos or crashing Uriah while drunk on lite beer? Something in between? I hope it's something in between.

I wonder what they're all going to do when he dies. Elect a new Papa Maxwell to keep them all in their well-worn ruts? Go completely off the rails and end up in the police reports for brawling over whether it's sinful to put seasoning in the stupid burritos or crashing Uriah while drunk on lite beer? Something in between? I hope it's something in between.

One of the sons will assume the Steve position. It will be like the 1980s movie "Heathers"-- when the first snotty queen bee died, one of the wannabees (played by Shannen Doherty) stepped up and took her place.

One of the sons will assume the Steve position. It will be like the 1980s movie "Heathers"-- when the first snotty queen bee died, one of the wannabees (played by Shannen Doherty) stepped up and took her place.

Could any of them possibly be as relentlessly gloomy, contagiously anhedonic, and implacably micromanagerial as their dad? Brrrr. I hope not!

I watched the movie Tangled the other day, and totally thought of the Maxwells.

Rapunzel is the Maxwell girls: trapped inside, allowed no friends, isolated and lied to about the real world.

Mother Gothel is Steve: the leader, the lying mastermind who controls by limiting the acceptable range of behaviors.

Poor Sarah needs a Flynn Rider!

PS Tangled is an awesome movie. I'm bitter, cynical, and hate everything, and I cried, it was so sweet.

I watched the movie Tangled the other day, and totally thought of the Maxwells.

Rapunzel is the Maxwell girls: trapped inside, allowed no friends, isolated and lied to about the real world.

Mother Gothel is Steve: the leader, the lying mastermind who controls by limiting the acceptable range of behaviors.

Poor Sarah needs a Flynn Rider!

PS Tangled is an awesome movie. I'm bitter, cynical, and hate everything, and I cried, it was so sweet.

Isn't that funny, Haligh, a number of us saw parallels to SAHD and that movie. We had a discussion about it, I believe, on the old board.

I know as soon as Rapunzel sang "When Will My Life Begin", that's all I could think about for the rest of the movie.

It was good, wasn't it? It reminded me of the movies we saw as kids (in the 60s). In fact, the adults in our group loved it as much, if not more than the kids.

relentlessly gloomy, contagiously anhedonic, and implacably micromanagerial

Now that's a turn of phrase! Wonder if that's how he answers the phone:

"Relentlessly gloomy, contagiously anhedonic, and implacably micromanagerial Steve here -- how may I help you?"

:lol:

"Relentlessly gloomy, contagiously anhedonic, and implacably micromanagerial Steve here -- how may I help you?"

:lol: HAHA!!!

I think Christopher would make a good replacement.

Such a great question!

I think he probably manages the finances, paying bills, trying to figure out what their next conference schedule should look like. And he probably masturbates at least once.

I have to say, that was my immediate thought when I saw this thread.

Steve Maxwell spends his time being a "visionary" to his family. He probably takes care of booking their talks, managing their ministry. I assume he does some of the accounting. He also used to run his family business, Communication Concepts. I think his sons still work there, not sure if he still does. His "ministry" has gotten increasingly more lucrative the last few years. I figure he spends most of his time finding ways to make more money through it.

One thing I remember distinctly about when I first started reading their blog and Corners a few years ago (it might have been around the time Melanie was newly pregnant with Suzannah, the baby they lost) was that Steve said they didn't call what they did a "ministry". But now they do. So I'm not sure they expected to find themselves gypsying around in Uriah. They used to do some road trips hauling a small trailer, but then their "non-ministry" took off, and then it became a ministry, although he never really explained that.

Archived