IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 14: Arrests And The Big Lie

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

You'll never find a bigger mental health advocate than myself, especially since I'm in recovery from 3 diagnoses of my own.

I don't believe this guy has a single mental health issue other than being a racist asshole and a Trumphumper.  He's sorry he got caught, period.  People who use mental health as a "my dog ate my homework" excuse piss me right off.

• Upvote 19

The new US Attorney for the state of NY has indicted two Iranian hackers who pretended to be Proud Boys to interfere in the 2020 election.  This, along with the Bannon indictment, gives me hope that they have been digging and are finally going to bring forth cases about the real attempts at election fraud from the Republicans.

• Thank You 12

As if TFG would do a single thing for anyone other than himself:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 1

55 minutes ago, Xan said:

Verdict is in for the Rittenhouse trial.  Not guilty on all counts.  I feel sick.

I also feel sick about this but I can't say I'm surprised. I feel like in all of his rulings for all of the motions the judge already had the verdict thought up and just wanted to put his thumbs on the balance of Justice to make it come out the way he wanted.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

1 hour ago, Xan said:

Verdict is in for the Rittenhouse trial.  Not guilty on all counts.  I feel sick.

On what freaking grounds? Can they at least charge him with breaking curfew and on gun laws?

Literally the only thing that is going to come out of this is more violence.

• I Agree 8

I was thinking of asking my brother if he wanted to go up to Madison some time next month to go Christmas shopping but at this point I'm thinking either of asking if he could drive me over to Rockford or down to the Quad Cities instead since both of those areas have Costcos and I'd rather drill a hole in my head than go up into Wisconsin anymore.

And as for visiting next summer once I can drive again....scratch going up into Wisconsin.  It's high time for a drive over to Chicago again.   

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

On what freaking grounds? Can they at least charge him with breaking curfew and on gun laws?

Unfortunately with the way Wisconsin law is written it was perfectly legal for him to be in possession of a gun.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 3

I've been afraid since the trial started that he would be found not guilty. I really wanted to be wrong and have confidence in the jury system. It was a clear open and shut case of murder. No excuses. He crossed state lines with a big ass gun to do exactly what he did. To kill people.  But nope. Not wrong. I feel sick. He just got away with murdering two people. The jury just told him and everyone else it didn't matter. The judge was also clearly very bias during the entire trial. I can't imagine how the families of the victims or the man who Kyle attempted to murder feel right now.

This on the heels of that asshole judge who let a four time rapist off on probation because he didn't feel prison would be appropriate for him. 

It is all so messed up.

• I Agree 11

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

Unfortunately with the way Wisconsin law is written it was perfectly legal for him to be in possession of a gun.

Even as a minor? I am never going to understand how he would likely have been in more trouble if he'd been walking around with a 6 pack of 5% alcohol beer than with a firearm. He'd still have been looking for trouble but two people would likely be alive and one would likely be less injured.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Having male genitalia and a gun and being white. 

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 8

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

When the judge tossed the weapons charge, a lot of people felt that there was no way he'd be found guilty.  One of the witnesses was particularly damaging to the prosecution.  His testimony showed that Rittenhouse was, at the end, shooting in self defense because someone tried to grab his gun.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Even as a minor? I am never going to understand how he would likely have been in more trouble if he'd been walking around with a 6 pack of 5% alcohol beer than with a firearm. He'd still have been looking for trouble but two people would likely be alive and one would likely be less injured.

As far as I can tell, most of this hinges on the idiot judge.  Once he tossed the firearms charge, the prosecution was in trouble.  Then he had them cheer for one of the defense witnesses and mumbled around about maybe declaring a mistrial.  He even sat at the bench and looked at a catalog.  Somebody needs to run against him to get him off the court.

• WTF 6
  • I Agree 3

I think I've mentioned this before but there's a very good documentary called "Exterminate All The Brutes" that ran on HBO recently.  This horrible trial result reminds me of the real history of our country.  We've based our shared faux history on a fantasy of brave European settlers taking the land and civilizing it.  We don't acknowledge the fact that we decimated the Native American population* or that we brought over thousands upon thousands of people from another continent to enslave them.  In order to maintain this fantasy, the powers that be need to reject any attempt to look honestly at our history.  We need to continue to have white males who are armed and patrolling against groups who would force them to share power, share wealth.  

