IGNORED

TX woman charged with murder for "self induced" abortion

Howl

39 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'd guess anyone with a Texas law license has standing to sue in Texas; there would be no need for an out-of-state lawyer. 

I am now seeing that the TX law is apparently a big risk for any attorney to take on if they represent someone harmed by it. This Twitter comment says why in a nutshell:

1577585949_TXabortionlaw.thumb.png.444c7fce4331edfa5976c586c8e15788.png

Imani Gandy is an attorney who's been working in reproductive justice for over 10 years along with the folks at Rewire News.

She and her colleague at Rewire News, Jessica Mason Pieklo, think that TX is just jonesing for someone to sue so that TX AG Ken "I'm a felon" Paxton can go for it.

1502658700_TXtrialballon.thumb.png.b48cecdc896418504ae14f99e94b7003.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

28 minutes ago, Howl said:

Damn, I wasn't aware of this

Between this shite and the vigilante crap, itʻs a diabolical law in so many ways.

Itʻs also unconstitutional but unless SCOTUS rules accordingly, itʻll continue to stand.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

As a Texan I was generally aware of the abortion bounty law and that those who were wrongly accused of aiding an abortion after 6 weeks basically have no legal recourse or ways to recoup legal fees. 

It's f**ked up on so many levels.  However, as noted above, I was NOT aware of the implications for lawyers.  

This legislation is evil on so many levels. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

The DA who dismissed the charges is the same one who went to the Grand Jury and got the indictment in the first place.

He  may have immunity for a civil rights challenge, but I'm thinking a state bar grievance might be in order. Those are nothing to joke with in Texas. 

Further, it appears to be that the hospital was in violation of Texas medical privacy laws and HIPAA. Those law have some teeth in Texas unless they've carved out exceptions for abortions, haven't checked that close, and I'd love to see the hospital have to defend themselves.   

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

On 4/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, Howl said:

I would add be a white and minimum middle class. You're guaranteed to be fine then. Sadly there's little poor women of color can do. I guess we need to be forced to have children for target practice, to make money off of with private prison contracts, etc. 

But in all honesty and seriousness thank you for sharing a great resource, if it can help even one woman it's invaluable. ♡

Edited by zee_four
Incorrect autocorrect

I suspect that this is part of a growing underground movement to assist women with abortion. 

Colorado has enshrined the right to abortion into state law.  I don't see New Mexico making any restrictions, but these places are far far away from most Texans needing abortion care.  

Mexico decriminalized abortion last September, but as in the US, regulations vary by state.  However, knowing Mexico, abortion services, overt or clandestine, are springing up in border cities, especially in The Valley. 

• Upvote 1