IGNORED

SmartPhone Pictures Pose Privacy Risks

Guest Snarkyjan

Guest Anonymous

A friend of mine sent this to me earlier today. I'm posting it here for the benefit of anyone who

has SmartPhones and/or kids. I know it's off-topic but I thought more readers would see it here.

Smartphone pictures pose privacy risks

Pictures you've e-mailed or uploaded from your smartphone could leak information that can threaten your safety or that of your children. Visit http://tinyurl.com/smartphonerisks to read much more on…

00:03:56

Added on 11/10/10

Subject: If you or your kids take pictures from your phone watch this

Please read the following & forward to family & friends, this is not a joke. "Warning" If you or kids take pics from your phone?

WATCH THIS!

This is truly alarming - please take the time to watch. At the end they'll tell you how to set your phone so you don't run this risk!

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO TO ANYONE YOU KNOW

WHO TAKES PICTURES WITH THEIR CELL OR

SMART PHONE AND POSTS THEM ONLINE.

I want everyone of you to watch this and then be sure to share with all your family and friends. Its REALLY important info, about what your posting things on your cell phones can do TO YOU!!!

Too much technology out there these days so beware...........

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THIS VIDEO,

AND TAKE THE RECOMMENDED PRECAUTIONS.

If you have children or grandchildren you NEED to watch this.

I had no idea this could happen from taking pictures on the

blackberry or cell phone.

I don't click on links from people I don't 'know' with tiny urls or youtube vids, especially with repeated commands for me to "watch this" with no explanation.

SnarkyJan has been around quite a while, but having found nothing about this on Snopes.com I'm not clicking either. Word to the wise etc.

The link is to a news station, and to be honest, it's a fairly sensational news piece that is fairly common sense.

the fear of the post about the fear of posting kind of ironic. it is youtube look at the link when you put the curser over it. this is what youtube links always look like.

Yes, it has to do w "geotagging" which means the location at which you took a smartphone photo is available if you haven't disabled your GPS doohickey. Good to know about!! Not particularly troubling for me & my house but some should think twice.

I do think this needs to be on the Chatter board and not on the Snark board.

SnarkyJan is a regular, so I wouldn't worry there. My MIL sent me the same email a few weeks ago, and it was a legitimate link.

Archived