Once in a while, a trial ends up in justice.  Frequently, it does not.  The system won't allow it to tilt too far to the left because there is too much vested interest in maintaining the American facade.

* Hitler was said to have remarked that he got the idea of exterminating all the Jews from the Americans who almost exterminated the Native Americans.

Some days this is all too much.  Trump is still complaining about the stolen election.  We've got people still refusing to take the vaccine.  The entire Republican party is willing to let the country burn just to make Biden look bad.  And now we're going to have vigilantes bringing automatic weapons to every peaceful march.  I think I'm ready for Bro Gary's end times Rapture about now...

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 19

3 hours ago, Xan said:

His testimony showed that Rittenhouse was, at the end, shooting in self defense because someone tried to grab his gun.

I actually don't think that would be considered self defense here, although we obviously have different laws to Wisconsin.  Manslaughter laws for starters.

I'm still kind of flummoxed that a 17 year old could carry a high powered weapon around during a curfew and that's apparently AOK, and completely lawful. If he'd had a knife on him and stabbed people instead would that have resulted in a conviction, or is it anytging goes?

27 minutes ago, Xan said:

We need to continue to have white males who are armed and patrolling against groups who would force them to share power, share wealth.  

Once in a while, a trial ends up in justice. 

I thought this might result in at least a degree of conviction (maybe not murder but unlawful killing or manslaughter) not least because of the skin colour of the victims.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I wonder if there is grounds for appeal based on the biased judge.

• Upvote 6

If Rittenhouse and those advising him have a lick of sense, he will disappear into the woodwork and try to get on with a low-key life - and never touch a gun again.  No prizes from gun-nut organizations, no internships with wack job congress critters, no interviews or, god help us, a book. No celebrations that he got away with literal murder.

He should also consider therapy - He took the lives of real, actual human beings and that will mess a person up, and he needs to reckon with why he felt he needed to go to Kenosha with a gun at all.

However, I suspect he has not a lick of sense.  We shall see.

Edited to add: Well, I just read the "Faux News..." thread and - - Rittenhouse has already been at work on a documentary with none other than Tucker Carlson.  JFC.  I guess it was too much to ask for him to behave like a compassionate, reasonable human being, or for his parents to guide him to do so.  

Edited by Becky
  • I Agree 17

I know different states each have different laws or variations of such, but I just don’t understand how in any state you are allowed to create and escalate a crime and then when  the person you target responds to defend himself, you, the initiator, are allowed to use deadly force. It happened in FL(Martin) now WI, and could also happen in GA (Arberry). Why are yahoos legally allowed to manufacture and escalate crimes to murder and suffer zero repercussions ?  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but several fundies posted "Kyle Rittenhouse killed a child rapist" and similar stuff today (Ashley Hoover, among others), and I was wondering what's going on there? Seems like a smear campaign to discredit the victims. I've never seen anything of the kind mentioned in reliable media sources — not that it makes a difference, because even if they were convicted felons, they still didn't deserve to die. Any ideas on where this is coming from?

ETA: Never mind, I found an article on  snopes.com that was super informative. Not surprised at all that "pro-life" Ashley is okay with shooting people and justifying it by bringing up their past.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Thank You 6

23 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but several fundies posted "Kyle Rittenhouse killed a child rapist" and similar stuff today (Ashley Hoover, among others), and I was wondering what's going on there? Seems like a smear campaign to discredit the victims. I've never seen anything of the kind mentioned in reliable media sources — not that it makes a difference, because even if they were convicted felons, they still didn't deserve to die. Any ideas on where this is coming from?

ETA: Never mind, I found an article on  snopes.com that was super informative. Not surprised at all that "pro-life" Ashley is okay with shooting people and justifying it by bringing up their past.

His victims could be the biggest dirt bags on Earth but Rittenhouse didn’t  get to solely decide whether they lived or died. Even Josh Duggar is getting a trial. That is how the system is supposed to work. As an everyday citizen when one is in trouble or an emergency arises, there is a system in place to handle those incidents. People need to stop creating crimes that involve targeting and killing “certain” people. Vigilante Justice should not be rewarded. And FFS, 17 YOs should not have weapons at all-

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic