IGNORED

Impeachment Number Two

GreyhoundFan

2 hours ago, KWLand said:

I wonder if the point was really to acquit.  I think the majority had their mind made up before the trial started and it was known their mind was made up.  The trial showed that the country is divided, that some don’t have any interest in working together and that Congress as a majority wont let events get ignored.

I think the trials purpose was accomplished.  Republicans (or the like) have zero to be rejoicing about.  Trump still went down in history as being the only president to be impeached twice and leaving office on the end of a horrific time in our history.

yes he was acquitted, but it’s not as if he was acquired by a jury of his peers or an impartial jury.  He was acquitted by a group of people who seemed to not care about the trial. 

Had his party not been in the majority for that first impeachment, the vote might have been very different. As many in the Senate (and those who work with them) have reported, behind closed doors, most of them hate Trump and what he did on Jan 6th, and I’ve also heard it reported that if the vote had been taken anonymously, Trump would have been convicted. The circumstances allowed him to walk, both times. The GOP is trying horribly not to lose face and respect, and they are losing more than they are gaining.

I think once the suits start to be filed against him and the speed at which things come flying at Trump surpasses his ability to duck, Bob and weave, his power over the party will dwindle.

A bunch of angry yahoos, many of whom have been determined to be non voters, can only hold the folks in charge hostage for so long.

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

In other words, there is no level of awful that I don't believe Republicans will stoop to. If you watch carefully, it seems like they actively try to do the awful things they accuse Democrats of doing.

I agree, but particularly find that anything Trump and his flying monkeys accuse their opposition of0 doing turns out to be a really good place to start looking at them. They don't have much imagination apparently.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

7 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I agree, but particularly find that anything Trump and his flying monkeys accuse their opposition of0 doing turns out to be a really good place to start looking at them. They don't have much imagination apparently.

They really are like preschoolers.

"Mommy, I love you! I'm not coloring on the wall." Go in and the wall feature's child's crayon art.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Trump running in 2024 is not my concern. It’s too far away, it’s a democratic process that will see him lose again, and in the meantime the Dems have control of house, senate and White House. Trump’s base are riled up NOW, fascism is boiling and they just saw their hero get acquitted despite the Democrat senate majority. My fear is not for the next presidential election, it’s for another means of unconstitutional overthrow, and sooner than 2024. I’m also not entirely sure Trump is the guy poised to be the next dictator; he just laid the groundwork and someone else may well swoop in and capitalise.

Basically, I do hope Trump faces a reckoning in the courts (though tbh I’m not holding my breath) and a sanction that means he cannot run again, but combating Trump the individual is not enough. There’s a large fascist group in the USA that are just looking for their next strongman.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:30 AM, church_of_dog said:

I have recently discovered an online "magazine" that presents fact-based (and footnoted) articles about very current events.  I've even subscribed to their daily email (in general I'm trying to reduce content thrown at me in this way, but I was so impressed with these folks that I signed up).

theconversation.com

I’m so torn about The Conversation. On the one hand, everything is researched, fact-based and written by experts in the field, so it’s a reliable source and good for sharing with others. On the other hand, those writers are not paid. Classic academia, I guess :(

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

21 minutes ago, Smee said:

Basically, I do hope Trump faces a reckoning in the courts (though tbh I’m not holding my breath) and a sanction that means he cannot run again, but combating Trump the individual is not enough. There’s a large fascist group in the USA that are just looking for their next strongman.

I’m also afraid that whoever that is is sitting back and taking notes on what to to better next time. The next guy has the potential to be more insidious and more successful which is terrifying. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 13

20 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I’m also afraid that whoever that is is sitting back and taking notes on what to to better next time. The next guy has the potential to be more insidious and more successful which is terrifying. 

Yep...the next one might be intelligent, less impulsive, better connected and more cunning.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 10

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yep...the next one might be intelligent, less impulsive, better connected and more cunning.

And golf less. 

Imagine the damage Trump could have done if he had even a decent work ethic and enough long game to pass the marshmallow test? It's really terrifying. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Hawley.  He's dangerous.  He's a Dominionist, he's smarter than Trump, and he's trying to keep hold of Trump's base.

As for McConnell, I think he was just trying to have it both ways.  He wants Trump out of the picture but he wants the Democrats to do it for him so his hands will stay clean.  He knows the base cares more about the impeachment vote than any speech he might make.  I think he is about as loathsome as they come.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I can’t believe he’s still pushing “74 million Americans voted for me!”  Umm, 81 million voted against you.  Basic math.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 11

On 2/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, fraurosena said:

Where did he get his law degree again?

I'm guessing Trump University.

• Haha 8

image.thumb.png.f422004438fedb0ceebb3bcb511816db.png

Grassley is like 145 years old, so maybe he won't run again.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.thumb.png.f422004438fedb0ceebb3bcb511816db.png

Grassley is like 145 years old, so maybe he won't run again.

He's one of my Senators (sorry. I sure as hell have never voted for him), and local news is reporting he will likely run again. And if not, he's been grooming his grandson (currently a member of state congress) to run as his replacement. Nepotism at it's finest ?

• Thank You 6

41 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

He's one of my Senators (sorry. I sure as hell have never voted for him), and local news is reporting he will likely run again. And if not, he's been grooming his grandson (currently a member of state congress) to run as his replacement. Nepotism at it's finest ?

I saw the story about Grasshole III having a hissy fit about a woman wearing jeans in the state house, but he won't enforce mask wearing. The wormy apple didn't fall far from the icky tree.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

She is so right.

And you know what, that shitty, swampy behavior exhibited by the Senate GOP members is why we got a President Trump in the first place. People were/are sick of this BS. Anyone who didn’t show up for work and to listen to the case presented, shouldn’t have been allowed to vote and should have been docked pay and censored. McConnell should be fired. You don’t get to make a speech that pretty much states that the defendant was guilty as hell mere moments after voting that d/t a fake technicality (one you created yourself), Trump could not be found guilty. STFU and get the hell out. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • I Agree 7

On 2/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I saw the story about Grasshole III having a hissy fit about a woman wearing jeans in the state house, but he won't enforce mask wearing. The wormy apple didn't fall far from the icky tree.

Yeah I heard about that too.  Grasshole III (btw stealing that) is one guy I hope doesn't ride Chuckles shirt tails into the Senate and he gets short circuited when Chuckles decides to retire.

And for the latest episode of BTs eating their own;

Eleven members of Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger's family sent him a vitriolic letter accusing him of being a member of the "devil's army" in light of his criticism of then-President Donald Trump after the January 6 insurrection, The New York Times reported Monday.

"Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God!" they wrote to the Illinois Republican, according to a copy of the letter obtained by the paper, rebuking his "horrible, rude accusations of President Trump."

"It is now most embarrassing to us that we are related to you," they continued in the letter, which was dated January 8, after Kinzinger called for the 25th Amendment to be used to remove Trump from office. "You have embarrassed the Kinzinger family name!"

Kinzinger was one of 10 Republicans who later joined all House Democrats in voting to impeach Trump last month for "incitement of insurrection" in light of his role in encouraging the riot at the US Capitol.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

PA GQP thoughts on Toomey's having a bit of a spine:

• Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 7

This nimrod continues to make no sense:

• Eyeroll 5

10 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This nimrod continues to make no sense:

Whut? image.png.c7d33ac386f2151119a57d782e6d3846.png

• I Agree 7

Eleven members of Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger's family sent him a vitriolic letter accusing him of being a member of the "devil's army" in light of his criticism of then-President Donald Trump after the January 6 insurrection, The New York Times reported Monday.

@47of74, I parachuted in to post this, but you've already covered it!   It's also on the CNN home page.  It's a perfect example of a Christo-Trumpism, and although we're entertained as bystanders in a family drama, it's worth paying very close attention to this dynamic.  His extended family has demonstrated that for them, Trump is now a Christian prophet anointed by God and in their minds,  shunning him while trying to destroy his reputation is the appropriate course of action.  

A peripheral facebook friend from Day 1 has called out people for being "disrespectful" to Trump.  She called him the hardest working president we've ever had.  I haven't seen it directly, but I assume there is XTian social media that has worked 24-7 to portray Trump as being this perfect guy, really kinda like what Joe Biden is actually like. 

• Thank You 8

• GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic