IGNORED

Impeachment Number Two

GreyhoundFan

7 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I'm shocked SHOCKED he got away with it. ? 

Needs Claude Rains to make the full impact.

498477202_ClaudeRainsshocked.jpg.7bda9db7a398998ea8526d215eaf4aea.jpg

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, it was just a figure of speech, nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.

Because you explicitly stated 'a president' I was just agreeing and elaborating that it's worse than only someone in that office. Essentially we're in complete agreement on this point.

Ah - OK. Got it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

fwiw, I do not think it would have made any difference if they would have called another witness.. They knew that they would not get 67 votes, especially after mcconnell already said he'd acquit this morning..

I also don't think they wanted to drag it out, and they are making a good point right now at the press conference.. the defense would've made a circus out of it..

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

I just don't understand. I mean I understand that politicians are totally out for themselves, but I dont understand how they can be so blatantly blind to the FACTS. I feel so totally stupid and naive for truly believing people,, even politicians, would do the right thing. Sadly disillusioned and sad.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, SeekingAdventure said:

CNN Breaking news: McConnell blames Trump but voted not guilty anyways...

McConnell tries to have it both ways

If he wanted to remove him from office, he should've let them start earlier

I agree, he is stunningly shameless.

But I think his wording is really interesting. "There's no question -- none -- that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day."

I wonder if  this is a sign of how the Republicans plan to break with Trump in the coming years after he fades into obscurity, or is this  just McConnell showing some shred of courage in what is very likely his last Senate term? I really hope it's the former. 

This is also pretty damning for Trump when facing criminal trials for all of this. On to Georgia...

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

22 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

only time will tell, I suppose..

I wanna see OFM in orange

Me too. But knowing that despite the outcome of any of the cases, he will likely spend his final years juggling dozens of criminal cases, paying legal fees, waking up early for depositions, and missing out on his golf outings just fills me with glee no matter what else happens. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8

27 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Me too. But knowing that despite the outcome of any of the cases, he will likely spend his final years juggling dozens of criminal cases, paying legal fees, waking up early for depositions, and missing out on his golf outings just fills me with glee no matter what else happens. 

Yep, I agree. Him having to dance to others’ tunes and possibly being held accountable for his horrid and bordering on illegal lifelong behaviors and decisions, and resulting changes in his life and likely his check book is a fantastic start.  BP and PP life, and now Trump gets to live a whole new reality, PP (post presidency). 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

59 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

He should also be acutely aware that scrutiny of him and his actions will be continuing, with many hoping that things won't ever go his way.  His reputation is far different now than it was pre-Presidency and I doubt the stain will ever be erased.  And who knows what might come out of the woodwork in days to come?  His for-profit companies rely, in part, on public goodwill and I expect his bottom line will suffer substantially.  What's going to happen once existing businesses/individuals who are doing business with him have their contracts/leases expire?  Who will be willing to provide goods and services without pre-payment or hefty collateral?  I suspect many will run like hell and I question how many of his supporters will be in a position to fill in the gaps.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

When I heard the gist of McConnell's speech, I briefly had hopes they would immediately call for a vote on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.  It would have taken 15 minutes and they could have accomplished the disqualification to hold future office just like that -- only needing 51 of the 57 votes they would have gotten.  I just don't understand why they didn't.

I will still hope for that when they resume in a few weeks, but -- why wait? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

McConnell's speech was simply stunning. He vilified Trump and excoriated  QAnon whack jobs, MAGAts, insurrectionists, all of them. 

HOWEVER, when he said that he might have voted to convict if the trial had been held while Trump was still in office, when McConnell himself BLOCKED THAT OPTION...I was all FUCK. THIS. GUY. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 19
  • Love 1

Wow - how did this idiot survive to this age?

ETA - He accused her of saying "to be fair," when asking him to go over the list of "doctored" items, and implying that she was mocking how insignificant they were.

I went back and listened - she said she wanted to make it clear for the the viewers. Through his interruptions, she tried to say it at least twice that I could hear.

vdVeen, you must not watch a lot of news, if you don't realize that, if you refer to some random things, the interviewer won't jump in to make sure the viewers know what you are talking about.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

I'm angry that Trump was acquitted. I don't think he'll run again as he probably won't be healthy enough to run. 

The Republican party are sick f^^ks.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm angry that Trump was acquitted. I don't think he'll run again as he probably won't be healthy enough to run. 

The Republican party are sick f^^ks.

I've been thinking the same thing. I hope that Trump's unhealthy lifestyle catches up to him before it's time to declare his intent to run. Call me negative but I have a very sick feeling that Trump could win. Sadly I could see another storming of the Capitol building if his supporters think that he should win and he falls short in the votes.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Sadly I could see another storming of the Capitol building if his supporters think that he should win and he falls short in the votes.

I'm not so sure.  There are now a whole bunch of them who were caught doing what they believed Trump wanted them to do, which he has denied and now he's acquitted.  When they stand trial, a "following orders" excuse to escape harder time won't (IMO) likely help them at all.  Others are waiting for the FBI to catch up with them.  I would expect many feel betrayed and that they and their loved ones are more than a little pissed about it.  Perhaps the rest of their ilk will think twice before trying the same.

• Upvote 13

I honestly doubt he could get elected again.

He's alienated quite a few of his base because he threw them under the bus. If they are so stupid to still elect him.. God help us all.. But I doubt he'd really run. He might announce he wants to, but with all the lawsuits etc.. Don't think he'll be the candidate. and he also cannot say: now, you cannot file lawsuits against me, I am running for president.. otherwise everybody would say they're running for president

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1

I also don't think he will be elected again. The Republican party is too damaged. A lot of Republicans don't agree with the attempted coup or Trump's insistence that the election was stolen. But there's a significant portion who eat up everything Trump says. Going forward, i predict Republican candidates (for any office) will see smaller donations than in the past because of this split.

• Upvote 12

He won’t run again. 1) I doubt the GOP would allow/support him. 2) He’d likely lose again and what would Trump’s excuse be? The worst thing in his world is to be labeled a loser... Cry foul again?  How hollow would his bitching and moaning a second time be? 3) Like Santorum said recently, the GOP use to be the party of the elite and big business, but now it’s the party of the common man and the down and out. (Paraphrasing). Few in Trump’s core base have the money, power or influence to overcome the anti-Trump majority. 4) He hated the job.

• Upvote 10

19 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Not surprising in any way but still disappointing. God, I hope it bites those 43 cowards in the ass next election cycle.

Some might. Collins, for one. She may have learned her lesson. I heard somewhere that Burr may be thinking of not running again, so he felt safe voting guilty. 

That's probably why Toomey did, he announced that he wouldn't run again after this term.

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I will still hope for that when they resume in a few weeks, but -- why wait? 

I hate to burst your bubble, but if it hasn't happened already, it's never going to happen. If they had really wanted to do something then they would have started it right after the 6th happened. 

When nothing happened then, and McConnell even chose to wait with the impeachment trial until the Biden inauguration, we knew that they would not hold him to account.

There are only two ways you will be rid of Trump. Natural causes, or state level sentencing to a long term in prison. 

Sadly, even after Trump has left the picture, you won't be rid of Trumpism. That rot in society will take a lot of work and effort and time before it's gone. 

5 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

he also cannot say: now, you cannot file lawsuits against me, I am running for president.. otherwise everybody would say they're running for president

Oh, Trump can and will say anything. He does not care one iota for law and order. They are for other people to adhere to, not him. And as no one has ever held him to account for it, he will keep on doing and saying whatever he wants. 

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

4) He hated the job.

Although I agree that points 1 - 3 have their merits, I don't agree his hating the job will be a deterrent from running for office. He didn't do much of anything during his tenure and had ample time to golf (and make money off of it). Plus, the prestige and power occupying the office gave him is addicting to his narcissistic and megalomanic ego. 

All in all, I do see him running again. He can hold rallies and soak in the adulation of his adoring crowds. And, more importantly, he can grift the hell out of it. Win or lose, it's an easy source of income for him. He'll milk it for all it's worth the next couple of years. He's already said we'll be hearing from him soon...

• Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 6

9 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, Trump can and will say anything. He does not care one iota for law and order. They are for other people to adhere to, not him. And as no one has ever held him to account for it, he will keep on doing and saying whatever he wants.

yeah, that was unfortunately said. LEGALLY, it is not correct. Not that it has ever stopped him. Example A: the last 5 years

but I still hope and believe that they won't vote for him again,if, god forbid, he manages to get the nomination

Also ? Thanks for that message, asshat (not you, him). I think we all have seen your vision and we do not wanna see any more of it. also.. 75 millions more than any sitting president. big deal. he still lost, because the other candidate had MORE votes. Millions more

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, SeekingAdventure said:

but I still hope and believe that they won't vote for him again,if, god forbid, he manages to get the nomination

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins the nomination of the GQP. That said, Trump lost last year, and he'll lose again next time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I can see one motivation Trump might have for not trying to be the next Republican candidate for president - saving face. If he tried to run with a new party, or just blustered that it was all beneath him now, and he was on to bigger and better things, that would be in character.

If your reaction to the above was "bigger? what's bigger?" I agree. But this is Trump we're talking about - it would be in character for him to think whatever he decided to do next is Much More Important because he's doing it, even if it is color-coding his ties.

Oooooh, maybe he'll try to qualify for the Masters, with his passion for golf!  :laughing-rofl:

Seriously, I am hoping he will be so busy trying to find lawyers for all of the criminal and civil suits he will face, that he will have no time or money to run. As I've said before, I really want him to end up serving a long, boring, powerless prison sentence.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 13

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins the nomination of the GQP. That said, Trump lost last year, and he'll lose again next time. 

I'm not so sure (yes, you may call me a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Trump. I can see Trump/The Republicans continuing to make it more challenging to vote, especially if you aren't voting in person (I know I posted an article about the way state legislatures are making voting more difficult). If they are moving voting back to the polls and use electronic machines, I think those could be manipulated. I'm not talking about the Dominion machines, I'm talking about the other brand (can't think of their name off the top of my head) that were used in Kentucky and South Carolina that gave victories to McConnell and Graham despite polls that showed them significantly behind.

In other words, there is no level of awful that I don't believe Republicans will stoop to. If you watch carefully, it seems like they actively try to do the awful things they accuse Democrats of doing.

• I Agree 8

I wonder if the point was really to acquit.  I think the majority had their mind made up before the trial started and it was known their mind was made up.  The trial showed that the country is divided, that some don’t have any interest in working together and that Congress as a majority wont let events get ignored.

I think the trials purpose was accomplished.  Republicans (or the like) have zero to be rejoicing about.  Trump still went down in history as being the only president to be impeached twice and leaving office on the end of a horrific time in our history.

yes he was acquitted, but it’s not as if he was acquired by a jury of his peers or an impartial jury.  He was acquitted by a group of people who seemed to not care about the trial. 

• Upvote 8

• GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic