IGNORED

US House of Representatives 4: Day One And The Clown Caucus is Already in Disarray.

GreyhoundFan

Stealing from animals, just like the trump family:

• Disgust 6
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This is insane. 

I imagine they'll be creating all manner of distractions from the investigations into and cases against Trump...but what about Santos?

Silver lining:  The list is horrendous enough (IMO) to be transparent.  They'll have to try to deflect and sell pretty hard.

• Upvote 7

Oh, for fuck's sake. A 30% national sales tax?

image.png.787f5877daf0ed7a3a3c8254321a7b32.png

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 8

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Oh, for fuck's sake. A 30% national sales tax?

image.png.787f5877daf0ed7a3a3c8254321a7b32.png

And remember that's on top of state and local taxes. There are many places that will be paying 40% and some even more than that.

It sounds like a wonderful way to crater the economy. I'm guessing many people will stop buying as much as they possibly can and there will be a lot more garage sales, unless they ask individual garage sale people to collect the taxes.

Recession, here we come! Although Republicans do love creating recessions and depressions...

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 7

This letter is an eminent example of how to tell a subject of an investigation to go suck eggs whilst remaining deferential, helpful, and polite.

image.thumb.png.c3fa9e9237f0540945ca895d6f6c5468.png

Rest under spoiler below.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.47771a7584453525aba9e8e68f4bca46.png
image.thumb.png.ba74a121e0865218fad874add0a3d688.png

• Thank You 8

Incredibly good explanation of what would happen if the "debt ceiling" wasn't raised, and why-- and why the US has this ridiculous bill in the first place, and why it's ridiculous to keep it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

On 1/21/2023 at 5:47 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

Here is something I don't get.  

Even if they succeed in defining "human life" as starting at conception, there is (I believe) no law that compels one person (say, a pregnant person) to sacrifice their own life or health to save another person's life.

Recognizing that "health" would/should include mental health as well as physical health, one would think this would prevent any law forcing the continuation of a pregnancy, at least until the point of viability.

But apparently this isn't the case, though I don't understand why not.

I also think it ought to be obvious that the valuing of an unborn life, outside of the preferences of the pregnant person, is purely a religious concept, and therefore should not be mandated in a country where religious beliefs are optional.  Again, I recognize this argument doesn't hold up, but again I don't understand why not.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Even if they succeed in defining "human life" as starting at conception, there is (I believe) no law that compels one person (say, a pregnant person) to sacrifice their own life or health to save another person's life.

Recognizing that "health" would/should include mental health as well as physical health, one would think this would prevent any law forcing the continuation of a pregnancy, at least until the point of viability.

You get it, I get it, the majority of the people get it. But the forced birthers do not consider mental health at all in the argument. A woman’s (or girl’s) mental trauma, no matter how deep and even to the point she is suicidal, just doesn’t matter because in their view it’s less important than bringing another life into the world. As far as physical health, it comes down to simple math. If it won’t kill the mother, then the baby must be born. If it might kill the mother but the baby will definitely live, the baby must be born. If the mother will die but the baby definitely live, then there will probably be some discussions about whether an abortion will definitely save the mother; likely save the mother; or maybe save the mother before deciding which one to save. If both will definitely die, save the mother because she can have another baby if she lives. I wish I was being hyperbolic. I am not saying medical professionals (at least not those who aren’t on the far right side of the issue) take these positions but in the “pro-life” world it’s pretty much math. Maximizing the amount of lives at the end of the full term pregnancy and birth is the only real consideration and the only way an abortion is considered is if the mother will definitely die and the baby will definitely or likely die without one because saving the mother means the possibility of more babies (even at the risk of her life the next pregnancy.) How do I know? In my far younger and far less experienced and understanding days, I had sipped the flavored drink. I never went to clinics or harassed anyone but I was a judgmental snot who thought I had the answers. I knew all the lines and replies to the pro-choice stances and challenges.

Thankfully I was given a book- ironically by a person who was a role model to me who was very high up in our local pro-life community- full of stories supposedly written by women who had abortions. It was supposed to be a pro-life book as every woman was deeply torn by her decision and her life was ruined as a result. But my takeaway was to realize that no one makes the decision to have an abortion lightly and the women in the stories did it because in every case they felt they had no other choice. Instead of galvanizing my position, it made me really start to question why the women in the stories who really wanted the babies felt they had no choice but an abortion. It started me on the path to realizing I had been a small minded person with no real world experience and I needed to start learning and listening. @church_of_dog, I understand your frustration and questions. I wish I could have better and more logical answers but it really comes down to the hard truth that to many, a pregnant woman is nothing but an incubator and the only time she is of concern is if her system might fail and take the baby with her or if the baby will die anyway and she will no longer be of service as a future incubator. I was lucky to have started to find my way out when I was 18 and was fully out by 19 but some never get a chance to see the light. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It’s Fox News. I don’t trust them to not mean the DC to Virginia border but not tell the viewers so they can make it look sinister. 

• Upvote 5

I’m so glad the GQPers on the House judiciary committee are concerned with the real issues facing average Americans:

• Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:09 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I’m so glad the GQPers on the House judiciary committee are concerned with the real issues facing average Americans:

Is this all they have to do? What about doing the job  you were elected to do and stop being entertainment! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Not only do the GQPers lie, they also think people can’t do math:

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

7 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Not only do the GQPers lie, they also think people can’t do math:

The first post actually negates the second. Of course can talk and be outraged about what it would mean if there were a 30% tax raise on everything, but the Senate will never pass such a bill, even if it were to be brought before them. Schumer wouldn't even bring it to the floor. And even if he did, it wouldn't get the votes-- and even if that were to hypothetically happen, Biden would veto it. So it's much ado about nothing, really. 

Good fodder though, to show just how stupidly showboating and ineffectual the GOP House is.

• Upvote 6

You couldn’t make this up:

image.thumb.png.d76a9fa4c2424e2dd08f5f15f08eee9d.png

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

There are days when I think the Democrats in Congress should just head across the border into Canada and set up a government in exile.  Stupid shit like this makes me think that too.  

• Upvote 5

The GQP is laser focused on the important issues of the day:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic