IGNORED

Following on Hitler's footsteps: Judaism declared a nationality

laPapessaGiovanna

The Orange Leader will sign an executive order on Wednesday to interpret Judaism as a nationality and not just a religion. I am trembling with rage that I can't find word strong enough to express the outrage, the rage and the fear.  This is like Germany in the 30s, like the 1938 Manifesto della Razza. This is a perfect way to other American Jews with the bullshit excuse of curbing antisemitism on Universities' campuses. The excuse is bullshit because Israeli is already a nationality and this doesn't stop the fair criticism Israel receives for its policies towards Palestinians. Making Judaism a nationality won't change it, but will change a lot for American Jews, dual nationality, dual loyalty, sounds familiar? It strangely echoes David Duke's ideas. The man who will get impeached by the House and absolved by the Senate, the guy who runs detention camps for children, the guy who is friend with a long list of dictators now dictates that American Jews' nationality is not just American. This is ominous.

CNN article

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 9

25 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

This is ominous.

This so much so. What the hell has happened to my country? I really can't put all my fears into words right now.  This is scary as fuck.

• I Agree 12

Somehow I don't get which religion is now the witch in witch-hunt. the (Palestinian) Moslems?

But yes we've seen all this less than 100 years ago and yet it's still happening and most people refuse to see it. [emoji2959]

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Smash! said:

Somehow I don't get which religion is now the witch in witch-hunt. the (Palestinian) Moslems?

I was wondering what the hell he is thinking (I know -- when does he ever think?) - I assume he thinks this is somehow helpful to Jews and/or Israel.

It isn't, orange fuckface -- it's a slap in the face, and a dangerous precedent, for anyone who would like to see peace in the middle east, and people of all religious background get along.

As the old saying goes -- with "friends" like these, who needs enemies?

ETA - just saw the link in Emma's post. If true, that's a relief. Trump is such an asshole, I would believe just about anything.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Emma said:

Thank you for this. It seems that the NYT's article was inaccurate at best. It would be interesting to know why they published that information (my theory is it was orchestrated by the WH to scare people into accepting without protesting a less scary version that probably would have sparked protests otherwise, but it's just a theory of mine).

Nevertheless the EO is controversial and will create problems to people who are critical of Israel, without improving the situation for Jews that are very much at risk of being targeted by white supremacist terrorism. The problem arises from the adoption of the IHRA's definition of Antisemitism, a definition that is not legally binding but that has been adopted by some countries. The problem with this definition is that it makes it easy to conflate legitimate criticism of the state of Israel's policies with antisemitism.

The definition says: "Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities." If you consider that Israel is considered as the Jewish state you can see how its institutions fall under the definition and how this would make criticism of said institutions' actions acts of Antisemitism, de facto curtailing free speech.

This is also dangerous for American Jews because it muddies the waters and plays into the hands of the far right groups whose long time strategy has been conflating the different concepts of Judaism as a religion, Judaism as a culture, Israel as a state and Jews as people.

So in the end this is not as ominous as it was reported yesterday, but it's not good news either.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

It's okay because Trump is Jewish. Or he should be.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mark-levin-calls-trump-first-jewish-president/ar-AAK3X2z

Conservative radio talk show host Mark Levin called President Trump the nation's "first Jewish President" during a Hanukkah party at the White House on Wednesday.

"It's an honor to be here with the first Jewish President of the United States," Levin said. "And if he isn't, he should be."

Trump smiled in response to the reference.

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 6