IGNORED

Joel Osteen: Gays are Sinners but I Still Want Their $$$

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

Also, maybe if Joel *loves* gay people, it will turn them straight. I don't doubt that Joel's *love* would put anyone off of sex entirely, but that's not a change in orientation, Joel-boy.

Mega church leader Joel Osteen reiterated his belief that being gay is a “sin†during an interview with the Washington Post’s Sally Quinn, but said that gay people should still purchase his new book “Everyday a Friday†and learn from its message of empowerment. “They don’t have to let people steal their power, especially all the bullying, things that we see going on with that,†he said. Osteen also suggested gays could be converted:

Somebody that maybe had this certain difficulty now, maybe in five years they’re not if we will love them. You know, I think one of the messages I speak on sometimes is, you know, we can love people back into wholeness. But sometimes we want to beat them down — you got this addiction and you shouldn’t have that, or you did this — I just don’t think that’s the best way.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2011/10/2 ... em-enough/

I had a gay friend who went to Lakewood Church. I asked him several times why he would want to go to church with people who hated him, and he always said that there were other gay people there and that Joel didn't preach against homosexuality. I assured him that most of the people at that church considered him disgusting and considered his sins worse than theirs, and offered to help him find a church that was more accepting (Houston has many), but he just said he liked the services and the message at Lakewood - which, as far as I can tell, boil down to "if you're the right kind of Christian, you'll make a lot of money." Shrug.

I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgable about these mega-church pastors. I've heard of Joel Osteen and knew he pastored a big church, but that was the extent of my knowledge of him. My husband was channel surfing a couple of weeks ago though and briefly stopped on Piers Morgan's show(I can't stand him as a news journalist, btw!) when he was interviewing Joel Osteen. We watched the rest of the segment and both of us were laughing at Olsteen's PC, completely non-commital answers. He was so wishy-washy and wouldn't commit to a single opinion on anything. He avoided every tough question and just kept coming back with these swarmy smiles and talk about loving everyone in his flock. His voice was also nails-on-a-chalkboard whiney and annoying. How in the world does someone like him have SO many followers? You either believe something, or you don't. Answer the damn questions. His wife was also rather annoying and had down the adoring stare as well as any I've ever seen.

Okay, so I'm a bit dyslexic, especially when it comes to symbols, and I first read this as "Joel Osteen: Gays are Sinners but I Still Want Their Ass."

Tell me I'm not the only one whose gaydar is pinged by this guy.

Okay, so I'm a bit dyslexic, especially when it comes to symbols, and I first read this as "Joel Osteen: Gays are Sinners but I Still Want Their Ass."

I just snorted dry vanilla soda (which is expensive, damn it!) out my nose :lol:

Nobody does conditional love better than the anti-gay evangelicals. I love the message, "we'll love you, but you have to do what we say". It's just making me all warm and fuzzy-like. :roll:

He reminds me of that snake oil salesman guy kevin trudeau, you know the one who writes the books about "health cures THEY don't want you to know about". I'm always mixing the 2 of them up.

I highly dislike people like Joel Osteen, the yeah I don't like you (gays) but your still good enough to profit from :x ... stupid man

I've always said for a theologian, he's a hell of motivational speaker.

I agree about the snake oil, the sweetheart deal he got for what used to be the Summit on some prime Houston real estate still burns. Especially since churchs don't pay property taxes.

Tell me I'm not the only one whose gaydar is pinged by this guy.

You are not the only one. :mrgreen:

Also, he creeps me out. Just so smarmy.

Tell me I'm not the only one whose gaydar is pinged by

this guy.

Ahahaha! I love this, I can't read the title any other way now.

Can't stand the guy and the formulary BS aka prosperity gospel.

Joel is trying to sell a formula for happiness. He's not that different from our traditional fundies, who also believe that if you follow certain rules God will bless and reward you.

Believe in Jesus and follow God's rules = a happy life where nothing ever goes wrong and you get rich.

Joel Osteen is one beady eyed mother fucker. He's just slimy looking. Joel Osteen and John Edwards are two men that scream SLIMEBALL to me. They both strike me as extremely vain men. Also, whenever Joel is mentioned, no matter what blog I read, someone ALWAYS calls him a "snake oil salesmen", surely it's not a coincidence? ;)

Archived